SYDENHAM ROAD IMPROVEMENT SCHEME LATEST

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

SYDENHAM ROAD IMPROVEMENT SCHEME LATEST

Post by leenewham »

Some good news for us Upper Beckenham dwellers (Or Lower Sydenham as some call it).

The road improvement scheme looks like it's being extended down to Kent House Road.

Worth putting in the news section admin?

Sydenham Road Improvement Scheme

A £4.7m scheme to improve Sydenham Road will be underway by August. Lewisham’s Mayor and Cabinet committee gave the go-ahead to the scheme on Wednesday evening (20 January), so now it’s down to the tendering and construction phases, starting with improvements to Station Approach. And the good news is that the eastern end of the high street – from Mayow Road to Kent House Road - is also included in the revamp. The scheme will work as follows:

Cobb’s Corner to Mayow Road

£3.6m scheme to improve the core section of the high street.
This includes £310,000 to improve Sydenham Station Approach.
At the recent public exhibition 957 people completed comment cards. In response to the question – Do you support the proposals overall? – 89% answered yes; 6% No; 5% don’t know and 1% gave no answer.

Mayow Road to Kent House Road
A £1.1m scheme to improve the 'lower' section of the high street.
Timetable:
20 January 2010 – Both schemes to be approved by Lewisham Mayor and Cabinet.
March 2010 – List of tenderers agreed
May 2010 – Tenders issued
July 2010 – Tender evaluation results reported to Mayor and Cabinet
August 2010 – Work commences
November 2010 to Mid January 2011 – Minimal disruption works (side streets Station Approach etc)
August 2011 – Works completed Cobb’s Corner to Mayow Road
August 2011 to August 2012 – Works completed Mayow Road to Kent House Road

It was posted on both:
http://thorpesresidents.blogspot.com/20 ... -road.html
sydenhamsociety.com
michael

Post by michael »

There are some exciting new glass information boards about the Sydenham High Street improvements currently 'on display' in the Clyde Vale industrial estate, propped up against a van.

Expect to see this near the station soon, however for the moment it reminds me of a similar discussion:
Douglas Adams wrote:“Oh yes, well, as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn’t exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything.”

“But the plans were on display . . .”

“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”

“That’s the display department.”

“With a flashlight.”

“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”

“So had the stairs.”

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”

“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.’”
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Thank you for sharing that with us, Michael :D
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

that's great news Lee, it felt like the lower part of the high street was really missing out with the proposals.

It's just such a shame its going to take so bloody long to do it. With the gas & water works some part of the high street will have been dug up for going on 4 years by the time they finish. Oh well, that's the pace of progress I 'spose.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Good God it takes them a long time to issue a tender
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Bloody great news. Maybe Sydenham high street will finally begin to reflect its inhabitants. That's made me feel that strange day I spent posting all those leaflets around Silverdale was worth while. I definitely re-connected with my inner-paperboy that day. The London Overground extension and the high street spruce up .. great days ahead for Sydenham !!!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Sydenhamboy:

You wrote:
That's made me feel that strange day I spent posting all those leaflets around Silverdale was worth while. I definitely re-connected with my inner-paperboy that day. The London Overground extension and the high street spruce up .. great days ahead for Sydenham !!!
Well - join the club - or should I say join the Sydenham Society? Because it's just this sort of well considered campaigning that we can do, or in this case, come in behind others like you who feel the same sort of commitment to where we live. Plus, by having an established membership structure, and relationships with Councillors and officers, we can be that much more effective!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I echo Tim's sentiments.

I'd also like to add a big well-done to a number of people. To the ~20 people who gave up a good deal of their time to pound the streets of Sydders leafleting to raise awareness I say thank you, unreservedly. The same plaudits go to those who 'manned' the exhibition at the old House Of Linens on the weekend. A bit self-congratulatory there but hey ho! :oops:

MORE importantly I'd like to say a big well-done and thank you to the almost two-thousand people who really made a difference. By this I mean those who signed the e-petition and/or the paper petition and those who also visited the exhibition to give their approval. Without you this scheme would likely not have gone ahead.

Finally, to those who constantly rubbish Sydders but never do anything productive to change it and just moan all the time [you know who you are] then hang your head in shame...

Mostly though, well done all!
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

ooh - I'm starting to believe we live in a democracy again.

A lot of hard work and commitment to the area has resulted in many more locals voicing their opinion than would have occurred had the efforts not been made.

The results - speak for themselves.

Bleedin' well done !

Yea.