Sydenham Park: 16 year old boy stabbed to death (UPDATED)

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sean

Sydenham Park: 16 year old boy stabbed to death (UPDATED)

Post by sean »

8:30am May 6, 2010:
A 16-year-old boy has died after being stabbed at a recreation ground in south-east London, police said.

Officers found the injured boy when they were called to reports of a disturbance at Home Park Recreation Ground, in Sydenham, at about 1800 BST.

A number of youths were arrested close to the scene and remain in police custody, police said. Detectives appealed for witnesses to come forward.

The boy, who has not been named, died soon after being taken to hospital.

Police have begun a murder inquiry but said they were keeping an open mind about the motive and circumstances of the death.

London Ambulance Service said the boy had suffered a cardiac arrest.

"Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate the patient both on the scene and on the way to hospital," a spokesman said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Breaking News:
A 16-year-old boy has been stabbed to death in a recreation ground in south-east London.

Police found the injured boy when they were called to reports of a disturbance in Home Park Recreation Ground in Sydenham after 1800 BST.

A number of youths have been arrested in the vicinity. They remain in police custody. Police have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

The teenager, who is yet to named, died soon after being taken to hospital.

A spokesman for London Ambulance Service said paramedics were called to Sydenham Road at 6.25pm.

A fast response car, ambulance crew and duty officer were sent to the scene.

"Staff treated a patient who had suffered cardiac arrest," he said.

"Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate the patient both on the scene and on the way to hospital."

Police have begun a murder inquiry but said they are keeping an open mind about the motive and circumstances of the death.

Source: BBC and SkyNews
Last edited by sean on 6 May 2010 07:29, edited 2 times in total.
simon

Post by simon »

How awful.
So young, such a waste.
Condolences to the family and his friends.
Last edited by simon on 5 May 2010 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

As of 23:45 there is still one-way traffic past Holmes Park, with a strong police presence, forensic staff and a film crew.

Regards
Chris
sean

Post by sean »

Story updated above at 8:30am Thursday May 6, 2010.
jackieboo

Very sad...once again and again and again

Post by jackieboo »

I remember Home Park as a lovely place in the 70's with summer fetes and carnivals.....a safe place where parents didn't have to go to the park with their children, we as youngsters took the youngest ones in the pram for the day.

Such a shame this has happened, another young life needlessly snuffed out...and for what???

I live near Croydon so this is almost a daily ocurrence.

Are people so jaded and complacent that it's just a fact of life now???? :?

If only people would inform on criminals, even in their own families.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

jackieboo

What is is with "gangs"???

Post by jackieboo »

Who are they? Why do they feel they are so important? Why do they feel they own the place when they don't even own the homes they live in? Are they all so incompetent in ordinary everyday life they feel the need to disrupt everyone and everything around them to gain attention? Do they all suffer from sort of mental illness?

Can someone PLEASE explain ..,in plain English to someone who was born in this now unrecogniseable country 52 years ago.

All I read into the situation is children murdering other children as they hate each other for no apparent reason. And their families DO NOTHING to stop their behaviour and condone it.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

I SO hear you Jackie.

Sickens me to the pit of my stomach. What chance do my kids stand? :shock:

It's time we as a country take a stand against these 'yoofs' and 'gangs' but what can we do? A curfew? Not sure what to suggest or say really, just that I am sad and frightened by it all. :(
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Actually I DO know what to say.............. bring back bloody National Service :wink:
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

sarahc wrote:Actually I DO know what to say.............. bring back bloody National Service :wink:
The world is a very different place to what is was after the war, we no longer face the threat of invasion.
jackieboo

I am so incensed by all this.............

Post by jackieboo »

It wold only take one or two of these children...............after all that's all they are CHILDREN for goodness sake, to have the balls to get out of the gang the are in, and realise what NORMAL life is like, without having to look over their shoulders all the time and just be a part of the community they live in - not someone who is destroying it.

My children were brought up to respect people.

