Keep an eye on your garden gate

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Fatbackfour

Keep an eye on your garden gate

Post by Fatbackfour »

Thiefs are taking metal garden gates from the front of peoples property. We have eleven houses in our road and four have had thier gates stolen. The gates are taken to scrap dealers and sold for cash . Having contacted the Police they explained that these thefts are widespread throughout the UK.
Eagle

Re: Keep an eye on your garden gate

Post by Eagle »

Hard to believe but guess end up in 40 ft box to Shanghai or Wuhan.

Police hopefully trying to catch those criminals responsible I hope. Trouble is they have stolen the gates from Wansworth Prison.

I wonder what in today's climate would be the punishment for stealing a gate. ?
1. One months penal servitude.
2. week on the costs blanca
3. 5 mins community service
mosy

Post by mosy »

I have a sneaking suspicion that keeping an eye on the gate won't keep it from being nicked ;) Short of electrifying it (don't do that at home by the way given it's illegal, lol), is there a deterrent measure one could take?

I suppose one could wrap that yellow & black striped tape over as if it's a police line. It'd get the neighbours talking if nothing else... :evil:
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Sorry I could resist this :roll:

If you catch them do not saying anything to them as they might take offence ( A Fence).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

it's just another one of life's petty crimes that people get away with - and it's annoying!

the person who's gate is nicked contacts the police, but they don't spend much time on it was it's not that high up the scale of issues to deal with.
they won't bother claiming on the house insurance as it's probably less than the excess to replace the gate.
the value of the scrap is probably only just worth enough for someone to make a small profit when several are nicked at the same time.
the scrap metal merchant will pay cash, and won't ask where they've come from, and won't give the police any information.
the criminal probably won't go back to the same street any time soon, if they're sensible, it'll be a few close streets in one hit in one night, and then off to another random part of the country a few days later.

it's not quite as bad as someone throwing paint stripper over your car, but it's close.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Seemingly during WWII all railings etc were cut down to provide metal for munitions. Wonder what it's used for these days, given I guess it's not petrol cigarette lighters...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Due to high price of metals they are loaded into Containers for China where they are melted down and used in industry.
Due to the vast inbalance of trade containers eastbound very cheap
Annie

Post by Annie »

Our gate was stolen about 10 years ago along with a neighbours, but they must have panicked because I found it leaning against a wall a few hours later.
so I was lucky.
Its not even the cost of a new gate that annoys me, it's the audacity of some low life touching something that belongs to me that made me soooo mad at the time :evil:
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Eagle wrote:I wonder what in today's climate would be the punishment for stealing a gate?
Melting-down the thieves would be an effective deterrent.
Annie

Post by Annie »

(Melting-down the thieves would be an effective deterrent.[/quote]

That would suite me! :twisted:
Iris

Post by Iris »

Crackheads can turn anything into crack.
Look on Ebay
New vendor selling iron gates on Sunday car boot!
Vintage gates for Christmas/Greenwich Market!
Shame we can't use superglue!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sorry glueing the crims to the gate would be a breach of their Human Rights.
As that poor Head Masters widow said in North London you should only have Human Rights if you are showing responsibility to society