East London Line trains to Highbury start on Monday morning!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Brockley Nick

East London Line trains to Highbury start on Monday morning!

Post by Brockley Nick »

Here's the article confirming the news:

http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/201 ... ngton.html
squashst

Re: East London Line trains to Highbury start on Monday morn

Post by squashst »

Has Sydenham station also introduced the new "information" boards, so that ELL departures shows Highbury and Islington on 2 lines of the platform departure boards - so you can't see the 2nd or 3rd train. Not good customer service. I think the departure boards at Sydenham, Forest Hill, Honor Oak Park etc are actually owned by Southern. One would think it easy to shortern the name so it appears on one line, but its probably worth emailing Southern, Overground etc.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Given that the new destinations route is only a week old I daresay allowance is being made for people who rely on the information being where it is most needed at the time of need ..... at least until a service has bedded in and customers become au fait.

Mmmmmmmmmm - deletion :|
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

Southern still provide the data and station announcements for London Overground stations south of New Cross Gate as part of a contract.

Best to complain to London Overground, who may instruct Southern to abbreviate Islington like on the boards from Surrey Quays up to H&I to bring the 2nd and 3rd trains back.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

I think you'll find that guidelines on the provision of information set by ATOC (The Association of Train Operating Companies) prohibit things like abbreviations, which could make the information shown unclear.

Have you noticed how the familiar term "engineering work" is "improvement work" on announcements, posters and screens these days?
michael

Post by michael »

The destination will be abbreviated on the information boards, see http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.ph ... 1#pid33991
But it has to go through a series of requests for such a major change to be implemented on the railways. Highbury and Islington is apparently already abbreviated on the central section, so no reason it cannot be done on the Southern indicator boards.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

rbmartin wrote:Southern still provide the data and station announcements for London Overground stations south of New Cross Gate as part of a contract.
LOROL, from a thread on se23.com wrote:You’ll be pleased to hear that we’ve already set in motion all the actions to change the CIS displays as outlined by you. This has to go via Southern to the system operator, Amey, so there may be a delay but hopefully it won't take too long.
Then I'm sure Southern will make the necessary changes to all infrastructure and Amey to all software.....once LOROL have paid Southern and Southern have paid Amey to do all this work.....to fulfil a contract which is unlikely to get renewed - because if LOROL have the capability to run their own displays and use their own screens at their other stations, I can't see them paying Southern to do it indefinitely.

So, in short, check the larger screens when you enter Sydenham station....
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

All sorted now.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Yes, and I understand from a reliable source that the maintenance to the station display systems that this change required brought the information screens throughout the whole of Southern to a grinding halt yesterday morning for about 2hrs....