Praying for Sydenham and Forest Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Praying for Sydenham and Forest Hill

Post by Robin Orton »

Churches Together in Sydenham and Forest Hill will be participating in 'Pray For Lewisham' which is taking place at the Civic Suite next to the Town Hall at Catford next Tuesday 23 November from 7.00 to 8.30 pm. The Mayor, Sir Steve Bullock, will be introducing the event. Anyone who thinks that praying for the needs of our community is (or might be) a worthwhile activity will be welcome.
Wispy Wonder

Re: Praying for Sydenham and Forest Hill

Post by Wispy Wonder »

It doesn't bode well for the area when the mayor is leading 'Prayers for Lewisham'. What on earth has the council got in mind for us that warrants godly intervention??
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Wispy Wonder wrote:What on earth has the council got in mind for us that warrants godly intervention??
Divine spending cuts, my child. Shortly followed by a papal reach-around.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

HAHA @ BBW.

Faith can move mountains. Unless you are desperate then it just blatantly ignores you and leaves you in limbo to suffer.

I doubt that prayers can save Lewisham, it needs a miracle, from what I've heard there hasn't been one of those for over 2000 years. I doubt something as fictional as god will have an effect to better the community. The church has been in decline in this country for a long time and its deffo lost its clout in regards to controlling the masses but there are still those who find solace in its ideology.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Just got back from this. A good occasion, which was organised by the Lewisham 'borough deans' representing all the main Christian churches. The council chamber and the public gallery were full, with an overflow on the landing outside. An encouraging introductory talk by Sir Steve who stayed throughout the one and a half hours. The style of prayer was Pentecostal ('happy clappy', if you must) which was interesting and rather exciting for us old fogeys from the traditional denominations. Excellent Gospel choir. Good talks by experts on services for young people, social care for elderly people, and 'Street Pastors', with the stress on how churches and individual Christians can make practical contributions to the good of the community in these areas.