The aftermath

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Raven Drone

The aftermath

Post by Raven Drone »

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed the debate over the last couple of weeks.

Some of you, I must admit, I may have ended up throwing a pint over in a pub if we had discussed it face-to-face ( perhaps not in the Dolphin 'cos it's not that kind of place!) but many I would have bought a pint for - Juwlz, digime2007, leenewham, Fishcox, Sydenhamjazzman, to name but a few.

While the country now slides back to the 1980s I hope that a coalition will at the very least stop a tory government punishing London, Scotland and Wales who all rejected their policies, and I feel happy at least that I'm not a solitary voice on the Sydenham Town Forum.

At times it can be very easy to feel that that the majority view on the forum is representing the majority view of Sydenham residents, the local election result clearly tells us otherwise, thankfully!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

What do you reckon the chances are that Gordon will leave Dave a turd to flush before leaving No.10?
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

hopefully something, somewhere under the carpet!
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

It's OK . David has already removed the nasty Brown stain from 10 Downing Street. Just got a massive tidy up to do and a major redecoration, the previos occupant had no taste at all and was stuck in the 70's.

Have enjoyed the discussions too , at times I was sure Scargill and Foot were commenting in here though ! ;-)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Raven, can you post a picture so I know who to claim my pint from when I see you in the Dolphin?

Last night filed me with hope actually. In no order, this is why:

1. Labour members saying they lost and it wasn't right to form a government.
2. Two parties working together. It looks like we have ended up with the best policies of each party on the face of it.
3. Gordon Brown speech when he left 10 downing street almost made me want to weep, run to Central London and give the big guy a hug.
4. Cameron s speech when he went into 10 Downing Street was dignified and different to the usual flowery cr*p you hear when politicians get into power. it was simple, direct, clear. Hopefully it will be a sign of things to come.
5. I'm not sure how the Liberal managed it, but if they are as good in government as they were negotiating in this hung parliament then we may be onto something good here. Yesterday I as worried about hung parliaments, not I'm in favour of them again.
6. The sun is shining.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I wouldn't say I'm as optimistic as Lee but I am less depressed than I could have been. It does look a much better outcome than a Tory majority.

I do wonder how long the honeymoon will be for what is really a marriage of convenience. No one has mentioned Iraq/Afghanistan. What happens when Trident spending issues pop up? Or how about the fact that the Tories and Lib dems will be campaigning against each other when it come to a voting reform referendum?

We will see if we really do have a 'new kind of politics' and whether the Tories really have changed. I suspect some will engage in progressive government and some Tories will behave but inevitably there will be tough things for the Liberals to swallow and the Tory old guard won't put up with being disenfranchised for very long.
simon

Post by simon »

I agree Digime in that the coalition will only last around a year, long enough to pass a budget and hold a referendum on PR. Both the Libe Dems and Conseravatives will come under pressure from their own parties and the Lib Dems case they will have to listen. A year gives the Labour party long enough to sort itself out, elect a new leader and come back stronger and I feel that it wil be able to take seats off the Lib Dems.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Raven Drone wrote:Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed the debate over the last couple of weeks.

Some of you, I must admit, I may have ended up throwing a pint over in a pub if we had discussed it face-to-face
If you end up covered in beer, you won the argument ;)

Joking aside, the election and its outcome have reinvigorated the forum. Friends at work have complained that such debate on their local websites has been stamped out by admins as being unrelated to local issues. I'm so glad that didn't happen here.

I am very hopeful that the new coalition will be a positive one, implementing the best of the bedfellows' policies. On that note, here's an interesting article on the Times website:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 123344.ece

Bear in mind that the author is an ex-SDP member and ran as a Conservative candidate in the 2001 election, so it is to be expected that he'll say nice things about the coalition. Paints an interesting picture though.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I take back that marriage of convenience comment. I've just watched the joint news conference and they are obviously properly in love.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It made me laugh. It made me hopeful.

"Mr Cameron was asked if he regretted once saying Nick Clegg was "his favourite joke". "I'm afraid I did say that once," the PM says, looking sheepish. As Mr Clegg pretends to walk away in a mock huff, Mr Cameron shouts, "Come back!"
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Cheers Raven Drone, for the imaginary pint – if were in the Town Pub forum i'd gladly return the favour!

And I agree its been brilliant having some healthy discussion, I'd hate it if everyone agreed, we'd never learn anything.

What a fascinating election, seems like all the predictions were wrong in the end, just goes to show a week truly is a long time in politics.

Leenewham - nice one, I just heard Cameron & Clegg on the radio - I wasn't sure if you'd made the punchline up yourself til I just heard Cameron say it!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Well, I'd agree with most of this. I'm not sure how stable the coalition can be, but I have no hesitation in saying that the policies they have come up with appeal to me rather more than either party on its own. I'm sure the Lib Dems will be happy not to have to defend the idea of joining the Euro, and I suspect that less tribal Tories know that a big rise in the income tax threshold, but keeping inheritance tax where it is, are measures which redistribute wealth to the less well off in ways that increase incentives for them to work, and so will welcome them privately.

Re the stability of the coalition - I've seen no comment on the impact on this of the proposed fixed five year parliaments. This surely will provide a big incentive to make any coalitions work. I really would love to see less tribal politics; my experience has been that there are good people - and not just good, but also sensible - in all three main parties - and indeed in some of the fringe parties. Equally, there are some in all of them who I am suspicious about, or who I feel are floundering.