Is this the best use of our policing?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mummycat

Is this the best use of our policing?

Post by mummycat »

This was the scene just after noon outside the Golden City Chinese: It involved 3 or 4 Street Drinkers, 4 policemen, 2 vans and 2 police cars.

Not Rocket Science what goes on after these members of the public receive their prescription drugs at 12noon. In the words of Sir Francis Urquhart "I couldn't possibly comment".

I would like to see the newly elected Councillors pledge to put a stop to this anti-social behaviour in Sydenham.

(Photo on my Facebook page for those of you who are my friends...)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

what was the incident? what had happened?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

ps. any chance of the photo being somewhere publicly available?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Sorry, Bensonby.

In fact I think I have committed a crime already, under section 76 of the Counter-Terrorism Act.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7888301.stm

(Plus it's stuck on my mobile and I can only upload to Facebook or send to another mobile!)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

don't be daft....photographing incidents is not against the law at all: The confusion and uproar around s.76 is down to the fact that it's so badly written.

Any chance of sticking it on a public facebook group or something?
Willy

Post by Willy »

can you post the link to the pic on FB? I think there should be a link at the bottom saying something like "Share this photo with anyone by sending them this public link"
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Hope you're all bracing yourselves for this...

(link deleted as it contains personal comments)

There was another car behind the van on the left containing an officer and a local "abuser".

I was in Superdrug at the time and the staff were giving a commentary!
Last edited by mummycat on 11 May 2010 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Don't tease us, mummycat. What actually happened?

Though I do agree with you. These people should ideally be sterilized. And Lewisham council should subject Two Halves pub and its patrons to a sustained campaign of germ warfare.

That'll teach 'em!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Well, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but:

12 noon is the time that these "abusers" can receive their prescriptions from the designated pharmacies in Sydenham.

Soon afterwards, they were caught. They probably hadn't taken their prescriptions. They might have needed money to buy more drink or other drugs.

At least 4 vehicles were called to assist, with at least 4 uniformed members.

These uniformed members could be doing something more useful, like patrolling our streets and parks.

It's simply a waste of resources. It costs more than it does to impose a designated CDZ (Controlled Drinking Zone).
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Grrr, bleedin' scum! They should bring back the f_ckin' rope!
davegr

Post by davegr »

Last week there was a gas leak at a building at the top of Crystal Palace Park Road which involved, at the very least 6 police cars, 3 fire engines and 3 ambulances. Most of the police stood around for hours chatting in front of the building with the evacuated residents. It couldn't have been that serious as all of them were standing right in front of the building.

Why do we need 20+ police standing around chatting, while gangs of kids are killing each other in parks that ought to be patrolled by them??

It's not the first time I've seen these absurd quantities of police for what appears to be minor issues.

I have almost never seen police patrolling our local parks while gangs of anti social yoofs on bikes with their dogs roam with impunity.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

davegr wrote:Last week there was a gas leak at a building at the top of Crystal Palace Park Road which involved, at the very least 6 police cars, 3 fire engines and 3 ambulances. Most of the police stood around for hours chatting in front of the building with the evacuated residents. It couldn't have been that serious as all of them were standing right in front of the building.
I was the first person on scene at that incident who went inside the flat in question - and I can tell you the sight I saw inside that flat was not pretty....

Why do you think so many ambulances/fire engines/senior police officers turned up? It was because something very serious had taken place inside. It wasn't just a "gas leak".

The police officers only "stood around chatting" while they awaited the fire brigade to declare it safe: To secure the scene, direct traffic around the huge number of emergency service vehicles and to deal with the result of the incident (in terms of paperwork and other things) long after the other emergency services left.

The problem that the police often have is that the general public often have no idea what they spend most of their time doing...how large the outstanding incident list is - what needs doing at an incident and how many police officers that takes. The reason there isn't a police constable walking about down the high street is often because there simply aren't enough; those that are on duty are responding to incidents that are already happening or have already happened. The general public just have no idea about how the police operate and why they operate in the way they do....and, I suppose, some of the blame for that lack of understanding lies with the police themselves.

And a Drinking Control Zone isn't the answer (for the many reasons I've mentioned in previous threads). Not least when comparing somewhere that has one (Rushy Green) with somewhere that does not (The high street) - I know which place I would consider a more pleasant environment...
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

- sorry post gone wrong
Last edited by Juwlz on 10 May 2010 19:36, edited 3 times in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

davegr - PM sent
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

I witnessed a van full of police today taking away one boy, my question is why so many police for one person?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

catwoman wrote:I witnessed a van full of police today taking away one boy, my question is why so many police for one person?
I have no idea about the specific case of what you saw...but I can offer a couple of possible scenarios:

A van full of police was out on patrol or going somewhere, had reason to stop and search the person, found something illegal and arrested him. The fact that there were lots was purely down to chance or down to the fact that they were the closest unit.

The boy was, or had been, violent: several police officers restraining him would be far safer (for all involved) to detain him without injury than one or two officers using batons/CS spray etc.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I have revived Tim's thread on "Town Hustings" regarding "Street Drinkers and Heroin Users", so I'll leave Bensonby to it...
davegr

Post by davegr »

Bensonby, are you able to elaborate on what happened at Torrington Court?
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

Bensonby, you have my sympathy. Unlesss people have worked in the public services they are not likely to understand. Full stop.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

My impression of the police and SNT in Sydenham have been nothing less than totally professional and respectful. In other areas this hasn't always been the case, but here, I have to say, I'm very impressed.