East London Line Launch on Sunday 23rd May.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Indeed - I tried it today, and it's great - I can see myself using it if it's raining, but otherwise, it's still the bicycle.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I caught the last train of the night from Dalston today (2340) after alighting at Shoreditch earlier in the evening (and going to work via Whitechapel). I am loving the 'newness' of the trains and stations and so far all the Overground employees have been surprisingly helpful (it is a shame that I see good service as a surprise, I suppose!).

I'm having great fun exploring the different ways into work and the different options the ELL now gives us. Such a shame that the last train isn't later though (especially when you are out in Dalston having fun! 8) ).
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Caught the 801 this morning - in fact am on it, get me! - and it was almost empty. Fan-bl**dy-tastic
forgive my gushing, but I have a six month old and am just back to work after mat leave, working a compressed full time week. It's quite full on. This service has, without exaggeration, changed my life. It's made a fairly fraught impossible situation possible and given me back some quality of life
coll

Post by coll »

I often work in St John's Wood. I got on the 7:04 this morning and got out at SJW station at 7:40! That is amazing! The homeward journey yesterday to almost an hour but both Jubilee and Overland seemed to be running slowly.

Today it seems to have cost me £2.40 - is that possible? I touched the pink scanner at Canada Water and touched out at SJW and I swear it said £2.40.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

TFL fare Finder - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fares ... r/current/

Sydenham - St Johns Wood Single Fare

£2.70 Peak
£2.40 Off Peak

If it was anything else then I'd suggest it was an error.
Search East

Post by Search East »

Finally got to use the new service, as I've been away for a few days. Got a train late in the evening from Canada Waters to Shadwell, to then get the DLR.

Plus side is really nice new trains (with that fresh out of the box smell about them), downside was all the electronic signs were not working and no-one new when the next train was due!

Love the design of Shadwell station signage, wonder if they could do that with Sydneham station?! :wink:
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

goonerchamp wrote:I did the same journey Juwlz - I found myself stuck at whitechapel for 15 mins on my way in- I think the Hamersmith and City Line might be worse than our friends at southern for delays and cancellations !
I used to live in East London (for a couple of years), and yes, this line is simply appalling. Probably quicker to get District to Tower Hill and change onto the Circle most days.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Sydenham wrote:£2.70 Peak
£2.40 Off Peak
My commute Sydenham <> Westminster is not only marginally faster but £2 cheaper on PAYG - peak fare on rail + jubillee line is £3.70 compared to £2.70 on ELL + jubillee.

My only complaint is the seats on the ELL are a bit hard :D
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

getting the ELL from FH all the way to Dalston Junction (then a but to Mare St). it's about 15 minutes quicker than going via LBG and getting a 48. MrsR goes to Farringdon by getting a 75 to Catford and then a train straight through (though they're fairly infrequent - maybe i'll suggest she gets the ELL with me)
I do like the new ELL - it means we can go to Croydon town centre, Columbia Road flower market, Surrey Quays shopping centre (Decathlon, bowling, cinema), The Geffrye museum, Brick Lane for curries, and it's now easier to get to IKEA on Purley way!
I fell alseep on the ELL on Tuesday night, got the last one from Dalston, after three pints in a pub after playing badminton. still home by (about) midnight.
Great new addition. I love it.
when will we get Metro at Sydenham though?!
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

What I don't understand is:

- Zone 1-3 off peak rail journey is £1.70
- Zone 1-3 off peak Overground journey is £130

So it should be more expensive to go from Sydenham to West Croydon by rail but if you touch in and out using an Oyster card how do they know?

Presumably they just charge you the Overground fare? That would also mean it costs more to East Croydon than West Croydon.

Or am I missing something?
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

digime2007 wrote:What I don't understand is:

- Zone 1-3 off peak rail journey is £1.70
- Zone 1-3 off peak Overground journey is £130

So it should be more expensive to go from Sydenham to West Croydon by rail but if you touch in and out using an Oyster card how do they know?

Presumably they just charge you the Overground fare? That would also mean it costs more to East Croydon than West Croydon.

Or am I missing something?
East Croydon is still charged at the old NR Oyster fare of £1.70 off-peak, stations between NXG and West Croydon/Crystal Palace are now charged at TfL rates which are cheaper.

This means it's more expensive to travel to East Croydon than it is to Canary Wharf!
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

East Croydon is still charged at the old NR Oyster fare of £1.70 off-peak, stations between NXG and West Croydon/Crystal Palace are now charged at TfL rates which are cheaper.
Interesting, so if the NR ticket price has been dropped to match the TFL rate does that mean I can use my NR season ticket on sections of the Overground where my rail ticket is valid? I have a ticket from Sydenham to London Bridge so can I use the Overground between Sydenham and New Cross Gate?
Willy

Post by Willy »

Just used this for the first time, Sydenham to Shoreditch High Street followed by a 5 min walk to Liverpool Street. Took 40 minutes door to door in a nice air conditioned train, I think it's going to be my prefered route from now on, no more London Bridge!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

digime2007 wrote: Interesting, so if the NR ticket price has been dropped to match the TFL rate does that mean I can use my NR season ticket on sections of the Overground where my rail ticket is valid? I have a ticket from Sydenham to London Bridge so can I use the Overground between Sydenham and New Cross Gate?
the train the you get on won't know what ticket you hold - as long as the stations that you get on or off at are also on the NR route then yes you can use the overground trains to do the same journey (unless your ticket is specifically Sydenham to London Bridge and only those two stations? - did it let you get off at other stations before?)
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Sure, the train I get on won't know what ticket I have but I assume they'll be occasional ticket inspectors on the overground train - or does that not happen?

I have a Sydenham to London Terminals ticket so I can get out anywhere on the Sydenham -> London Bridge or Sydenham -> Victoria loop. That mean I could use the overground trains to get to New Cross Gate (for a connecting train) or Crystal Palace (as it's on the way to Victoria).

That's as long as it's valid to do so.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

The TfL/National Rail charges are confusing, but simplistic depending on where you travel to.

ELL/Southern to East Croydon or Sutton - NR Oyster fare applies.

ELL or Southern to New Cross Gate or Norwood Junction/Crystal Palace/West Croydon - TfL rate applies.

ELL/Underground - TfL rate applies.

Southern to London Bridge, Clapham Junction or Victoria - NR applies.

Southern to LB then Underground, NR applies, plus a £1.10 charge for LUL zones 1-2.
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

I'd just like to thank JeeBee and Lizzie (by pm) for their suggestions - I'm looking into them and will try them out, but I much appreciate your ideas - thanks!
sean

Post by sean »

Where is the Sydenham East-London line party? http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 8ca270ce3b
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Went to Surrey Quays shopping centre today. Totally rubbish. The ELL is not all good after all.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

What happened going to / from Surrey Quays that made the ELL rubbish?