New “shop” on Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

New “shop” on Sydenham Road

Post by simon »

Looks as if the Mountain of Fire Minstry is opening a branch at 177 Sydenham Road, previously the home of the short lived Phoenix Air Tours. I’m surprised that change of use from retail was given but I suppose it is better than an empty shop.
Eagle

Re: New “shop” on Sydenham Road

Post by Eagle »

What the hell is The Mountain of Fire Mistry ???? , sorry Minstry ( find it hard that a Government Dept would set up offices in SE26 , thought they were moving government jobs out of London )
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Looks to be a Pentecostal church of Nigerian origin - see http://www.mountainoffire.org/home/index.htm
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Robin

Seems rather a strange name. Most of these churches tend to cause major parking problems. You would imagine the devout would walk to church , but does not seem to happen.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I wonder what this actually means?

Mission & Vision
"To build an aggressive end-time army for the Lord. MFM is an end-time church where we build an aggressive end-time army for the Lord. "
http://www.mountainoffire.org/about/mfmtoday.htm
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

You would imagine the devout would walk to church , but does not seem to happen.
You're always going on about this, 'Eagle' - or am I confusing you with Brian who posts on the SE23 site and seems to have remarkably similar views to you on most topics? (Are you perhaps related?) You must be thinking of orthodox Jews, who are are I believe not allowed to drive on the Sabbath and therefore walk to synagogue. So far as I know, no Christian denomination has a similar rule applying to their services, on Sunday or any other day.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Robin Orton wrote:You're always going on about this, 'Eagle' - or am I confusing you with Brian who posts on the SE23 site and seems to have remarkably similar views to you on most topics? (Are you perhaps related?)
HA HA!! Busted, 'Breagle'. Good spot, Fr Orton.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 17 Jul 2011 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

mummycat wrote:You know BBW - I always presumed they were the same!
I rumbled the crafty old rascal many a moon ago, Mummycat. It was his "pounds GDP" that betrayed him. But I like the guy; and he certainly knows how to put a cat amongst the pigeons. Although I can never be sure whether or not it's intentional. And whenever I come across one of his posts, I can't help but think of a cross between the easily flustered art critic, Brian Sewell, and Britain's deadliest farmer, Tony Martin. He used to have me in stitches when he used to provoke some of the more easily offended quarry over on se23.com.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think I'd prefer an empty shop. Especially when I read stuff like this, some of which I find rather worrying:

VISION AND MISSION STATEMENT
The following are the goals and aims of the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, as handed to the General Overseer.
To propagate the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ all over the world.
To promote the revival of Apostolic signs, wonders and miracles.
To bring together children of God who are lost in dead churches.
To train believers in the art and science of spiritual warfare; thus making them an aggressive and victorious army for the Lord.
To train believers to receive Holy Ghost baptism and fire as well as a daily walk and relationship with the Holy Spirit.
To turn the joy of our enemies to sorrow. That is why we would always have a deliverance ministry wherever we are. If you do not believe in deliverance, you are not supposed to be in MFM.
To build an aggressive end-time army for the Lord. MFM is an end-time church where we build an aggressive end-time army for the Lord. WHAT IS AN END-TIME CHURCH?
An end-time church: is a church where a sinner enters with two options. He either repents or does not come back, contrary to the present day Church where sinners are comfortable and find things so easy and convenient.
To deliver those who have become slaves to Pastors, Prophets and Apostles.
To build up heavenly-bound and aggressive Christians. The priority in MFM is for people to make heaven. It is not a worldly Church.
To build up prayer eagles.
To purify the Pentecostal dirtiness of this age.

Have they actually applied for change of use? Anyone know what it will be used for? I think it would be wise for anyone connected with planning to have a word with them to ensure that planning laws are upheld, but that goes for any local business as Lewisham are not good at communicating with local business owners and certainly not good at letting owners know about planning laws!.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Here here / hear hear Lee.

Who the he** would want some fervent 'mountain of fire' in its midst, regardless of who else opposes it (or doesn't)?

It makes me titter btw BBW that someone accused of (or myself being accused of) posting in another frock should be castigating someone like Eagle for a similar presumption. ..... which is not to say I can understand why someone would bovver with posting in more than one ID ..... it entails going to a second/third place to post after all .... given that forum hosts can see IPAs on every post.

Back to topic ... we're supposedly a secular nation.
Should we do more than hide behind the door when the JWs (etc) knock on doors on their way up the street ...... like ban 'em (or say 'do it but keep it behind closed doors' ..... as wife/partner swappers do)?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Hill Dweller wrote:It makes me titter btw BBW that someone accused of (or myself being accused of) posting in another frock should be castigating someone like Eagle for a similar presumption. ..... which is not to say I can understand why someone would bovver with posting in more than one ID ..... it entails going to a second/third place to post after all .... given that forum hosts can see IPAs on every post.
I'm sorry, but that made very little sense. Could you be a bit clearer, please?
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

None of us can really know that a poster is an.other
We all speak/post English, within the limitations of the written word.

