Snowing again / Trains / Travel

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Gaz

Snowing again / Trains / Travel

Post by Gaz »

It's snowing really heavily in central london at the moment (and has already settled about 2inches outside my office). Can people please update this with what it's like in Sydenham (especially any impact on train and bus) as I'm concerned I may be stranded in town tonight!

Cheers
Rachael

Re: Snowing again / Trains / Travel

Post by Rachael »

Just a sprinkling of snow here and it's stopped. Blue skies.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Post by stuart »

I cycled to Forest Hill at noon. No problem - but I did choose a bike with knobbly tyres!

Our road is always the worst in SE26. Still cycleable. Main roads clear and no immediate forecast of snow so I guess you need a better excuse to leave early unless Southern can snatch defeat ...

Stuart
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Doh! :D

Thanks guys. All the forecasts point to snow over the weekend, so updates on sites such as this are invaluable.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I too was expecting snow at the weekend, only to be caught out whilst on site in Hackney - one minute I was just cold, and ten minutes later I was cold, wet, covered in snow, and slipping all over the road. luckily the sun came out and the temp hasn't dropped too much yet.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Looks like Friday is OK. Heavy snow after midday Saturday. In anticipation Southern & SouthEastern have cut services tomorrow:

Southern: http://www.southernrailway.com/southern ... -december/

SouthEastern: http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/do ... -december/

Stuart
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

We foolishly relied on the TfL 'service disruption' site yesterday evening to check whether the 122 was running towards Ladywell. No problems, it said. In fact the 122 didn't seem to be running south of Forest Hill, at any rate in a northbound direction. It appears that the bus bit of the TfL site is not geared up to telling customers about weather disruptions.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

The trains are running this morning into London Bridge. There is about a 8 or 9 min delay on each one, which probably means you'll end up catching the one before the one you were aiming for! Overground seems to be running fine too. Good luck going to wherever you are going to, folks.

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

yep trains running ok this am - but snow due to arrive in London at about 4pm, and last into the early hours of tomorrow, so don't leave work too late tonight, and be prepared to 'work from home' tomorrow (if you're still at work that is).
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Yep trains were running ok when I left 08.09 hrs this morning, although we got passed New Cross Gate just by Millwall football ground and lost power from the third rail - train then went into reverse for a while and power came back - probably about a 15 min delay all in all. Well done that train driver :D
gurka

Post by gurka »

Am travelling from Dartford to Syds and just looked outside the office and this blinking great big dark cloud has just appeared from now where (It was blue skies 20 mins ago !).

Maybe I should be leaving soonish.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Major disruption on Sydenham Road and Kirkdale this evening. I was driving up from the Thorpes to Upper Sydenham. Buses slewed across the road in several places. and cars seemed to have difficulty getting over the railway bridge by Sydenham station. In the end, I had to abandon my car by Costcutters at the Kirkdale/Dartmouth Road roundabout - was told that no traffic had been able to get any further up Kirkdale for an hour. What appeared to be a group of volunteer traffic wardens seemed to be doing a splendid job directing traffic and helping motorists who were stuck - they said they'd tried to get the police to come and take over, but without success.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

I can confirm Robin's post. It is happening outside my window. There are at least seven buses stuck on Kirkdale and the junction with Dartmouth Road is completely blocked
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

By some miracle the busses that have been stuck for the past two hours have now decided that they can move after all. Traffic beginning to move but it is treacherous
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Overground cancelled. Trains delayed by up to 50 mins from London bridge or cancelled. What happened. It hardly snowed in central London. From the carriage window it looks like about 10mm fell!

simon

Post by simon »

I take it you're not home yet Lee. Its been comming down solid for four hours and I should imagine its worse further out.
I doubt there will be much travel by any means in and out of Sydenham tomorrow morning if it continues much longer.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Just got home Simon. Blimey! It's like someone drew a Line
at sydenham and said 'snow from here onwards only'.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I'm not long back either - only took 2.5hrs from Leics Sq!

No trains at all from Charing X, so tried the tube. At Whitechapel I learnt that the Overground was only running to Surrey Quays apparently, but then some appeared heading to New Cross Gate. At NXG we were eventually told by staff that an Overground train had broken down further up the line so no trains at all were running south of NXG.

Eventually got a 171 to Brockley Rise and walked home from there with my feet feeling like blocks of ice by the time I got to Kirkdale.

And, you just know that tomorrow all my colleagues will get into work with few problems, but our little stretch of train track... Grrrrr! :x
simon

Post by simon »

Glad to hear you're both home safe :)
And it's stopped snowing so things can only get better :D
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

Tuesday Morning. - Overground running as normal, Southern running but with minor delays. AND (sit down if you are standing) they are clearing the snow from the platforms!