East London Line Launch on Sunday 23rd May.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Lovely again this morning. Cool, quick, got into work earlier. Still lacking Metro papers at Sydenham station.

And at least if the trains upstream fail like last night, there are now 4 an hour from Crystal Palace instead of two.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

noangel wrote:Did we not have these exact same kind of problems when it was just the Southern service? Delays during peaks hours (last night's delay wasn't the fault of any train company), sweltering trains ... etc etc

I was fortunate enough to get a ELL train at Syders (from CP) during the delays. The train driver apologised for the delays for both services then kindly gave an alternative route to get to London Bridge using his service or, he said, wait on the platform for an indefinite time for the other services to start again. Still people complained throughout the entire journey even though they managed to get to London Bridge quicker than if they had taken the latter advice. :roll:
To be fair, I thought the service from the Overground attendants on the platforms and the driver of the ELL was excellent - long may that continue.

However, faulty aircon systems in what seems a batch of trains with no windows (I gather it wasn't just my train where the aircon failed) is not so good...
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

My journey today on the ELL then Jubilee was also reasonably enjoyable. It hasnt made my journey any quicker - but atleast the ELL was cool (Jubilee not!) and I managed to get a seat all the way.

My only minor gripe being the interchange between the ELL and Jubilee - whilst no way as bad as at LB - there seems to be only one down escalator between ELL and Jubilee (well at the end of of the platform I was at anyway - might be more the other end) - so it causes a bit of a bottleneck with the increased amount of people interchanging.

I think what was most annoying is actually seeing the Jubilee train pulling in and then leaving the platform - while I was stuck in a queue only a couple meters up! :(

Oh yeah and also no Metro - Are we supposed to get them at Syd any time soon?
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

I've sent an email to what I think is the correct email address at the Metro.

Will let you know if there is any response.

And yes, there is only a single down escalator, which is a pain at rush hour. I'd just sit further in the middle of the overground train to be first off!
noangel

Post by noangel »

Gaz wrote: However, faulty aircon systems in what seems a batch of trains with no windows (I gather it wasn't just my train where the aircon failed) is not so good...
I will give you that one. I was speaking to an elderly couple yesterday who had the misfortune of catching one of these faultly trains. They said it was almost unbearable. I guess I've just been fortunate and have managed to get trains that had the air con working.
Barty

Post by Barty »

rbmartin wrote:It was just as bad for ELL passengers today. A lineside fire at Norwood Junction affected both sets of trains during the evening peak.
noangel wrote:Did we not have these exact same kind of problems when it was just the Southern service?
So maybe the East London Line, and London Overground, the miracle cure for all Sydenham's commuters from the evil Southern Railway and all their faults - ISN'T a miracle cure???

Vindication for me against all the Southern-bashers I used to fight on here!
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Welcome back Barty!

You staying around or just passing through on the ELL?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

barty's back!!!!

I'm still in two minds about: LO.....for many of the reasons stated. That said, I've had several very pleasant trips on it and I did the jubilee line change at Canada Water (about 1700 hours) and found it far more pleasant than changing at LB.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had rather written off the ELL as I rarely go to East London/City. But this afternoon I was in Farringdon. Hammersmith & City to Whitechapel, ELL to Sydenham. Easypeasy.

Admin
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

ELL is perfect for me as I work mainly in Farringdon and Shoreditch. I hadn't even noticed that Farringdon is now easy too, so thanks for that admin!

Funny how alot of people don't realise the tube is now here. People have been so sceptical, saying 'it'll never happen' I think because there was very little visible work on it, especially down this end where its going to existing stations.

Only last week, our neighbours even said to my other half when he mentioned the tube -'ooh you'll be waiting ten years for the tube to happen, they've been going on about it for years' He was trying to tell them it was opening this week and they didn't believe it!
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

I was speaking to my friend from East London yesterday and showed her the tube map and pointed out where FH and Sydenham are.

She had no idea where in London we were until she saw the ELL on the new Tube Map!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I work in Canary Wharf and when the ELL closed for the extension works, my journey went from 40 minutes to just over an hour. It also added about £40 a month to my fare
The soft launch brought my journey down to 40 mins
This morning, I nearly cried with joy - my journey time, door to door is now 30 minutes. I get in 3/4 hour earlier which means I can leave 3/4 hour earlier. With the reduction of the journey time, I'm home a full hour earlier
I caught the 806; previously I caught the 807. Getting to Canada Water so much earlier makes the connection there so much easier to the Jubilee line. The later you leave it, the tougher to get on a train.

As I've a six month old daughter, this means I get to see her properly before she hits the hay and my evening this evening was not remotely stressed. Brilliant. Thanks London Overground. Woohoo
If I'm not mistaken its way cheaper too
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

It's great isn't it - I had cause to use the train this morning and, after catching the 0831 Overground expecting to be late for work, I actually got to my desk in Canary Wharf at 9 o'clock and, after touching the pink Oyster readers at Canada Water, the journey only cost £1.30! The only downside is that I can no longer claim to be able to cycle to work faster than the train, thanks to the Greenwich foot tunnel :-(

I did notice that some moron has already had cause to vandalise our lovely new trains, by carving "STP" into the window glass, with inch-thick strokes of some tool or other. I was thinking about how to combat this and wondered about getting some stickers made saying "...is a loser" or similar, then sticking them directly underneath any tags on public transport. Then I thought, no, that's a stupid idea.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

carving "STP" into the window glass
I scanned that as "STF" the first time I read it. Thought admin was getting creative with his advertising!
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

Where are the pink Oyster readers at Canada Water? I've found them at Whitechapel which are easy to spot, but the CW ones I didn't find on Sunday.
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

rbmartin wrote:Where are the pink Oyster readers at Canada Water? I've found them at Whitechapel which are easy to spot, but the CW ones I didn't find on Sunday.
They're at the top to the sides of the escalators down to the Jubbly platforms, right by the walls. Not amazingly obvious actually.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

JeeBee wrote:
rbmartin wrote:Where are the pink Oyster readers at Canada Water? I've found them at Whitechapel which are easy to spot, but the CW ones I didn't find on Sunday.
They're at the top to the sides of the escalators down to the Jubbly platforms, right by the walls. Not amazingly obvious actually.
Thanks, I'll have a good look on Friday. :)
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I havent used the pink oyster reader at all (didnt even see them) and I am still being charged £1.30 each way! Last week I was being charged £7.40 a day
I make that £33 a month! I feel like someone's paying ME to travel!
Shame I hate Canary Wharf with a passion. At least the journey is now bearable!
I want to eat London Overground's face off
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I went on the ELL to Farringdon for the first time today it was AWESOME!

I didn't have to wait for any trains, they all turned up right away (and on time).

I love the way the carriages are all open. I love it I love it I love it. :D
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

I did the same journey Juwlz - I found myself stuck at whitechapel for 15 mins on my way in- I think the Hamersmith and City Line might be worse than our friends at southern for delays and cancellations !