New Coffee Shop for Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leaf

Post by leaf »

greg

:? oh dear!

your writing style seems to have regressed?!

where has happy,positive greg gone?

he has been replaced by "im AB1" greg.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Hi Leaf,

I'm still the same. I'm just at the end of my tether with people who post things in such a negative vein. Things like "Sydenham's sh*t, the shops are c*%p, it could be lovely but it ain't" and do nothing about it. Almost complaining for complainings sake - lamenting the lost beauty of a once highly salubrious area.

I just want to see more positivity and action from these people. Maybe alot of my old attitude I see in them but we need to do more than what is being done by the many. Worried about the ELLX impact? Then go to the meeting on Oct5 (?, sorry, diary not to hand). Not happy with the choice of shops on the high-street? Then go to the next Julie Sutch meeting.

In short there are ALOT of ailments being aired on this forum (funny how we all suffer the same sort of affliction) yet not a great many remedies to these ills being prescribed...if that makes sense.
leaf

Post by leaf »

:)
it does make sense greg,i know what you mean,ive said similar things on here myself,we're a nation of moaners not doers[or something like that]

leaf :wink:
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

Oh a coffee shop - yes I'd like that. So far we have one independent cafe that makes cappucino with instant coffee, then there's Zucker which is great and very friendly but only seats about six people at a time.

I wouldn't say no to a Nero or a Cafe Costa, that's for sure. Save me going to East Dulwich for a caffeine hit.

So far, that curious 'smoking paraphanalia' shop (with the cannabis logo boldy displayed) opposite Wellbeing has gone, and public pressure's seen off the proposed betting shop in the House of Curtains premises, so it could be that local demand in shifting in the right direction.

I'd be very happy if I could buy shoes in Sydenham. Not posh ones necessarily - just shoes. Ditto CDs. Alongside the notable gems, such as the DIY shop near Kirkdale roundabout, who are fantastic and know what you're talking about when you need a thing that will hold a bracket together. Plus the bookshop next door which is heaven for new titles or second hand read. Or Paulros which looks like something out of Little Britain but is a fantastic and cheerful source of cheap socks. trainers, t-shirts etc. And Kentmans Fish and Chips at the top of Sydenham which has regularly had new staff but is always very welcoming and top nosh on a Friday night...

Does anyone know what's happening to the space on the corner of Kirkdale/ Dartmouth Road that used to be a cane furniture shop about 10 years ago? It's been recently acquired by Kinleard Folkhard Something, rased to the ground and is now under offer. At some stage it had A3 (restaurant) permission. I wonder what it's going to be?
kster

Post by kster »

That curious 'smoking paraphernalia' shop whatever it was called, seems to be being fitted out. Anyone knows what it'll be or do we wait in anticipation?

In all the discussion on shops in the high street, no one seems to have mentioned that curious (and rare) military shop. Has anyone been in there? I'm too scared to go in - I don't know what I might find. But at least we in Sydenham can buy a genuine WW1 Tommy hat on our High Street – you can’t do that in Clapham or Islington!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I'd just like to say - that fish and chip shop on Sydenham HIgh St thats just a bit up from the cake shop on the corner and is next to to the party shop- does a truly excellent cod and chips. The Kentmen does a nice one but it was closed on monday (probably every monday) and that's why I tried the Sydenham High st one instead.