Fishmonger then Butchers to open on Sydenham Road...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hello all

I was in the fruit and veg shop on Syders Road and the lady told me her son is going to be opening a fishmongers where the cobblers currently is on the high street. He's retiring you see, he's been there years and owns the shop apparently so will be paid rent, thus giving him a good pension, for those that were worried as I was.

Anyway, they are looking at opening in April, her son is doing all the courses now and they seem to have a good grasp of what people want. Once it is established they hope to open a proper British Butchers in the same space. At the moment, they go to Nunhead for their fish and William Rose for their meat so have a good idea on what to deliver. For me this is going to be a real treat!

She told me I can tell people so thought I'd mention it to you lot.

G-Man
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Great News

From a cobblers to a fishmonger - they've got to call it 'Sole to Sole'.

:D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Actually that's a great name!

I'm hoping to do a what if on this...We have contacted them.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

:D That is fantastic news - will very much look forward to this :D
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

And I've also suggested Dan, who did the web site for Sugahill http://www.sugahillcafe.com/ that he get in touch. Of course if Ariana wants to pitch for the business as well Lee ...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ooops. I deliberately have not used Sydenham Town to advertise our services. It is our gift to the community.

However, Sydenham Town depends on my business clients to pay the bills. So if you want to help support Sydenham Town and want a new or refreshed website or need to cut your hosting and domain management costs - do give us a call (or PM). Doing the internet from Sydenham since 1993!

With apologies,
Admin 020 7043 6866
Cardunculus

Post by Cardunculus »

Hello All,
I still remember getting my lips stuck on the freezer of the old fishmongers, which closed down some years ago due to lack of trade. This is a very welcome development but... oh, the irony. :D
Monica

Post by Monica »

This is great news! Although I will miss the cobblers, I like that guy.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Sad that the old cobblers is closing as well - it's a great old shop - but couldn't be more excited about the prospect of a decent butchers and fishmongers.

If they do a good job and are selling quality meat and fish, this should be excellent news for the rest of high street as well.

I enjoy doing a food shop at the various stores up and down the high street but tend not to do it regularly because there's nowhere to get decent fish or meat.

If there's a fishmonger and butcher on the street, chances are I'll be doing a food shop there much more regularly.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Yes, it is a shame about the cobblers but the great thing is he apparently owns the shop so if you spend money in the fishmongers/butchers you're giving him a happy retirement!

On the produce note, the conversation I had with Mrs Greengrocer was very much along the lines of well sourced good food.

G-Man
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes, not only selling fish, shellfood - fresh and frozen, but also herbs and sauces to accompany the fish.

The retail unit is perfect as it has a concrete floor, (it used to be a bank) and this is necessary for selling fish/meat for hygiene reasons.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

great news, wish them the best of luck
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I don't envy the crew that has the job of removing the massive piece of machinery from the cobblers. I too will be sad to see him go. I get him to put a Bavarian leather on the soles of my shoes. Lasts alot longer but admittedly much more expensive [~£75 for heel and said sole]. I hope he enoys his retirement. You always get a good natter from him when you go in.

As for the furture use...brilliant news! I really cannot wait. Things are finally starting to happen here in Sydders. Brilliant to see and hear of.
simon

Post by simon »

I shall also miss the old cobbler. He was able to furnish me witha new pair of Loakes loafers just two days after ordering. At first I found him a bit dour but after a while he lightened up. Remember seeing him one morning curising becuase he was locked out of his own shop. I laughed and said that was ironic, what with him selling keys etc. He completeley failed to see any humour in the situation at all.
The last fish shop we had was ok, but he used to have a board outside advertising all manner of piscean delights, but never actually had any of them in stock.
Last edited by simon on 7 Feb 2010 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
multisync

Post by multisync »

What about Haji's the butcher
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I think Wispy Wonder has the prize for best name all sewn up. Excellent.

The closest I got to anything remotely acceptable was "lace to plaice"...but I know when I'm well beaten.

Simon's right. It takes him a little while. I once made the mistake of presenting him with a pair of Bally shoes to resole. He almost threw them back at me! Lack of Goodyear Welt on Italian shoes, apparently...much shaking of head and tutting ensued on his part. Now, I'm allowed in with my Churches et al.

He's a good craic and AFAIR he still keeps to traditional opening times and has half-day Wednesdays?

He'll be missed. A real slow burn of a character.

Out of interest, if it's April for the fish, any timescale for the meat?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

multisync wrote:What about Haji's the butcher
I personally just don't like the smell of the shop and also, although it might be, I also supsect the meat is not sustainably sourced, I also suspect that none of the meat is free range and that few of the animals have had a particularly good life, which for me is important.

You can, by all means, prove me wrong.

What we need is a good free range butchers and sustainably sourced fish mongers - which I believe is what we will get.

G-man
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For those that are interested here is a profile of Haji's I did when they opened: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/haji.html

Admin
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Agree. Me and my better half would use Fresh and Fruity or a local butcher etc if the meat or fish was sustainable, or the vegetables and fruit was local, fair trade or organic (in that order).

It appears the closest I can get to that ideal is Sainbury's, so we shop there.

I'd rather support a small local shop where we know the owner and I can pick up stuff on my way home.

Having a decent butcher who knows how to prepare food and gives you great tips is a fantastic resource I miss.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

ahh a new flavour of the month

just like the blue mountain until they annoyed some sydenhamites

"wow blue mountain!!" bah - "they played music I don't like!!!"

People on this site are so annoying at times - we have a perfectly good butchers on the high street - I go there regularly and the meat I have purchased has been nothing but perfect - maybe its not laid out in a way the affore mentioned Sydenhamites like !! - I'll be sure to ask them to play drum and bass next time im in there - so you defo won't go there!

This forum is as good as it is bad - good for letting us know the local goings on - bad for the downright snobbery that is put across in some of the postings!!

thats my whinge done - enjoy slatting me for my post Adios
G.