All this rubbish about "you iz disrespecin me" is so boring now to hear time and time again........do they realise you have to show respect to earn any at all in this short time you are on the planet.

You're dead a long time and you don't just get up after being murdered and dust yourself off like in films and PC games. Do they not realise once you are gone...that is it.

Do their parents, if they have any, want them to destroy the area they actually live in, aren't they aware of what others think of their offspring - don't they KNOW what people say about them behind their backs and how they are ridiculed by the general law abiding public.

DO something before your child is next and all there is to show for it is a withered bunch of flowers on a park railing and page on Facebook.
jackieboo

Post by jackieboo »

sarahc wrote:Actually I DO know what to say.............. bring back bloody National Service :wink:

Surely National Service would be going against someone's Human Rights or religion or food preference or disrupt their drug/drink habit or other recreation or ruin their signing on day.
gurka

Post by gurka »

Sorry but national service won't work as do you really want to teach these kids how to become professional killers ?
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

the solution?

hmm, it's a difficult one. Difficult because to solve it requires planning and thinking that is longer than one government's time in power.

A previous "leader" said it (but sadly didn't do it) - Education Education Education.

It will take 2 to 3 generations to effect a change where more than 95% of people value education, and then the resulting generations to reap the benefits of this - in behavior, respect,

The pain in the ar*e is how can such a change be made possible with short term government?

(House of lords? I don't know... just thinking out loud)
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I think the notion of National Service is abit out of date in terms of militaristic point of view...however, why can't it be brought in as a more civil version. i.e. every 16year old, or similar age group, has to carry out voluntary work for 2 weeks a year, helping disabled people; the older generation; gardening or outdoor activities. i.e. an activity which may make them respect not only how lucky they are to be alive and leading a relatively normal life, but also respect the surroundings they live in. Too many youngsters appear not to be interested in anything, and that stems also from the way society is now....its always everyone elses thought (especially the State) rather than our own or parents thought.
sara

Post by sara »

I know it's a cliche to say "blame the parents" but in this case it's true.

Children need boundaries - love and discipline in equal measures - if they're to feel safe and valued. Sadly, most of the kids involved in these crimes come from dysfunctional famlies, with parents who have little interest in their children and even less ability to raise them properly. So, in the absence of a proper family, they turn to gangs which give them somewhere they feel they belong and a (mistaken) sense of safety.

Gangs are nothing new but they are becoming more common and are attracting younger and younger children. It's a symptom of the society we live in, rather than a problem.
spanishsydenhamgirl

Post by spanishsydenhamgirl »

I think it's completely disrespectful for people to be commenting and speculating about this at this time. Nobody knows what and why it happened.

A family have just lost their child and many people in the community will have known this young boy.

Please allow the family to grieve in peace and for the police to do their job.
leaf

Post by leaf »

You would be surprised at how many of the teens hanging around causing problems actually DO come from so called 'decent' families [working parents etc] the media cant keep blaming all of this on single parents because its gone way beyond that, its not always down to dysfunctional families and poverty, some kids seem to think they have the right to do as they please and give nothing back to society.....and yes I blame the parents too.

RIP Nick and condolences to his family and friends.

spanishsydenhamgirl
I think it's completely disrespectful for people to be commenting and speculating about this at this time. Nobody knows what and why it happened

But we do know what happened...a 16 yr old was murdered, why it happened cant begin to justify the act of murder, i dont think anyone here has said anything disrespectful about Nick Pearton and him and his family are the only ones who are deserving of respect in this situation.
leaf

Post by leaf »

edited.....posted it twice by accident.
shell1

Post by shell1 »

My deepest condolences to Nick's family.

It's horrible what's happening to our young people in London. Such a tragic waste of life. Seeing the image of Nick's bike and his photo in the Standard just made me want to cry - I can't imagine what his poor family are going through!

There has been a frenzy of gang attacks across Lewisham this last week - we really do need tougher policing of this area. And yes I agree with the post about introducing some sort of community work for all young people to give them a sense of achievement in their local area. Something's got to work to stop this mindless killing.