Robbery on Highclere Street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
girl_canuck

Robbery on Highclere Street

Post by girl_canuck »

Whilst I'm sure the relevant people are not on this forum, I thought it was worth a try appealing to any decency that they may have. Keep all of the things you have stolen I really don't care about the items. But the computers (an iMac and a powerbook) that you stole contain all of the photos - wedding, engagement, holidays: of our entire life together. So, take a dvd or two before you format it and sell it, back up all the photo's and post them through our letterbox. At least give that back to us.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I hope somehow against the odds they read this and do the decent thing. Good luck!

Do you mind if I ask how they got in, wondering if there's any security to improve. It's such a narrow street I'm surprised they got away with it.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

That's horrible girl_canuck but a reminder to everyone to make backups!

This shit or similar shit happens a lot and people keep more and more digital memories and personal information on computers.

Think about what you could lose, then, if you decide you can't afford to lose it ... backup.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

My sympathies. We lost a lot of our photos in a hard drive meltdown. Now I do a print out of the really important ones every few months onto high quality paper - the stuff that is guaranteed not to fade for 100 years! Plus we back up in two different places. Like most people, we learned the hard way that backing up really is important!

And a reminder to people to be careful about leaving windows open in the warm weather. Most burglaries are opportunistic. (Don't know if that's what happened here, of course).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well said digime2007. If it isn't robbery - at sometime you will get a disk failure or some other accident that will lose your valuable data. If you don't have one - go buy something like <THIS>

You can use them with Macs or PCs. But remember to store it away from your computer - so if you lose one - you don't lose the other.

For smaller amounts of data (<2Gb) you can do realtime online backup to services such as http://www.soonr.com for free.

Do it today. Disaster could be tomorrow.

Admin
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

There may also be other locations that Girl Canuck may have forgotten she has copies of photos.
Perhaps you emailed copies at some point, or printed off copies for friends or family.

I hope you get them back, but thre may be some you can still access on emails ?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Ronski wrote: Do you mind if I ask how they got in, wondering if there's any security to improve. It's such a narrow street I'm surprised they got away with it.
I'm a bit confused....she said it was a robbery...not burglary.

Either way, they are both heinous horrible crimes and I hope that they are caught. Both are frightening experiences and terrible invasions of privacy.

It's the personal items that are irreplaceable....my grandmother was burgled recently and the cash was replaceable; the photos of her late husband were not.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

This must have been a horrible experience for you. It does sound as though you were burgled. How did they gain access to your premises? I know its like bolting the stable door after the gee-gee has scarpered ... But its worth thinking about. Hope you can get your irreplaceables replaced!!