Daniel Morgan Murder

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Re: Daniel Morgan Murder

Post by ALIB »

OK, apart from the glaring inaccuracies, factual errors, and blatant omissions it was a really well written article by The Sun.

I wonder if Daniel Morgan's family could pursue this in the civil courts, a bit like the OJ SImpson case ?
Defendents being proclaimed innocent due to 'legal technicalities' always seems a bit of a cop-out to me.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Panorama scored a bit of an own-goal last night. Apparently one of the detectives they accused of illegal news-gathering (Jonathan Rees), has previously worked as an inquiry agent for Panorama.

According to The Sun (News International) , Jonanthan Rees has a previous conviction for perverting justice.

You can't believe anyone these days
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Well we've had the opposite Alib, people being proclaimed guilty because of faked evidence and dying in prison because of that.
sean

Post by sean »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And the allegedly now retired and living in Spain corrupt officer who was also involved in the Stephen Lawrence case is named here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 77653.html

It must be ten years ago I first met Daniel's brother Alastair. His fantastical story of what was going on and cover up after cover up was unbelievable. I, to my shame, labelled him as paranoid and printed only stuff that I could check out elsewhere. In other words very little at the time.

But ten years on and many revelations later I now know him to be telling the truth and, if anything, understating it. He did so at personal risk. You don't need to be black to be threatened. So kudos to him and to Doreen Lawrence for not giving up on corruption. Not just of individuals but of a corrupt system reaching to the top. A betrayal of us all and especially of those that join the police to do good.

Don't forget the Andy Coulson/NoW connection ... Google the Grauniad to complete the triangle.

Admin
mosy

Post by mosy »

admin wrote:...[clip] Not just of individuals but of a corrupt system reaching to the top. A betrayal of us all and especially of those that join the police to do good...[clip]...
Admin
I'd forgotten where we are on the police investigating themselves, so found this IPCC overview on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independen ... Commission

It was 1997 when LA Confidential introduced Rollo Tomasi, so some17+ years ago. Although a fictional character (even in the film) it sometimes seems he's still alive and kicking - so for how much longer? The most discouraging thing to me isn't that the police (as a body) get away with lies and smear campaigns that go way beyond "spinning", more that they try to and think they will succeed, even today. Hopefully not tomorrow...

I agree that such currently must be a disincentive to good honest cops - and would-be ones.
pip

Post by pip »

It is the 27th Aniversary of Daniel Morgans murder today. My thoughts today are with his family.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are interested in this case I suggest you catch tonight's BBC London News around 10.25pm on iPlayer.

It was dominated by a report on Boris making a financial offer to the family which they have rejected. It also highlights that the Mayor's man on the job knows less about this case than we do. I find that absolutely horrifying. YMMV.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BBC did a 30 minute programme on the Daniel Morgan case tonight. Do take the chance to catch it on iPlayer
(The Report, Radio 4, 20:00, 22/05/2014).

It does miss out a whole chunk of equally damning stuff because it could be seen as prejudicial to one of the leading players in another high level corruption case in court at the moment.

This is a stink that extends from Sydenham Road to Downing Street. It really is unbelievable and credit to the current Home Secretary for confronting a service yesterday that still will not accept the consequences of what happened.

Admin
art4

Post by art4 »

My apologies to have posted on another subject instead should have left this post as the headline.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Looks like the News Of The World (our 'free' press a.k.a. stupid rag of rubbish), a.k.a. the Sun on Sunday (the same and still a stupid rag of rubbish) has been at it again with the Daniel Morgan Murder:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28314696
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

so murky this affair ....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It was the 28th anniversary of the murder yesterday. BBC Radio 4's Today programme ran a piece on it and the new investigation calling for witnesses. You can hear it here: https://sydenham.org.uk/new-appeal-for- ... witnesses/

Admin
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

@alastairmorgan - Daniel's brother - would like everyone to tweet copies of his open letter to @rupertmurdoch
The work of the Daniel Morgan Independent Panel is almost entirely dependent on disclosure and I am appealing to you today – on the 28th anniversary of my brother’s murder – to ensure that News Corporation discloses all relevant material in confidence to the Panel.

Daniel’s murder, the police corruption and the ensuing years of failed investigations have been agony for the whole family. Daniel’s children have grown up without a father and my mother is now 86 years old. We need to know the truth about what happened to Daniel and why. You are in a unique position to help us finally lay Daniel to rest.

We feel that information released should include:
 News International emails deleted in 2010, but reconstructed in 7 ‘datapools’ by the software company Stroz Freidberg, and available for search on the Nomad system;
 Any relevant News International paperwork, formerly stored at the Crown archives; and
 The results of any internal investigations, such as the interviews carried out by lawyers from Linklaters in 2011-2012.

Finally, I would also ask you to urge any of your employees or former employees who have information about the murder or activities of Southern Investigations to contact the panel.
Here is the link

https://fothom.files.wordpress.com/2015 ... rev-rb.pdf
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

In the I on Sunday there was a column article in the entertainment section regarding a soon to be released 6 part podcast presented the case, evidence etc. It stated that it would follow in line much like the very successful (and personally, very enjoyable/interesting/well presented) serial season 1 podcast. Considering the brother of the deceased was cited as a large force behind reopened and ongoing investigations and funding for this project, it isn't clear how unbiased it will be in its presentation (serial was presented as down the middle as possible with the presenter giving all facts of the case and information investigated herself over the course of a year without siding or on the whole giving any real opinion on the case/people in question).

Anyways, remember this being on the forum and thought to those interested in the case or general unsolved mysteries/real-life crime stuff I'd post a summary of article and highlight the upcoming podcast (I assume you an google it to find).

Jon
stuart

Post by stuart »

Daniel Morgan murder suspects named in court 30 years after killing
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... er-killing

Stuart
stuart

Post by stuart »

stuart

Post by stuart »

And yet another ... the final episode?

THREE men who were charged with the murder of a private investigator have been awarded a total of £414,000 damages after winning a malicious prosecution action against the Metropolitan Police.

A High Court judge in London ruled on Wednesday that Jonathan Rees and Glenn Vian should each receive £155,000, and Garry Vian should get £104,000.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/ ... in-payout/

For those new to one of the story of the notorious Golden Lion murder, MPS & Kent police corruption and how it reached into No 10 here is a quick eresume:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Daniel_Morgan

Stuart
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

A valuable reminder that the "ends do not justify the means". Honestly believing in someone's guilt (even if true) doesn't justify the fabrication of evidence.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

stuart wrote: 1 Aug 2019 08:08 And yet another ... the final episode?
Stuart

It is right that this case of unsolved murder is remembered and discussed from time to time.

In the twenty years following Daniel Morgan's death, five police inquiries were conducted. There were allegations of corruption, drug trafficking and robbery, all being carried out by serving police.

And after(how many?)trials and an independent inquiry, it is seemingly and commonly accepted that the reams of paperwork associated with it are unmanageable and are so voluminous that they can never be read and assimilated by a single body or person.

And therefore making it impossible to conduct another meaningful investigation that will lead to the trial and conviction of the real perpetrator(s).

It is unlikely that there ever will be a final episode.