However, what's for me to get in to a tussle with you about?

i'm posting as HD here simply because I did so in EDF (where I did so for heaven knows what reason and, as you know, was suspected of being you - unless there's another wolf-type).

I've previously posted for years - here there and everywhere - always/constantly in one other ID.

It's negotialble .... does one need to use the same boring /odd/pointless ID everywhere or just regard IDs as the varied tags for varied places?

More than one ID on one forum is one thing ..... fiffer differing ones on fiffering differing forums is somefink else xxx
DigitalFX

Post by DigitalFX »

I agree to keep it an empty shop.. What on earth is happening to what was once a great high street.!!!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Hill Dweller - many people post here and on SE23.com. I do under the same user name, but many people do so under different names, not for any suspected nefarious reasons, but just because they like too. It is natural when you notice close similarities between two posters on the different forums to wonder if it is the same person. All that happened above was good natured speculation about two long standing posters on each forum who have expressed similar views in similar tones. I suppose that's what happened to you on EDF. None of us here suspected you of lupine qualities. The denizens of the EDF may be less perceptive.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
michael

Post by michael »

There have not been any recent planning application for change of use to D1 for a place of worship. So I assume that this small shop will not be holding services, but will be administration purposes only.

If the site is to be used as a church (something which it is quite unsuitable for, judging purely from the outside), then planning permission should be sought in advance. Unfortunately there have been some instances of churches conducting services in unsuitable premises, without planning permission. I can only suggest that if this does occur that action is taken by local residents through the council immediately, so as to prevent any undue disruption to people living above or close to the site.

And before BBW starts calling me names, I would like to make it clear that I would oppose any religious institution running regular services without proper permission and due consideration of the effect on neighbours.

One thing that does seem appropriate is the name. I like the idea of the Mountain of Fire Minstry being set up from the ashes of Phoenix Air Tours.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Thank you for calling us to order, Michael. I was going to apologize for inadvertently providing naughty people with the opportunity to go off-topic. But I'd like to say - strictly en passant, of course - that in my view people should be encouraged to use their real names in posting on this sort of local forum. I do this and, I assume, others do too, including you (you're like royalty, you don't need a surname!), Lee Newham and Dr Ruby (or Romola? I'm guessing here) Dunlop. It seems more neighbourly, somehow.

However, as 'Admin' (I think of her as 'Lily') will no doubt remind us, all that would be for another thread. To return to this one, there does seem to be in this forum a certain prejudice against Pentecostal churches. Obviously they should respect planning law and obviously there are potential problems about parking and, perhaps, noise. But the fact that they use rather extravagant language on their websites should not surely be held against when considering whether or not we should welcome them to the High Street? In my view, they add a nice bit of colour and diversity. Go to Peckham High Street, where every other shopfront seems to be an African church. That's the sort of vibrancy we should be aspiring to here, surely?
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

by rshdunlop » 28 Feb 2011 07:46

Ah, I'd missed the good naturedness!!

I'd also not scrutinised what's in the link from Robin but just re-peeked and watched the video at top right :lol: da dahhhhhh

I hope this 'ministry' or group of ministries (when it decides what to call itself) gets no permission. Perhaps we need hoardings on empty premises ...... 'No religious nutters of any persuasion need apply'.

I especially hope that by calling itself a 'Christian' sect this one won't receive the approval that others wouldn't; it's obviously just a label to be used.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hi Folks
Well I am certainly very impressed by all the interest in me and a possible relation or double on se23.com.
You mean someone else has the same views as good old me , even better. I know there are 100's out there.
Getting back to the issue no problem with the church as long as its activities do not disturb the neighbours . Being God Fearing people I am sure they would be very considerate to their neighbours.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I find Peckham High Street Depressing rather than Vibrant. I'm not sure it's something to aspire to! I often go to a photographers there.

As for the ministry, I'm sure that it's probably just an office having walked past it this morning. I'm not sure how else you are supposed to judge something other than how thew represent themselves. Surely language is a primary form of communication still and a church using terms like "build an aggressive end-time army for the Lord" is a cause for concern? Or am I missing something?

I find any religion using words like 'aggressive' rather worrying. Mind you, I find any religion that actually believing the old testament to be a factual record of actual events to be worrying! Most priests and vicars I have met don't believe that, but that they are metaphors. But that's another debate!