CRIME MAPS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

CRIME MAPS

Post by leenewham »

Worth a look to put everything in perspective.

Sydenham is Average for the UK, as is Lewisham in general. Crime is much higher in Westminster, Fulham, Islington etc than here.

http://maps.met.police.uk/
Rachael

Re: CRIME MAPS

Post by Rachael »

Personally, I'm not going to look. Fear of crime is about perception as much as fact and as I currently feel perfectly safe where I live, I don't feel the need to challenge that perception. Knowing about crime doesn't affect my actual safety, but it could affect my feeling of safety.

That's just from my point of view, of course.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
gurka

Post by gurka »

Is this similar to the www.police.uk uk site (that is always busy)
jmc

Post by jmc »

That's the link to the old crime mapping website. A new, and far more detailed, crime map went online yesterday.

Almost impossible to use at moment due to an "opening day" rush, but it's at the following link.
http://www.police.uk/

You can go search for an area, then drag a pointer around to see crime in an area. Level is detailed with crime broken down into several categories then allocated to a street or small group of streets.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Can't see anything about how the stats are organised.
If eg: it's about crimes per sq. mile then the population densities in town could explain part of that.
Is it about property crime/insurance ref. numbers vs: violent, ditto.
Is it about no-ticket crimes on LT? If the latter I'm afraid I was REAlly upset a couple of weeks ago, using a bendy bus and finding that what I've always poo-pooed as a criticism of them ( I love 'em) actually does happen, people really do get on and barefacedly don't make contact with the yellow pads. :(
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Oooops I just clicked on 'Edit' to see why my post's text was darker than others' .....

Saw for the first time that there's a button to delete one's entire post :?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

You're far more likely to be harassed by a band of hooded brigands in lower rather than upper Sydenham. Fact.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

it's interesting stuff: but I'm not quite sure what publishing the data achieves.

And has been mentioned above: without knowing what type of crime, and the circumstances the data is pretty meaningless.

For example, you might have one road with dozens and dozens of violent crimes recorded. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're far more likely to be robbed/bottled/stabbed/shot in that road: it could just be that there are one or two households in that street that have a constant stream of domestics.- unfortunate for them, but have little effect on other people in the road.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I daresay they have to publish data no matter how raw, Bonsonby, so that armchair critics can assess whether the cops/robbers ratio suits them.

I'd not be a cop for any amount of remuneration at all, for one's days and nights to be filled with domestics and broken people that won't report, or attend RTAs and see what they see, let alone all the ridiculosity of the Charlie Gilmour types ........ nooooo way Jose :(

I wonder whether the colour white for the City denotes 'off the scale'? :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

they are now releasing data on an even more localised level - street by street.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Maybe it's of some use in that you can see why insurers load your policy price however they do ?

Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Does anyone know what planet Theresa May's from? :cry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12335044
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

bigbadwolf wrote:You're far more likely to be harassed by a band of hooded brigands in lower rather than upper Sydenham. Fact.
Only if I see you coming BBW.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I've just had a quick look and not sure if it's just me being cack handed but I did not find it an easy site to use - couldn't get the statistics to stay on the display and moving around was a real chore. Not what I was expecting it to be.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Finally managed to get onto the police.uk site (have been trying all day).
I'm actually quite impressed with how detailed these maps are compared to the met police map site that the OP posted.
But after my initial nosiness of checking out what was going on around the streets where I lived, then my parents place, friends place, previous addresses etc etc - I think I started to get a bit depressed about what the maps were telling me or subconsciously telling me ie like hmmm I shouldnt really use that road over there anymore because there was a violent crime or shouldnt really park my car around that area anymore - there was some vehicle crime etc etc - and all on one months set of data.
So may be it is like what the second poster alluded to - and does kind of heighten your fear of crime. But saying all that - it's good to have a nose around :) and it does try and introduce the local SNT to you (though not much details yet).