Have you made up you're mind yet?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
CaptainCarCrash

Have you made up you're mind yet?

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

I have said that I have had enough of Labour and all of the stealth taxes which there are over 178 of them. The cost of living in my household has almost put me in the poor house and I am supposedly within the top 10% of earners in this country however this isn't enough if you want to own you're own home or have a small business.

I remember asking 6 years ago "How can people afford their own home?".

This was when I saw that a broom cupboard had sold for 100K

With the banking crisis and the economy in tatters and many other pressing issues I think it's time for a change so I have decided Disco Dave and co are getting my vote, I've turned my back on Labour and I think it's time for something new.

I looked at the lib-dems but I'm not convinced they can deliver.

I never thought I'd vote conservative but they can't be any worse than Labour, can they?
Last edited by CaptainCarCrash on 5 May 2010 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Yes.
CaptainCarCrash

digime2007 wrote:Yes.
ROFLMAO :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I remember the 80's and early 90's so yes, it can be worse. Taxes seem to go up whoever is in power. Remember Thatcher put up VAT from 15% to 17.5%. Remember the poll tax? Remember when council houses stopped being built, remember when grants for going to college were cut, remember when you had to pay to go to museums, remember when the government for london was abolished because Thatcher didn't like the GLC...

I have made up my mind. Can't wait for tomorrow.
CaptainCarCrash

You forgot the miners Lee.
Last edited by CaptainCarCrash on 5 May 2010 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

He's just bitter because she took away his school milk...
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

mikecg wrote:You forgot the minors
I grew up in a small mining village in Yorkshire. 90% of my family were employed by the Coal Board; quite a few of them were coalminers. They did themselves absolutely no favours by allowing the idiot Scargill to lead them into a battle which, frankly, they were never going to win. The miners and their families were comparatively well looked-after by their union, receiving strike pay and eating free meals three times a day. My mum, a cleaner at the time, and my dad, who worked in the offices, both Coal Board employees, got absolutely nothing. The miners, without work but still with food and an income, did nothing to help other groups of people affected by the strike.
mikecg wrote:I have decided Disco Dave and co are getting my vote
I'll just be happy to see the back of the current administration, which is comprised of some of the nastiest, most controlling and self-interested morons ever to enter government. In our constituency, that means voting LibDem, no matter how much I fancy giving Dave a shot at proving his Liberal Conservative credentials.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I'm voting Labour all the way.

Lib Dems I don't mind at all.

Conservatives I would never ever vote for. They turn my stomach. And I remember their last go in government only too well, what a total disaster.

Anyone thinking of voting Tory I'd say remember 'Dame' Shirley Porter?! That's the true face of the tories!!
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

I agree with Juwlz, only I trust the Lib Dems about the same amount as the tories - look at their form - always first to jump in bed with the tories. Interestingly they are more than happy to team up with the minority parties locally while their Leader pronounced last week that they would never do so nationally...hypocrites
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Vote Conservative for Change!

Let's try something really radical, like having a couple of old Etonians running the country - there's real change for you.

The problem is that too many people believe the crap put about by the media, primarily the newspapers - most of which are owned by strange megalomaniacal individuals.

The Tories are (and always will be) a bunch of herberts; if you get foooled by them, then you are just as big a herbert yourself.
sydenhamjazzman

Post by sydenhamjazzman »

Definitely Labour. They're the only ones that care about everyone in society.

I'm a little confused about the comments about the miners. Why should the miners' union subs (paid for by the miners themselves) have gone to anyone other than the miners? Why didn't those other workers use their own union funds?

It wasn't the miners that shut down the coal industry and starved these villages of all prospects - they were fighting to keep it - it was the Tory government you should be angry at!

Also - you're somehow linking them with the Labour government - Scargill has got his own anti-Labour party now!

