Newlands Park Murder?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Kosmic Kartman

Newlands Park Murder?

Post by Kosmic Kartman »

This morning the police widened their search area to include the area in front of the shops by Penge East Station. Talk is that a young lad was stabbed to death.
Last edited by Kosmic Kartman on 13 Feb 2011 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
simon

Re: Newlands Park Murder?

Post by simon »

Indeed. 23 year old stabbed.
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/88502 ... in_street/

Thats two murders in a week! Four since last May.
Kosmic Kartman

Post by Kosmic Kartman »

Bit worrying when it's letteraly on the doorstep. Overheard that the Police will be shutting Penge East station for a search on the line.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes two murders in a week. I would not have beieved that of Sydenham when I was young in the 50's.

Surely no one out there still against the death penalty.
northbriton45

Post by northbriton45 »

It seems to be a student from the University of Greenwich who was heading home. Crossed over the bridge and was then attacked. He collapsed in Bailey Place.
Police seem to think he might have been the victim of a robbery. Very worrying.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:Yes two murders in a week. I would not have beieved that of Sydenham when I was young in the 50's.

Surely no one out there still against the death penalty.
Its a sign of the times and the social decay that is blighting this country there are some terrible people on our streets who have no value for human life. A tragic incident indeed.

I'm totally against the death penalty because the judicial system is not infallible.
What do you do if you get the wrong man?
SIMONTREWIN

latest

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

Male
Date:
2011-02-12
Nationality:
British
Weapon:
Knife
Categories: Uncategorised
Case synopsis:

Student Samuel Guidera was stabbed to death in a suspected robbery 200 metres from Penge East station in south London.

The 24 year-old, who wanted to be a teacher, was found collapsed in the street at 9.55pm on Saturday, 12 February, 2011.

His family said in a statement: "Samuel was a hard working man, who was passionate about his studies.

"He was also very family orientated. We are devastated and cannot understand why this has happened. We would appeal to anyone who has information about our son to contact the police."

Samuel, who studied history and politics at Greenwich University, had travelled on the 9.17pm train from Bickley to Penge East to meet a friend. He was carrying a pink T-mobile carrier bag

He is thought to have arrived at the station just after 9.30pm and crossed over the footbridge towards Newlands Park. He was found injured at the junction with Bailey Place and was pronounced dead at hospital an hour later.

Detective Chief Inspector John McFarlane, said: "We are keen to speak with anyone who remembers seeing him either on the train or getting off just after 21:30.

"We are considering a number of possibilities, but believe this may have been a robbery. There would have been a number of people in the area and we are keen to speak with them."

Anyone with information is asked to contact detectives on 020 8721 4205 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

There have as yet been no arrests.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Eagle wrote: Surely no one out there still against the death penalty.
Yes, me.

There is no conclusive proof that the death penalty reduces murder rates. Infact in the USA states without the death penalty seem to have lower homicide rates than those that that do. Plus there are too many mistakes by the justice system.

But anyway, my thoughts and condolences go to the family and friends of the victim. It's a terrible thing to have happened, especially here.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:
Eagle wrote: Surely no one out there still against the death penalty.
Yes, me.

There is no conclusive proof that the death penalty reduces murder rates. Infact in the USA states without the death penalty seem to have lower homicide rates than those that that do. Plus there are too many mistakes by the justice system.

But anyway, my thoughts and condolences go to the family and friends of the victim. It's a terrible thing to have happened, especially here.
Exactly Lee. Opponents of the death sentence are not so much bleeding heart liberals, as realists with justice.
sean

Post by sean »

sydeman

Post by sydeman »

What an absolutely dreadful waste of life. It makes me so sad to hear about this, and so close to home. I must drive down Newlands every week, and often use the station at night.

The death penalty arguements are irrelevent...if kids nowadays were brought up to respect each other more, and taught right from wrong, then maybe this sort of thing may happen less. We will never wipe it out though. Maybe its me, but when i was a kid in 1970s, if i did wrong i was slapped; made me think about doing it again. There seemed more respect then. Still...whatever we say, will not bring this poor guy back, and thats what we should be concentrating on.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

What a waste of a life, the amount of times I've walked down there too just brings things home. Thoughts go out to his family.
Kate R Park

Post by Kate R Park »

It's so sad and worrying that this has happened to an apparently innocent passer-by. I'm guessing that he resisted an attempt to relieve him of a mobile phone/mp3 player. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

It may or may not be a coincidence, but in the past few weeks on several ocassions I've noticed a group of 'youfs' hanging around the entrance to the Kent-bound platform between 17:30 and 19:00, smoking dope and not looking as though they were waiting for a train. As it gets later, it can be horribly deserted once you've got beyond the chippy and grocer. My gf was attacked a couple of years ago walking down Lennard Road from Penge East - it was only the intervention of a passer-by that prevented her losing her bag.

Hopefully the police will find the murderer, and they'll be taken out of society for long enough to not be a danger when they're released. As I've noticed on other forums, there's a distinct lack of police presence in this area - you occassionally see the BTP on the trains, but very rarely any Met police foot patrols.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Firstly, RIP.
I hope it doesn't turn out to be about a phone or other accessory.
In the early days of mobiles I had the heart-stopping experience one night of mine ringing, only to hear the sounds of running footsteps and desperate panting. My sprog was being chased and had accidentally connected ..... didn't know, or update me so it was hours before I knew the outcome, knew he was safe and had actually had the would-be thief arrested (and later tried and locked up).

Foot patrols? For every copper on foot at one spot there will be hundreds of others that they can not be at (because of where they are).

Let's not be taken in by Theresa May's glib 'only 11%' ever being out on the streets at any one time. Such a figure must be counting every Officer's 24/7 and not counting hours off-duty.
Westredd

Post by Westredd »

No Police presence on that side of the station. Oh hang on, no I'm wrong. There are plenty of Police there when the transport ticket inspectors are doing a spot check at the Newlands exit.

Fantastic work by the Police. Trying to catch out fare dodgers while young scumbags are stabbing and killing decent contributors to society. This guy was gonna be a teacher, pay his taxes etc.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Yup - this was definitely murder at the hands of the police :evil:

Get real will you. We could certainly do with more coppers on the beat, but they can't be everywhere at all times. This was a killing carried out by some cowardly lowlife - the police didn't force anyone's (knife) hand.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Westredd wrote:No Police presence on that side of the station. Oh hang on, no I'm wrong. There are plenty of Police there when the transport ticket inspectors are doing a spot check at the Newlands exit.
Fantastic work by the Police. Trying to catch out fare dodgers while young scumbags are stabbing and killing decent contributors to society. This guy was gonna be a teacher, pay his taxes etc.

You would be referring to Police whose entire duty is on public transport.

The clue would be in what is printed on their jackets - Transport Police.

As stated above ..... choose the right person/s to blame OR try to join up and really meet the bill (no pun intended).
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Westredd

LOL, I'm always amused by such 'newbie' hitters and runners.
Are you really a newbie or another member in a special frock for that post?
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

RIP and condolences to this young chap's family.
Absolutely sickening and I sincerely hope the murderer(s) are caught.