Fishmonger then Butchers to open on Sydenham Road...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
tulip1

Re: Fishmonger then Butchers to open on Sydenham Road...

Post by tulip1 »

Yes I agree the previous cobbler was lovely (Hassan) but Errol has opened up as the new cobbler on the high street (oops Sydenham Road) and also offers a fab and friendly service (his shop is the one that used to be a cafe).

Having a fresh fish shop on the high street would be so welcome in my book. I heard that if the fish business goes well, might also open up a fish restaurant. That would be a wonderful addition to the high street (did it again!). Wish the new owners all the very best in their new business. :D
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Do we know if they're still planning on adding a butchers following setting up with fish? Or are they focussing on the fish only?

I must say that given the choice between a butchers and fishmongers, I'd take the fishmongers, but I'd use it a lot more if they offered both.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes they are, but apparently it takes longer to become a qualified Butcher than it does to be a Fishmonger. There's more Health and Safety and training required, ie. cuts of meat, etc. It will also sell frozen fish and fish related produce - such as ingredients for sauces, lemons, etc.
amob

Post by amob »

Hello everybody, I just registered on the website because I got wind of the talk of the shop.

I am the afore mentioned Greengrocers son, but you can call me The Fishman... Or Amo, which is what everyone else calls me. Haha.

I'd just like to let everyone know that yes the fishmongers is well on its way and should be open for trading on or around the 28th of July (fingers crossed).

We certainly will be taking into considerations all of the suggestions and will be trying our best to accommodate all of your requirements such as ethically sourced local produce.

We will be opening the Butchers in the near future as well, sometime before the new year, however a firm date has not be set.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any particular suggestions, I will be more than glad to relieve them.

I would finally like to thank Lee for all his hard work in this process and would highly recommend him to anyone.

Regards Fishman. I mean Amo.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Hi Fishman:

This is great - we will be among your first customers, especially now (most of) the rest of my family eat fish.

Can I offer a word of advice about this Forum? It is your friend, but the odds are that one day you will displease a customer in some way, who will come on here and have a go at you. As long as you are doing the right thing for your customers in general, you'll find they will reply to any critics. We know your Mum and Dad, we know how good independent traders are for any High Street.

On the other hand, critics are sometimes themselves your best friend; we live in a culture where criticising someone to their face, even fairly, is unacceptably rude. So people posting anonymously on this Forum having a go at you may be a useful way of learning when you go wrong. In any case, the follow up discussion is certainly going to be useful.

Embrace the Forum, even when it hurts. Talk to George at Kente. He contacted me soon after he opened, when there were some negative stuff about him here - and I was very happy to suggest how he dealt with it. I think now there are only nice things written about Kente now - which is of course mainly because it's a great little coffee shop, rather than George's PR skills. But local PR does help :D
kurtjohnson

Post by kurtjohnson »

Hi all,
Ive known Amo (or the Fishman) for many years now and this is the most excited ive seen him!
He has been very dedicated to this cause and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product of his butchers.
I know with his business sense and his parents experience behind him, we wont be dissapointed and ill be down there getting some fresh fish from him...for free i hope amo mate!! :D
anyway, take care guys
Kurt