I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks the Tories are less self-interested than the current government. This is the party offering tax breaks to the rich and whose very wealthy leader claimed the maximum on his mortgage when he really didn't need it!
sydenhamjazzman

Post by sydenhamjazzman »

Hey Fishcox, I'll def be having a pizza at your gaff! Any chance you'll want some live jazz?
CaptainCarCrash

fishcox wrote:Vote Conservative for Change!

Let's try something really radical, like having a couple of old Etonians running the country - there's real change for you.

The problem is that too many people believe the crap put about by the media, primarily the newspapers - most of which are owned by strange megalomaniacal individuals.

The Tories are (and always will be) a bunch of herberts; if you get foooled by them, then you are just as big a herbert yourself.
Herbert?

There are reasons I want to see Labour out.

1. The illegal Iraq war and now Afghanistan, These enemies wear no uniform but their belief runs through their veins and the threat they pose to our way of life is far greater than what we faced during our history.

2. The national deficit is the largest we have seen since WW2 which will take years if not decades to recover from, there are going to be deep cuts to public services.

3. Stealth taxes, Labour have introduced at least 178 stealth taxes.

4. Fuel Duty increases I know they were introduced by the Tories but I've had to ditch my V8 for a johny cab and the bus.

5. Immigration, Brown called a woman who questioned Labour Immigration policy a bigot when there clearly are issues with what Europe are dictating to us as well as the issues with illegal immigration.

6. The cost of living in this country is now out of control basic amenities are incredibly expensive with the corporate machine announcing record profits each qtr and the rich poor divide the largest it has ever been.

I think they are good reasons to want something new, I don't think Clegg and Cable are a viable option because I personally don't like their policies in this election and who ever gets in will probably only serve one term of office.
CaptainCarCrash

sydenhamjazzman wrote:Definitely Labour. They're the only ones that care about everyone in society.

I'm a little confused about the comments about the miners. Why should the miners' union subs (paid for by the miners themselves) have gone to anyone other than the miners? Why didn't those other workers use their own union funds?

It wasn't the miners that shut down the coal industry and starved these villages of all prospects - they were fighting to keep it - it was the Tory government you should be angry at!

Also - you're somehow linking them with the Labour government - Scargill has got his own anti-Labour party now!

I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks the Tories are less self-interested than the current government. This is the party offering tax breaks to the rich and whose very wealthy leader claimed the maximum on his mortgage when he really didn't need it!
The miners held this country to ransom but the government at the time would not cave in to their demands, Shall we pay? No, it's cheaper to import it. Goodbye to the uk coal industry it was doomed anyway it's just not clean enough but that's another issue.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

mikecg wrote:
There are reasons I want to see Labour out.

1. The illegal Iraq war and now Afghanistan, These enemies wear no uniform but their belief runs through their veins and the threat they pose to our way of life is far greater than what we faced during our history.
The Tories supported the war, so why'd you still want to vote tory if you're against the war?
mikecg wrote: 2. The national deficit is the largest we have seen since WW2 which will take years if not decades to recover from, there are going to be deep cuts to public services.
There's a global recession - most countries have a debt. Lots of the reasons for the debt are due to things the Tories did before Labour got in power. The Tories are going to take the most from the poor and the least from the rich.
mikecg wrote: 3. Stealth taxes, Labour have introduced at least 178 stealth taxes.
Don't worry – the Tory taxes will be much more 'in your face'.

mikecg wrote: 4. Fuel Duty increases I know they were introduced by the Tories but I've had to ditch my V8 for a johny cab and the bus.
At least the lib dems want to introduce air taxes too. That affects the rich more than the poor, and is at least fair.
mikecg wrote: 5. Immigration, Brown called a woman who questioned Labour Immigration policy a bigot when there clearly are issues with what Europe are dictating to us as well as the issues with illegal immigration.
Maybe she is a bigot. Conservatives aren't proposing to leave the EU – so they will have no power to reduce EU immigration. The tories are weakening our position in the EU by siding with 'nutters', meaning we will have less power, not more.
mikecg wrote: 6. The cost of living in this country is now out of control basic amenities are incredibly expensive with the corporate machine announcing record profits each qtr and the rich poor divide the largest it has ever been.

