Urban fox friend or foe?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

urban foxes are just crap
Miserableold-ish git

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

without getting too "heavy" about it, surely the Foxes were in this area long before the Sensible,Wonderful Human Race came along ?
Just my Opinion.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Without getting too "heavy" about it, surely the Foxes were in this area long before the Sensible,Wonderful Human Race came along? Just my Opinion.
Yes, but until they get broadband their opinion counts for nothing.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Perhaps Monsieur Reynard was around in SE26 before homo sap...So what...? So were all number of diseases, bacteria, rats....

What? Are foxes now claiming squatters rights?

They belong in rural settings...Not chewing the faces off local babies in town or dining on pussies in Sydenham.

When you describe Homo Sap as 'sensible, wonderful' , you are, of course, being ironic. But consider, we have come up with those concepts and we have invented a means of expressing them. That is sensible...And ironic, and...rather wonderful.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Foxes have every right to maul and eat cats, just as cats have every right to maul and eat small animals and birds. If your cat is too old/slow/stupid to be caught by a fox then so be it - it's nature in action, embrace it!
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

I'm with Willy and Darwin on this - I've got three cats at varying stages of age, weight and stupidity. I keep them in at night to keep them safe but beyond that, when they do go out, they're on their own. Just because we're at the top of the food chain, the same doesn't necessarily apply to our pets.

I'd be gutted if one of them were hurt/eaten but that's the risk all cat owners face. They seem to dodge traffic pretty well anyway.

The only thing I hate about foxes is their copious crapping. We get fresh deposits most days in our garden. Human wee doesn't put them off either.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

This morning I saw a fox out of the kitchen window, eating from a pile of dropped food - I thought it was put out by someone, but later realised, by the further mess down the road, that it was debris dropped by the useless bin men - anyway, I filmed said fox on my mobile for just over a minute (this wasn't Sydenham, it's at the top of Taymount Rise, Forest Hill - we haven't moved to Sydenham yet) - he scarperd as I opened the front door... and following on from this, looking out of the first floor window yesterday, I was watching the little birdies flitting around the feeders we have out, when I noticed a spray of feathers rising on a draught, and looked further down to see a small black cat landing on the floor with a blue tit in it's mouth! I was amazed at the cats agility to have caught a small bird mid flight.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Love the image...'Embrace nature in action''...Great!!
Love the idea of animal rights [?] Kill or be killed. Brilliant!!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I saw a whole family of mummy fox and five fox cubs playing in our neighbour's garden a few days ago, here they are enjoying the sunshine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcT6WDsmxwQ

Cat-killing, bin-bag ripping, shoe-stealing menaces they may be, but those fox cubs are soooo cute!
mrs woman

Post by mrs woman »

Wispy Wonder wrote:
The only thing I hate about foxes is their copious crapping. We get fresh deposits most days in our garden. Human wee doesn't put them off either.
:D
simono

Post by simono »

I have an old cat and so don't let her out much as there are a lot of foxes about. But there is a family of foxes living in the Greyhound (some sort of irony there) who have been playing in the sun today and it was really wonderful.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

They may look cutely wonderful. But, let there be no doubt; they're cunning beasts ...They're practicing for the kill. Our pussies are on the line!!
Yellow Peril

A grisly discovery.

Post by Yellow Peril »

An hour or so ago, I looked out of my window and spotted a bundle of something furry nestling beside my garage. Thinking it might be something a cat had killed and left, I went to investigate. To my horror, it was a severed fox's head with no sign anywhere of the rest of the body!
I was about to deal with it, when a young cub came along, had a chew on the bloodied stump before trying to drag it off.
It's now in my bin, to ensure that I don't unexpectedly find something crunchy and fly-blown underfoot at any time over the next few days.
Does anyone have any idea about what might have done this? I don't think it would have been the cat. He's looking far too innocent.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

It couldn't be... you don't think... might be... The Beast of Sydenham?
pip

Post by pip »

Nah, She was out tonight.
I know! I had to stay home and watch the kids.
But there again....Who knows?
lbere

Post by lbere »

Gosh, Im not sure how close you looked but was it a 'clean' beheading or a 'severed' beheading?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hahahahahahahahahahaha...
Yellow Peril

Post by Yellow Peril »

lbere wrote:Gosh, Im not sure how close you looked but was it a 'clean' beheading or a 'severed' beheading?
Hmm, it was a bit of a gnarly stump, especially after the wee cub had taken a few bites. It's now a putrified sweaty head - until the pest control guys eventually come and fish it out of my bin.
Judging by the expression on its face, it wasn't best pleased to be parted from its bod.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I'm sure I've said it before on here but I will say it again anyway. The foxes around here are sneaky beggars. I have had shoes stolen and chewed up to be found in my own and the neighbours' gardens AND I had a fox who stayed a whole day in our place once as it got locked inside! Also, I woke up one night to a fox scrabbling its paw around my bedside table (we used to be able to sleep with the bedroom door open to the garden in the summer but not anymore!)
poulet

Post by poulet »