Tyre slashing in Homecroft Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
AdrianC

Tyre slashing in Homecroft Road

Post by AdrianC »

As you probably know if you're local, Homecroft Road is a busy road re: parking and us residents grab a space wherever we can - usually it's fairly near the house. Been here a few years and there have been no problems until early December, when my car was scratched with a key three times quite deeply. Then just before new year, all four tyres were deliberately slashed, which I had replaced. Today I noticed one of the front tyres was flat and the tyre repair company came round to fix it. He said he was 99% sure it had been done deliberately - either with a dart, small screwdriver, or even a biro (which he said can be used).

I keep myself to myself, haven't had any disagreements with anyone and my only contact with anyone around here is a quick hello to the neighbour when our paths cross. It could just be a random coincidence, there could be more to it, or it could be something that's happening a lot around this area and you just don't get to hear about it.

Has anyone had, or know of any similar occurances in this road/area?

Much appreciation,

Adrian.
Hill Dweller

Re: Tyre slashing in Homecroft Road

Post by Hill Dweller »

Have you blocked someone's place that they regard as their 'usual'?

I've had serious damage done to my car in a certain 'Close' off Kirkdale where the residents really think it's private as in non-highway!
Also had problems very often when parking near Penge East station ..... can't say I blame those residents for being piqued but causing damage takes some gall.
AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

There's really no such thing as a usual spot in this road - the nature of the road is that you rarely park in the same spot twice - you park sometimes near the house, sometimes a bit further away and on occasions right at the bottom of the street.

As I said it could just be a random coincidence, or the second puncturing could have occurred elsewhere and the tyre slowly deflated overnight. Either way, it's a really aggravating experience that can't help but make you a bit paranoid.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very sad but probably an isolated thug. I know Homecroft well. Not built with cars in mind.
How about turning it into a pedestrial only road with flowers and seats.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Try leaving a scarecrow sitting in the driver's seat overnight (ideally wearing a semi-luminous hockey mask), then see how it goes from there. It worked for me when I was being targeted by an unstable, nocturnal acupuncturist.

All joking aside, though. You'll probably find that one of your neighbours is an environmental extremist and is trying to coerce you into swapping your car for one of those G-Wiz electric vegan-mobiles that Stephen Hawking could burn-off at the lights with predictable ease.