Newlands Park Murder?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Hill Dweller

Re: Newlands Park Murder?

Post by Hill Dweller »

posy wrote:Local peoples ideas on keeping our area safer and preventing crime should surely be of interest. We all live here and we all matter.

I really don't know what the he** you think you're arguing about.

However ..... Pffffffffffffttt
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Eagle wrote: I would have thought it likely , even in todays softly softly policing , that a murder suspect would not be released on Bail.

As we don't 'do' torture
and as we have limits on the amounts of time away from work and family that a person against whom there is no hard and fast evidence can be held, we can always hope that 'out' in society they will drop clues that they can't drop in a cell .... IF they are guilty and not merely under suspicion.
posy

Post by posy »

HD and others before I go over the moon where reality lurks. Let me satisfy your probing inquisitiveness. I am English, born in Penge with all the reserve of my nationality. I am a former military officer a veteran of conflict and working in law enforcement for many a year now, also dwelling on a hill not ten minutes from Newlands park. I confess to being staggered by some of the opinions encountered on this forum that display such naivety of police procedures, egotistical rantings and sheer ignorance of the huge problem of violent street crime particularly assaults with knives happening in London including Sydenham & Penge at this time. It has been insightful I thank you for that. Alas it was no great leap for humankind though. Mayhap without further murders happening locally you may reconsider some opinions and try to take a responsible hand in making this community better no effort is too tiny. Keep your wits about you when you are out and about for all is not as it seems. Ta Ta :wink:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

ok, if we are talking qualifications let me state mine, whether these are relevant or not doesn't seem to matter: I have several years military experience and several years law enforcement experience. Service numberes avaialable over PM.

How this is relevant I don't quite understand....but I thought I'd put them out there.

In any case, I fail to see how shadowy references to "credentials" actually substitute for informed and evidenced debate about crime and disorder placed in an open forum. something you seem to have consistently failed to deliver on, or reply to.

Oh well, to be discredited eh? :wink:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely the main concern is to get the guilty B.....ds caught and locked away for life. And I mean life. Ideally they should suffer the same fate as their poor victim.
They have taken the life of a young man who had most of his life ahead of him. It is so sad.

Why are we arguing about our origins and work experience.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Well we could argue Eagle about whether society should really employ someone to do as you suggest.

I think that in most cases the answer would be 'no'; most killings aren't planned and if they were they might require an even more cruel person, to be capable of using the same method.
dudachef

Post by dudachef »

Did you say TWO in a week?
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

A man (thought to be squatting with others) was found dead in a house on the other side of Sydenham a few days before Daniel's murder Chef.

I believe two people were arrested but don't know the latest.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

four were initially arrested - two were charged.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Ah yes, I think I might have even mentioned charges a couple of weeks ago.

This senility's a terrible thing :P
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

How utterly tragic. For the family of the victim and his friends. But also for the students he would have had. There are far too few male teachers. In fact, too few male teachers is one of the societal problems that contributes to awful crimes such as this. Too many young males growing up without access to a community of good men to guide them. Deeply saddening.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Very good point. My son was lucky to have two male teachers at Junior school, one was something of a bully but the other was a real fun bloke-y type; also their male head was very very effective even under the mean-spirited financial strictures of the late 80s.

catwoman

Post by catwoman »

This murder is being shown on Crime watch at 9pm on BBC 1. Lets hope they catch the .scum
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I trust you are right Catwoman. However surely everyone who could have witnessed something would have heard of the murder. I hope I am wrong.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

It could have been a one off journey for someone travelling through Penge and hasn't heard about the murder on the news. Crime Watch isn't just about witnesses coming forward, it is also about retrieving personal belongings and weapons that were involved in the crime. Crime Watch is also broadcasted to a wider audience and therefore increases the chances of finding anymore information.
michael

Post by michael »

Source: Press Association
Police said there had been "a good response" to an appeal broadcast on the BBC's Crimewatch, recreating the murder of an aspiring teacher who was stabbed to death in a south-east London street.

Police aimed to jog witnesses' memories through the reconstruction of Samuel Guidera's final moments in Sydenham, south-east London, plus televised interviews with his family.

Officers said they were "urgently" searching for passengers who saw the 24-year-old leave a train at Penge East before he was found collapsed in the street on February 12.

Two men aged 18 and 39 have been arrested and bailed until April over the attack.

Appearing on the show, Detective Chief Inspector Laurence Smith said: "We've had a good response but we need everybody who was on that train that arrived at Penge East station at 9.41pm to contact police.

"They left that station moments before Sam was fatally stabbed in the heart. We need these people, it's crucial they contact police now."
poppy

Post by poppy »

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet. But it was very moving:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crimewatch/appeals ... rder.shtml
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Amazing that 30 or so people left another train a few minutes later but I must admit that if I try to recall what are normally humdrum situations I fail.

I hope his parents, family and girlfriend resisted watching, not that anything could make things worse for them and for some time yet.

alywin

Unrelated, I hope ...

Post by alywin »

... but I've been forwarded an email from the police saying that a man was attacked the other day, March 3rd, I think, on the other side of the railway, in St. John's Road, Penge - no idea of time. *He* was hit on the head, rather than knifed, and robbed.
sean

Post by sean »

MURDERED student Samuel Guidera’s last movements before he was stabbed to death will be reconstructed on Crimewatch.

The BBC programme will show what the 24-year-old University of Greenwich student did in the build up to his death in Newlands Park, Sydenham, on February 12.

An interview with Mr Guidera's parents Chris and Sarah, who he lived with in Avenue Road in Penge, will also be broadcast.

Crimewatch will also reveal for the first time that Mr Guidera's wallet was stolen during the attack.

Met Police detectives will also appeal for witnesses who may have seen Mr Guidera in between boarding the 9.17pm train from Bickley to Penge East and his death.

After leaving Penge East station, he went to a nearby convenience store before walking towards the bus stop in Newlands Park, where he was attacked at around 9.55pm.

Mr Guidera, who lived with his parents in Avenue Road in Penge, died from a single stab wound to the heart.

Detective Chief Inspector Laurence Smith, who is leading the investigation, said: "We urgently want to trace and speak to the people who were on that train, or had just got off at Penge East station.

“They may have information that would assist the investigation and it is really important that they come forward and speak to us.

“Sam's family are devastated by this tragedy and how this young man's future has been snatched away from him.

“We want to bring those responsible to justice and I am appealing to the public to help us."

Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Source: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/broml ... h/?ref=rss