New bakery in Kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
caseyref

New bakery in Kirkdale

Post by caseyref »

I noticed when walking past Tesco tonight that next to Perfucare there is a new Bakery opening.

I purely noticed by chance of looking up and noticing the sign. The website was on the sign - http://labonnebakery.com/

I am really looking forward to this shop if it is a nice bakery as Slatters quite a walk away for a loaf or cake.

I am glad we finally have nice & convenient shops opening in Kirkdale!
Checkmate

Re: New bakery in Kirkdale

Post by Checkmate »

I'll be passing this onto Mrs Checkmate who works close to where they are opening.

From the website they look to be more of a cake shop than a bakers, like the one that's right next to Greggs in Penge.

Very interesting!
DanW

Post by DanW »

Great to see another shop I would want to use opening on this stretch of Kirkdale (rather than a chicken shop!). Look forward to trying it out.
parker

Post by parker »

Their website seems to suggest that the owners think they are located in South West London *SW26* as opposed to SE26! :shock:
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Ooops yes! Errors about that on 'Contact' and bottom of 'About' tab pages :oops:
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Now that's some good news for this neck of the woods.
I'll definitely be popping in for a lightsaber (french stick) or two!
multisync

Post by multisync »

When is this shop expected to open ?
TheSerge60

Post by TheSerge60 »

Thats brilliant. Just what we need at the top end of Sydenham.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

I saw two men breaking the lock on the door to the shop a couple of days ago...

I'd been looking forward to this place opening for ages, I hope it's not over before it's even begun.
jotbot

Post by jotbot »

As far as I am aware they were waiting for two key machines to be delivered from France and this has delayed the opening, they had hoped to be open in time for our Mad Hatters Easter Event. So the opening should be soon.... I cant wait - they seem very pleasant to speak to.
adrian

Post by adrian »

They have a sign up saying they are open today.

Very excited about this (being of partly French extraction myself) but sadly won't be able to make it today. Reports welcome.

It has always amazed me that good quality bread/pastry baked on premises is such a rarity in this country, so to have a real French-style local operation setting up here is beyond expectations.

With any luck this will really enhance the foodie appeal of Sydenham. All we need now is a good deli/cheese shop (in the new Greyhound development?). Sadly (from my selfish perspective) it is a bit far from Billings (and my house) but is well placed to entice those who might go to Lordship Lane creating a foodie trail leading into Sydenham.
marymck

Post by marymck »

yea! Thanks for the news, Adrian. Just in time for lunch!
jotbot

Post by jotbot »

Just eating a very tasty baguette! :D
jotbot

Post by jotbot »

and demoilshed a cookie! Gym tonight I think.
adrian

Post by adrian »

We got a baguette and croissants yesterday. The croissants were great - very authentic. The baguette was good as well - the smell and texture of real hand made bread though (if I am to be slightly critical) not quite matching the best I've had in France in terms of very crispy crust and fluffy open-textured inside but each batch will be different.

There wasn't much left by the time we got there so will look forward to seeing the whole range on offer on weekend mornings. I hope there will be some different styles of bread (maybe some less white/processed flour type baguettes which are now popular in France) and some of the classic patisseries. It's a great thing to have in the neighbourhood.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I had some lovely little shortbread stars and moons. Also a lovely chausson au pomme (a sort of apple turnover, with a lovely glazed top). Actually I there was an "s" missing on the label and I misread it as "chanson au pomme". I think an apple song sounds much more delicious than an apple pie.

Tempted to edit my post of the three "lovely"s ... but I won't, because it really was lovely. There you go ... four of them!
mkoala

Post by mkoala »

Recently had a slice of the chocolate tart from the new bakery - which was quite large and very yummy.

Today we tried some rye bread - which was very light and great with bacon this morning.

Apparently they only just opened last week so I think they are still testing the waters - apparently they are going to start baking sour dough loafs - can't wait.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Got three loaves in there this morning along with a danish and four croisants. Loaves in freezer now along with the croisants. Just gobbled the danish.

I'll be a regular even though I've taken to making my own bread 2 or 3 times a month.

I find myself backing away from Sainsbury's delivery and shopping at local stores more, inspired as I've been by the quality of product and service at Billings. And now the lovely bakery. Will endeavour to get my fruit and veg from the local grocery stores weekly too.

I have to say that even though Sainsbury's delivery is handy, shopping the local stores feels so much better and affords a more intimate relationship with the neighbourhood. I'm all for supporting the local economy and feel better for doing so. Sainsbury's will now be relegated to back-up status for this family.

Go local, people! It's fun and it supports local businesses.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I was up there this morning, so bought a loaf - can't wait now to sample it when I get home!
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

See the recent Guardian article below which is right on point Re Paultreacy's post.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ommunities

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image