Do the words 'Lord Ashcroft' mean anything to you?. Oh and why do all the richest people (the head of M&S, Simon Cowell etc) support the Tories??

?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

The Tories supported the War and if enabled to do do would not , unlike Labour , send boys to fight a war with sub standard and insuffucient equipment .

Global recession , true , but we are one of the last to emerge from it with one of the greatest deficits .

In your face , obvious taxation is preferable to underhand sneaky taxes advocated by Brown and co

Labour have had 13 years to amnend fuel Tax legislation and have lost controll if immigration unlike most other EU countries .

It's time for Labour to go , they left us in a mess in 1979 and look what's happened again !
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

mikecg said " The miners held this country to ransom but the government at the time would not cave in to their demands, Shall we pay? No, it's cheaper to import it. Goodbye to the uk coal industry it was doomed anyway it's just not clean enough but that's another issue"

All sounds very familiar, this was certainly the line of the tory press at the time. My recollection was that Maggie was shutting down pits and the miners were striking to keep their jobs. Some may call that holding the country to ransom but then again what exactly did they have to lose? their jobs??

And no, the tories didn't cave into their demands for a living instead they just shut down the industry. They didn't consider investing in retraining or looking at other ways to sustain the communities. They simply weren't, and never are, interested in looking after the common people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFTtYx2OHc[/quote]
CaptainCarCrash

What Dorian said.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Its strange, all the same people that bemoan the demise of Scargill and his mob would now be equally as vocal about the effects on the climate the burning of the fossil fuels produced were having on the environment, a little hypocritical maybe?

Maggie did try and bring in inititaives to retrain those mining Communities but all were rejected as the Union agenda was differnet from those of the actual miners and there families. Selective memories ?

So Raven Drone, how has 13 years under Labour made the Common people " looked after" ?

It makes me laugh that Labour supporters ,after more than a decade still say , " it what the Tories did before us " , LOL. If in the very unfortunate event Labour is re-elected today, will it be after 18 years , still the same excuse ? probably........
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Spare us the left-wing self-righteousness. This government have shown that there are plenty of people they don’t give a toss about. Did they care about the 400 people who died needlessly at Stafford hospital? Or the nearly 300 people who have given their lives in an unwinnable war in Afghanistan? How about the 60m residents of the UK who have been made poorer by the recent devaluation of the pound? The 25m tax payers who now have hundreds of billions of bank liabilities on their balance sheet? Do they care about us and our children, who have been shouldered with a huge national debt that will take decades to pay off? University students aren’t getting much love, what with the amount of debt they now find themselves in after graduation. Who does this government care about exactly, other than its rather small core vote?

If there’s one thing they do feel for the majority of us proles, it’s not love. It’s utter contempt.

Running a deficit at the top of an economic cycle isn’t good government, it’s reckless. Anyone can do that. If I spent a month’s wages on your birthday present every year, you’d think I was great. If, after 13 years, I handed you the tab, with interest, you wouldn’t think I’d done so well. That’s what the current lot have done to us. We’ve not really seen much of the downside of it yet, but things will get really rather hairy on the other side of the election, no matter who wins it. Labour has succeeded in generating a microscopic debt-fuelled bounce as we head to the polls, but it’s a complete mirage. Of course, the scorched-Earth economy being delivered to the next administration means that they’ll have no choice but to implement some very unpopular spending cuts, or let inflation rip, either of which will see them out of power for years. Alastair Darling has seen the books, and he has been keeping really rather quiet during the campaign.

If you ask me, the bigger muppets are people who vote for the same discredited party, election after election, based on ideological arguments which are largely dead. You don’t breed change by promising your vote to the same people, no matter what their policies.