17 year-old stabbed at Sydenham Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

17 year-old stabbed at Sydenham Hill

Post by maestro »

Police are appealing for information after another stabbing, less than 24 hours after a 35 year old man was shot dead in his car in Oslac Road SE6, which is just off Southend Lane.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/8239022.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/8236398.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Why mention the two incidents together? They are completely unrelated...
maestro

Post by maestro »

bensonby wrote:Why mention the two incidents together? They are completely unrelated...
Should I therefore have made two different posts? I didn't infer that they were in any way related, which is why I even took the trouble to post links to the two totally separate news articles. I only mentioned them together as they were both major crimes which occurred within just a few hours of each other, neither had been mentioned on this forum, albeit the murder was a few hundred yards from Sydenham.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Maestro

It's nice to know that people take the trouble to put these posts on here but certain people don't like them because they want to believe they live in a perfect area, which we don't.

It doesn't matter if these crimes are not related because people need to know about them.

So thank you Maestro
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

There's nothing wrong with reporting local events at all. I just thought it was rather strange that you lumped these two entirely different incidents together: They happened over nearly 48 hours after one another and are unrelated in all respects apart from the fact that they were geographically quite close.

There are plenty of other crimes happening in the local area - including GBHs - which don't get mentioned together (or even at all). I merely wondered why you highlighted these two.....
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Catwoman,

I understand that this is a prickly subject for you with regards to your son being the target of muggers who have so far gone unpunished. And I know this is going to come across as incredibly patronizing, but I hope you'll understand that I mean well. The frustration you feel as the result of what appears to be disinterest by the Police is fueling a boundless crusade picking up on any injustice or failure the MET or Lewisham Council should've prevented or acted on. I've been the victim of a mugging on more than one occasion and understand that it's a nasty experience; but I'm also aware of the fact that the Police can't be everywhere at once and some crimes - like the ones suffered by your son and myself - slip through the net. Basically, you need to move on.

Bensonby,

I don't think there was any alterior motive in Maestro's OP, other than strengthening/reinforcing the message of the thread by including two crimes instead of one. You also need to stop questioning anything and everything that is critical of the Police and how they go about fighting crime. They're agents of the state who are funded by the taxpayer who in turn are fully entitled to subject what they're paying for to scrutiny and criticism.

I'll get back in my box now.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

bigbadwolf wrote:Bensonby,

I don't think there was any alterior motive in Maestro's OP, other than strengthening/reinforcing the message of the thread by including two crimes instead of one. You also need to stop questioning anything and everything that is critical of the Police and how they go about fighting crime. They're agents of the state who are funded by the taxpayer who in turn are fully entitled to subject what they're paying for to scrutiny and criticism.

I'll get back in my box now.
Don't get me wrong: The police service is not a perfect organisation and is due for criticism on many areas many of which I'd be the first to mention. What I do oppose is unfounded, ignorant and misguided criticism that the ignorant heap upon the organisation liberally. I do not blindly support everything the Met, or any other constabulary, does.

The problem with policing is that "everyone's an expert" aparently - and that many people seem to have very strong opinions about the subject without having anything in the way of a professional understanding. (I, for example, would not dream of heaping criticism on the Social Services in the way people criticise the police because I'm not a Social Worker and don't know much about Social Work.)

Yes, you're a taxpayer (as am I) - and have a right to know where your money is spent. But many of the criticism levelled at the police (both here, other forums and in the media) are borne out of gross misunderstanding and, as such, you (in its broadest term) do not have the right to vent ignorant criticism without anything approaching a reasonable understanding of policing is all about.

Criticism is one thing. Blind ignorant ranting is another.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Policing: Perhaps it's about the detection of crime and the apprehending of criminals?
Perhaps it also has something to do with crime prevention?
Maybe we all, as a society, have a role in the above?

Also, [My pedantic hat is now on...] Perhaps, maybe???...Many crimes that are similar have similar motives, execution and outcomes? [Greed, resentment, some absurd notion of honour, territory, laziness, anger, .etc, Crime also leads to suffering in some form or other.
...]
Sad that we need police...[Also doctors, nurses, firefighters, etc...] But, still, there we go. Its not a perfect world...
Methinks we should do our best to make life a little easier and happy for one-another. Not naive, really. Just common sense.
No buts, now.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

What a weird thread. Some person puts some local info on, and is shot down for doing so! I dont care if they are related or not , but am glad that the events have been drawn to my attention. I have no other way of finding out about local news, nice or nasty, so appreciate the info on these websites.

Bensonby, i am sure your be on your high horse again, but if i pick up a newspaper, it has stories of no relation put next door to each other. Its called news.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

And while i am on my high horse, the more people like Bensomby go on about their own opinionated things, the more inclined that i DONT look at this website. Life is too short to read such ramblings.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

That's funny: I thought forums were about exchanges of opinions and reasoned debate?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thanks for posting that Maestro.

Sydenham and Forest Hill had always felt safer to me than other London areas I've lived in. What with the recent spate of hijackings, muggings and violent crimes though it's starting to feel (depressingly) that this area's sinking fast.

I don't know the answer; however, I do think that anyone found to be carrying a concealed blade or gun should be locked up for a fixed minimum term in a young offenders institution/borstal/jail (and preferably far away so as not to mix with the same local offenders).
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Bigbadwolf...

Thank you for your reply. I understand that I should move on from my sons mugging but it was not just my son that was mugged but also my Brother and Daughter and also two weeks ago, my other brother was mugged. Let us see if this one slips through the net as my brother got the muggers afro comb that he dropped, lets see if they can be bother to get some dna or finger prints off of it.

I know that the police can't be in all places at one time but it would be nice to see some at some point because all they seem to be doing these days is making an noise with their music box.
bensonby

Re: 17 year-old stabbed at Sydenham Hill

Post by bensonby »

I'm not even bothering to bite anymore... :?
Annie

Re: 17 year-old stabbed at Sydenham Hill

Post by Annie »

Hi,
First of all can I say i have been away for a while, and I am surprised that this more than excellent forum has had a face lift! I missed it,
at the moment I want the old one back,but hopefully I will get used to the new way.

Anyway enough ramblings,
I just want to say I have the utmost respect for the police, my son was a pcso for 3 years and the stories he came home with would horrify us normal bods,
However, there is good and bad in all walks of life,and I have met both.
I do think it is important to know what's going on in the area we live in,even if it just keeps us vigilant.
Bensonby-I can understand your upset at the way the police are sometimes portrayed,but I think any failings,as in any profession,should be addressed.