Have you bought your fish this week?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: Have you bought your fish this week?

Post by leenewham »

Amo was working on some fliers. I'm surprised he hasn't sent them out yet. I need to speak to him I have an idea for some...perhaps a little booklet of fish recipies with a few in there, or make the fliers the same format as the Sainsbury's ones so they can sit in the same folder.

Does anyone use the Sainsbury's recipe cards?

Amo has some great ideas for the future, but I wont spill the beans here.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I would dearly love a good fish and chip takeaway. The last ones we bought from the place on Kirkdale were horrid horrid horrid. I don't think this will be part of his plan though - he works long enough hours as it is.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

It's a bit out of the way, but I like the chippy by Penge East station
poppy

Post by poppy »

A good chippy is definitely urgently required. :D Preferably one you can sit in, along the Sea Cow in East Dulwich model - and child friendly, please, which means lots of room to manoeuvre a buggy and sit comfortably with young children.

I am sorry to say that I rarely go to the cafes in Sydenham to sit and eat with mine because it is so awkward and you feel in the way, which is a shame. I might try the Tea Pot in Forest Hill soon, is supposed to be really set up for families.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Thanks for reminding me Tim. I had forgotten about Penge, people say its good. We'll need to take our insulated bag down one day and then run home with them. Or eat them on the way home - always the best way but works better at the seaside.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The fish and chip shop down near the Dolphin is good and always friendly. Although I admit I'm partial to a saveloy or mince and onion pie over fish in batter with loads of vinegar, mushy peas and Daddies sauce (My midlands upbringing).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

We use the fish and chip near the Dolphin and it's good - not outstanding, but always acceptable, and the best we've found in the area. The guys who run it are really nice and the place is always spotless.
Last edited by Rachael on 12 Oct 2010 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Re the new wet fish shop. I was delighted with the freshness of the fish I bought :) The man who served me seemed a little surly...

Next time, I bought a whole fish and didn't realise until I got home that it wasn't gutted (still excellent fish by the way). So the next time, I asked if he could tell me if it wasn't gutted... Complete change of persona: "We're always happy to gut fish for a customer; we don't because some prefer it whole." He did point out that it would be weighed/costed first, but that's usual and how it is priced of course so no worries.

With a gutted fish handed to me (a darn sight better than the job I did) and even a couple of smiles along the way, I've decided to make it my life's work to make him smile more often, lol. Their fish really is very good and fresh though, at least that I've bought, so I'm happy :)
mosy

Post by mosy »

On a whim, I just popped down for some smoked cod or haddock to make my version of a kedgeree and also to see if I agreed with an earlier adverse comment about service, which I sort of did initially but changed my tune on last visit. So, just now, great service (and smiles), so perhaps it's easier for a vendor once they recognise you and have a better idea of likes and dislikes?

Anyway, I'm happy :)
Willy

Post by Willy »

I'm surprised to hear that they sell fish "un-gutted", leaving the guts in hastens the decay of the fish. I've never heard of a fishmonger selling fish with the guts intact.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I've most certainly seen "whole fish" before and am quite used to whole fish being sold as weighed first and gutted if wished, but at the time, I just didn't see that this was a "whole" fish.

I asked on another forum as it was my thinking like yours, Willy, that the guts deteriorate more quickly than the fish itself so not good if kept ungutted or frozen ungutted. If you are interested, I'll post up.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I've been shopping at Billings once or twice a week since it opened, and am much more likely to pop into Fresh & Fruity as a result.

I've been really pleased by how willing they are to bring in some unusual types of fish and seafood (I think they were amused by my enthusiasm over an octopus a few weeks ago), and their prawns have been lovely - lots of fat around the heads for those of us who need it for Tom Yum Goong.

I'm still due to pop in this week and am planning on picking up some of the honey smoked salmon they have in stock. That stuff is seriously addictive.
amob

Post by amob »

Hello again,
Just a quick post addressing the guts in fish situation.

We clean (gut, de-gill, scale) nearly all the fish we sell to customers. We ask out of politeness, because on some rare occasions the customer prefers to do it themselves.

Leaving the guts in a fish will deteriorate it quicker if not stored properly (0-4 degrees c) we wouldn't recommend it.

Regards,
Amo.

P.s- I appreciate the feedback, I am taking note of it all and doing my best to address any concerns.
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

As well as flyers, Amo should talk to somewhere like the Dolphin, supply them and get a mention on their menu. Keeping it local and all that.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Agree with that Nature Boy. Might be worth talking to Raff aswell as he often has fish on the menue at Trattoria.

G-Man
mosy

Post by mosy »

Could I mention a thing: I referred earlier to "the new wet fish shop" because it's only when on the other side of the road that one sees the Billings name on the awning and fascia board. I think the name is on the roller shutter but that's no use during open hours. It makes it harder to recommend to people on foot or those driving who would be looking for a name.

Would it help to apply the name to the thigh-height span of tiles which form part of the frontage? and as a sign somewhere inside the shop too? Maybe there's a name sign already that I miss (well it's the fish I'm looking at) though I guess if I missed it (if there is one) then others do too? Just a thought.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Mosy, the name will be in the window soon too.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

couldn't agree more with the leafletting/flyers idea - though they'd have to stand out from the usual crowd of take away menus that come through my letterbox, or they'll be recycled pretty smartish.

I'd be happy to volunteer to deliver some if necessary - Mayow Road, Perry Rise sort of area.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I went in tonight having read julsb's comment regarding honey smoked salmon. It sounded intriguing and I haven't been in for a while. Wow wow wow. It was stunning and miniminifox yummed it up. beautiful
Keep it up guys - will be in again soon. Thanks for a genuine high street treasure to join the dolphin and sugahill

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

All Billings recipes now up on the Sydenham Society website.

www.sydenhamsociety.com