Closure of Sydenham Hill Community Hall?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
NatashaM

Closure of Sydenham Hill Community Hall?

Post by NatashaM »

I heard yesterday that the council are closing down Sydenham Hill Community Hall and stopping the childrens' activities (rhyme time and baby gym) that take place there.

Does anyone have any more information about this?
leenewham

Re: Closure of Sydenham Hill Community Hall?

Post by leenewham »

Blimey, Sydenham is being hit hard! No idea on this.

Would Cllr Chris best like to comment? i think it might be a good idea to comment rather than allow this to fester and unthuths to form (as they can).
simon

Post by simon »

Someone could ask at the Sydenham Assembly tonight.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Well I asked at the Assembly yesterday and Chris didn't know but they took my email address and hopefully I'll hear soon. Another person present (who attends a group there) had also been told that the hall was shutting down.

I'll let you know as soon as I have a response from the Council.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Ok, I finally spoke to someone at Surestart who knows what's going on.

It seems that the hall is owned by a private company and leased by either Surestart or Lewisham Council directly, I'm not clear on that point. They pay £14,500 per annum for the lease and because of the reduced budget they can't afford to continue past the end of the financial year.

The last Baby Gym will be on the 30th March.

The Playbus that takes the Baby Gym equipment around will continue to serve the other locations, only Sydenham has been cut. I asked if I was able to find an alternative venue (possibly a church hall) in the area to host baby gym on Wednesday mornings they'd consider continuing the service. The person I spoke to said that they wouldn't rule that out.

Surestart are having a consultation meeting also on 30th March at 10am at 109a Randlesdown Road about the future of childrens' services. I plan to attend.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

It's absolutely shameful that the 'govt' have allocated increased funds for Sure Start but not ringfenced them.

How dare they try earning brownie points for increasing when all it actually boils down to is a 'do with it what you wish' amount :evil:

NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

I have started a Facebook page to share info about it - it's called "Save Sydenham Baby Gym" - would be great if people could 'like' it. Thank you.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

What's a "baby gym"? Genuinely interested....is it s gym where mums/dads can go and bring their babies?

surely you're not putting under 1s on treadmills!?!?!? :shock: :wink:
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Tskkk .... it's a safe climbing and exploring place. Non-slip surfaces and padded mats, I've got some funny pics from my days back and forth :D

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Hill Dweller wrote:Tskkk .... it's a safe climbing and exploring place. Non-slip surfaces and padded mats, I've got some funny pics from my days back and forth :D

The Hall is now fully closed and boarded up.
Bobbins

Post by Bobbins »

Unfortunately it now seems that it's being lived in by squatters.

They had been in a few weeks ago, then I noticed they left and the boarding-up was improved, 'security' signs on doors and new locks put on doors. However within days people were back living there. We now we see several of people coming and going from inside and rubbish is building up on the flat roof section.