Lewisham Council - £60m of spending cuts!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

Lewisham Council - £60m of spending cuts!

Post by maestro »

An interview with Lewisham Mayor Sir Steve Bullock, speculating on the possibility of many hundreds of council jobs to go, and what else is likely to be affected........

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/8252668.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

If you want the raw, unadulterated disclosure on local authority penny pinching and the reasoning/excuses behind the decisions. Then get yourself a copy of Private Eye, find the Rotten Boroughs column and digest in wide-eyed disbelief.

The culling of honest - yet expendable - talent among the ranks of local councils up and down the country, so big wigs and mandarins alike can cushion their careers along a currently bumpy road, can at times be quite sickening.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Maestro, this unfortunately is squirrelled away on pg 13 of item 4, Appendix 1 of the Public Accounts Select Committee report. Not many people have access to, but I was alerted to this by the Community Action Lewisham blog ( yes, another wordpress blog!): http://communityactionlewisham.wordpress.com

It is proposed savings of £830K to close 5 libraries in Lewisham, (Sydenham, Blackheath, Crofton Park, Grove Park and New Cross) including staff and services associated with those libraries. A public consultation will commence in the summer to seek views. "Library buildings should be considered as assets for the whole Council, the community and it's partners."

The direct report pdf url is:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... 130710.PDF
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Mummycat - thanks for pointing this out
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Looks like we will all have our work cut out.

Once these facilities are gone, they are gone. The Sydenham Library will not make a particularly good conversion to anything and isn't listed s that will probably get demolished by developers or lay empty for decades which will once again make lower sydenham look even more impoverished and damage the good work done by Friends of Home park.

I hope they reconsider.
simon

Post by simon »

Closing any library is regressive in my opinion, but closing Sydenham library at this time seems particularlly short sighted. Spending money on improving Home Park while simultaneously closing the library seems plain daft.
I think we need a campaign to keep it open and lot of well thought out submissions to the consultation.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Closing any library is regressive in my opinion, but closing Sydenham library at this time seems particularlly short sighted.

I disagree.

It seems that in London libraries are now only visited to surf the net or do some photocopying. Or more often, they're a hangout for noisy, unchecked children. I've even seen job interviews being conducted in Forest Hill library.

I understand that libraries are an important resource, especially for children. But I've always said that local libraries are increasingly catering for people who are more interested in playing computer games rather than reading, expanding their vocabulary or quiet study.

Until this is addressed, I wont be shedding any tears over the closure of libraries who aren't fulfilling or encouraging their primary function.
simon

Post by simon »

BBW, it may be that some local libraries are not being used enough for their primary function but I dont think the remedy is to close them.
I actually think that providing free internet access to people who are seeking employment is a good idea and although libraries may not be the ideal sites for this, I can see it being a good place to put them for want of other suitable places.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

BBW, have you been to Sydenham Library?

It is well used, it has training courses and it's rooms are used as a vital community hub. Not to mention the schools that use it and local children. We just had an outdoor classroom out in the park which will be used by local school AND the library. The Library has been a very worthwhile and important ingredients in Friends of Home Park and the successes they have achieved.

I totally agree with Simon on this one.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I really hope they don't close the Library, what a waste. They may need to change function / technology but they are a fundamental service to the local community.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

BBW, it may be that some local libraries are not being used enough for their primary function but I dont think the remedy is to close them.

O.K, perhaps I haven't explained myself properly. Firstly, I respect libraries with the same reverence I imagine a religious person would hold a church or temple in. And I would pursue all available avenues before considering closure. Secondly, admittedly my main area of concern regarding Lewisham library service as a whole - though Forest Hill especially - is that a culture of tolerance towards disruptive behaviour has been allowed to get out of hand.

I believe that Lewisham library service would benefit from an overhall in policy.

I would propose that they adopt a 3 strike system whereby when someone wants to open an account they must agree to a clause in the terms and conditions of a contract (which are currently not implemented) stating that if they recieve 3 formal warning with regards to disruptive or threatening behaviour then their account be terminated for a set period of time and library services be denied to them.

Though I'm willing to accept that what can sound good in theory, is often an altogether different reality in practice i.e - in their nature librarians are usually rather timid characters and it would be unfair on them to adopt an authoritarian role. And it would also be impractical to call the Police to enforce the notice. And someone could go to another library with a false I.D to get around the ban imposed on them.

BBW, have you been to Sydenham Library?

Admittedly only once or twice. This current rant is mainly focusing on the Forest Hill and Lewisham libraries.
Last edited by bigbadwolf on 4 Jul 2010 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Post by michael »

Interestingly the report also says that
'Service co-location, community management and asset transfer are all being considered as part of these proposals.'
So if people in Sydenham want to continue having a library in Home Park it is possible that they could run it themselves (without all these new fangled computer-thingies). Alternatively another use may be found for the building that would benefit the community, perhaps a community theatre/cinema.

I'm not saying that closing the library is a good idea, but I would suggest that if the council does go down this path that every effort is made to make it MORE valuable as a community asset.
simon

Post by simon »

As it happens, we will be discussing the proposed closure of Sydenham Library and the withdrawal of creche facilities at the Kirkdale Centre on Sydenham Community Radio 106.68 FM between 7-8 tomorrow night. We'll have Cllr Chris Best in the studio from 7.30 so if you have any questions or issues you would like to raise contact us at studio@sydenhamradio.co.uk or text on 07952 214 769 or pm me om here before 5.45.

mummycat

Re: Lewisham Council - £60m of spending cuts!

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

how disgracefully unprofessional on the part of the mayor...
simon

Post by simon »

The Mayor's Gillian Duffy moment.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Clearly he considers himself an authority on words, so next time you see him, don't forget to 'participate' with the same profanities!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33MS40UEGNo

Edit to add:- 16 views since 1st April, he's obviously a big hit on Youtube! :lol:
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

It's time the Mayor 'got real', he should join the others in this country that have taken a pay cut to keep their jobs.
That would save a few jobs going at Sydenham library :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

One sensible cut would be to stop using bottled water in council offices and revert to tap water. I recall reading somewhere that Lewisham Council spent £25K per year on that (although don't quote me, it was a while ago).

Or, if they don't do it, make sure all lights are switched off at night or install sensors instead of switches so lights come on automatically when you go into a room and switch off when you leave them. Some companies have worked out special rotas for cleaners to ensure that the minimum of lights are left on at night.

There are lots of things that can be done to cut back, but perhaps the council have already implemented these.

Any sensible ideas for ways the council can save money?
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Why are my council taxes paying for others to drink bottled water? I dont, and he could take a pay cut, that is sensible.

Is there an on line breakdown for council spending?