Greyhound Development

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
paultreacy

Greyhound Development

Post by paultreacy »

Where can I find up to date news on this development? Any models anywhere that can be looked at?

I live right by Cobbs Corner and so I'm excited about how this project might improve it. Would love to know what to expect.

Cheers,
Paul Treacy

SydenhamShots Blog
ALIB

Re: Greyhound Development

Post by ALIB »

i have lots of pictures of the models and designs that were in Kirkdale Books.

unfortunately, I cannot load them into this reply, due to technical incompetence.

Can Admin, or anyone, give some advice. ?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The model showing the proposed development has been in the Gallery of Kirkdale Bookshop for about 18 months! It was part of the public consultation exercise when the planning application was lodged early last year.

The current date for the re-opening of the Greyhound is October 2011, and the estimated completion of the retail/residential units is May 2011.

Exciting times ahead!
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

I have seen that model a while back but was concerned that it may have changed over time. Thanks for offering to send jpeg attachments. I will explore this site later this evening first.

Exciting indeed.
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

Great to see that you are interested in the Greyhound development Paul. As a photographer you might be interested in entering the Greyhound Pub Wall Design competition - see the topic elsewhere on this forum or on the http://www.sydenhamsociety.co.uk and http://www.sydenhamartsfestival.co.uk websites.

There are still two weeks left before the registration closing date if it has slipped your mind. Just email your details by 22 December to receive your competition brief to greyhoundpubwalldesign@hotmail.co.uk

The final date for competition entries is 9 January. So you will have nearly three weeks during the Christmas and New Year's break to get those creative juices flowing.
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

A vague picture:

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_greyhound_plans.html

(Doesn't include the new pedestrian crossing that will be in front of the greyhound (moving the crossing from the centre of the railway bridge) that is part of the high street redevelopment.)
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

... and the picture shows the concrete roundabout at Cobbs corner - I believe the new one will be planted as part of the TfL roadworks.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i found my old pictures of the model and some artists impressions

ali Picture 003 by alistair_bryan, on Flickr

ali Picture 007 by alistair_bryan, on Flickr

ali Picture 008 by alistair_bryan, on Flickr

ali Picture 010 by alistair_bryan, on Flickr

ali Picture 011 by alistair_bryan, on Flickr

ali Picture 013 by alistair_bryan, on Flickr
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm so excited by this. I thing it's a great development.
Bruce, which wall is the mural going to appear on?
Dot

Post by Dot »

Could someone explain why the side wall to the Greyhound along Peak Hill Gardens is currently being preserved and propped up by scaffolding? It's just that it doesn't feature on the plans shown above. Thanks!
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

which wall is the mural going to appear on?
The artwork, (it might not be a mural) will be on the new north elevation, in other words the rear wall of the pub. This part of the building was demolished to separate the pub from the remainder of the development, leaving all the old rooms, walls and floors exposed. A new wall will be built to form one side of the public walkway from Spring Hill into the public space around the Greyhound and the new retail and residential units. This wall will be the "blank canvas" for the artwork. The wall is not shown in Alib's photos but photo 010 shows the pub - the new wall will be at the rear.
why the side wall to the Greyhound along Peak Hill Gardens is currently being preserved and propped up by scaffolding? It's just that it doesn't feature on the plans shown above.
The side wall being preserved (in Spring Hill not Peak Hill Gardens) will be incorporated into the new retail & residential building and will form the end wall - best shown in Alib's photo 013 - which, I believe, shows this wall and the access road from Spring Hill behind the new retail and residential buildings.
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

Just seven days left to register to enter the competition. Email your name, local address and telephone number to greyhoundpubwalldesign@hotmail.co.uk by 22 December to receive the competition brief.
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

Just two days left to register.
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

* * * * LAST DAY TO REGISTER * * * *
Email your name, local address and telephone number to greyhoundpubwalldesign@hotmail.co.uk to receive the competition brief.....

... and Seasons Greetings to all :D
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

The entries for the Greyhound Pub Wall Design Competition are now on public display at the Gallery of The Kirkdale Bookshop 8).

Please go along to have look :roll: and write any comments, likes :D and dislikes :(, for the judging panel to take into consideration when they decide on the winning design on 29th January.
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

Why not look at the entries on the Town Hall Forum here http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5691 or visit the exhibition at the Kirkdale Bookshop.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

*bump*

The greyhound development is continuing apace and I can't wait to we have a fully functioning pub and some shops on the site.

On the subject of which, my other half was in the barbers last week and overheard someone saying Waitrose were lined up to take on one of the shops. Now this sounds like ideal gossip combined with wishful thinking, but I wondered if anyone else had heard anything?
simon

Post by simon »

I heard from a very good source that the retail space was going to just two businesses. Given the amount of space and configueration, a supermarket would be a good fit. Parking and deliveries could be an issue though. Waitrose also works in terms of who else is already in Sydenham.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Its going to be Sainsburys isnt it? def not Waitrose.
leaf

Post by leaf »