short plays and installations -Venner Road, this weekend!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
spanishsydenhamgirl

short plays and installations -Venner Road, this weekend!

Post by spanishsydenhamgirl »

Ever wondered about number 88 Venner Road? Hey, maybe it's officially Penge, but it's almost Sydenham.

Here's a chance to have a look inside - £7 or £5 concessions http://www.enterthehome.com/

Looks pretty interesting!
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

Is that the big house that was done up recently? I've always wanted to know what that was all about. I was pleased to see it wasn't turned into lots of conversions.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

It's without a shadow of a doubt Sydders, albeit within the London Borough of Bromley and not Lewisham. It's a slight shame that it incorrectly advertises itself as 'within the depths of urban Penge' as it is neither urban, nor in Penge...

I've always been keen to snoop around in that place. Doesn't look as foreboding now they've white-washed it/renovated though.

Love the website!
poppy

Post by poppy »

I would have thought Sydenham too.

The bottom of my road (which is probably equidistant in terms of distance from the high street) is London Borough of Bromley but is probably 10 mins closer (walking) to Sydenham high street.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Can I also ask if it is suitable for children?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I didn't mean to denigrate the post. It looks really interesting and the website is really fantastic. I might go along...if only to see inside that [once] spooky old building.

I just think it's a little on the lazy side to not realise that although it's LB Bromley it's not Penge but Sydenham. Even if you don't think an SE26 post-code is enough to convince (although I do) I'm fairly certain it's also within the parish of All Saints, Sydenham.

Anyway, thanks for the link spanishsydenhamgirl, I think I'll take a look.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Is that what I always think of as the "plantation house"? Can't get anywhere with that link, though, I'm afraid.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

It isn't immediately obvious, I'll agree Alywin.

If you hover over the floorplans they'll 'grey out'. Then press click and you can choose About/Who/Tickets/Getting There and Links...

It's a clever site. Maybe too clever by half?
mikej

Post by mikej »

I've tried to find it on google maps' Steet View, but there's just a run of substantial Victorian semis. Is it one of those?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

If you actually put in 88 Venner Road into Google Earth it's the large white one.

Double-fronted with a veranda across the length of the ground floor and a sort of wrought-iron affair on the roof-line. If you're coming from Sydenham station it's on your right. Don't bother looking for the 'halfway down a road of terraced housing' as the website suggests...

Because as you point out it's mainly Victorian semis, although at that point it's bordered by some post-war housing.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I went along and checked out the action at 'enter the home' on saturday night. Very interesting to see inside this house which has held some fascination for many sydenhamites as can be seen from the old forum link I have pasted below this post.

Apparently the house is mainly used for photoshoots, and certainly the huge rooms are all whitewashed walls with little else in them, but it appears to have many original features including extremely decorative holey cornicing throughout the house, through which apparently hot air blew in from the boiler in the cellar thus heating the rooms – extremely high-tech at the time I am sure! Its a fascinating house that is almost like someone took a normal sized house and just blew it up by 200%, and so good to see everything interesting about it preserved. The back room in particular is gigantic and runs the width of the house. Some people also apparently live in some rooms of the house though there was little evidence of habitation as far as I could see!

The actual event was was a collection of rather random but charming performances & installations by a collection of young performers. Particularly enjoyed 'dolls and dollies', the most conventional of the 3 'plays' we saw, and this was performed in part of the incredibly atmospheric attic of the house. This play itself was extremely atmospheric and I thought well acted, and was accompanied by some gorgeous live cello playing.

The place had been hired just for the 3 evenings performances and was a great use of the space, kind of in the mold of 'masque of the red death' if you know what I mean.

I hope that the building gets used for more events of this type, they'd certainly be a good addition to the Sydenham Arts Festival in the summer.

This is the link to an old thread about the same house:

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewto ... 810816c46c
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Gutted I missed this - any plans for another?

G-man