Lewisham Life is getting scarcer

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Lewisham Life is getting scarcer

Post by admin »

Lewisham Council’s magazine, Lewisham Life, will now be published four times a year instead of 10 to save the authority £100,000 a year. The Council is launching a monthly e-newsletter to keep people informed, with sign-up available via the Council’s website: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NewsAndEvents/LewishamLife/

Admin
leenewham

Re: Lewisham Life is getting scarcer

Post by leenewham »

I'd be interested to hear what people think about this.

Personally I'd have ditched the magazine completely, along with the assemblies until the financial situation improves and put all that information normally conveyed via the magazine and assemblies in the local libraries that are now being (possibly) closed. Then when finances get better I'd bring them back (if they are more than glorified ads showing photo opportunities of our mayor) or put some money behind private local magazines that are self financing and take some space up on those instead. Or perhaps use websites like this or Brockley Central to get the word out there. Lewisham have a few of different Twitter and Facebook accounts so aren't shy about using new media (spending money on) to get the word out there.

What would you do? I think it's worth discussing.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Yup - it's worth discussing.

I'm not so sure about ditching the print format Lewisham Life - for a long time, if not always, there will be many people for whom hard copy is more useful - even for me, still. But obviously cost is a consideration.

I agree about cutting out puff pieces for the Mayor. When you write
put some money behind private local magazines that are self financing
I'm not quite sure what you mean - maybe that the Council would specify some local public service requirements, which private local magazines could then put in a bid for - in the same way that contractors for park services bid for a defined period contract? I can imagine that would work - and it wouldn't stop the Mayor's staff trying to get pieces about him in such publications, just as they can now try to get positive coverage of him in the Newsshopper and South London Press. It wouldn't exactly make such magazines 'self financing' if they relied on council money in this way, but I think I could live with it.

Yes - definitely use web sites such as this and Brockley Central. Some of us are working on this, as you, Lee, already know. But it takes a fair bit of cultural change in the Council. As argued previously on this Forum, I think Forums are still the best place for discussion and argument, so although Twitter and Facebook should also be part of the mix, they will not be everything.

Re libraries - yes, I think they too can be part justified as part of a general Council 'communications strategy', because premises such as libraries are where expert staff can be based who can help citizens - in particular those without access to the web - to learn more about what the Council and other local service providers do, and also get feed back from such citizens.

I don't agree totally with you on Assemblies. Having read the 'Local Assemblies Implementation Plan' a couple of years ago - http://www.lund.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... 0Guide.doc I upset some Council officers with an email on the subject which ended with this YouTube link - still a great bit of pop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESy-Z8vqMrE. But I meant the 'start again' bit, because I think the basic idea of quarterly meetings where Councillors and officers come face to face with citizens is well worthwhile.
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

I've also voted for Lewisham Life to be less frequent as production costs come out of our council tax and mostly we play 'count the pictures of the mayor' while scanning it for useful information. I do however agree with Tim that there are lots of Lewisham residents who don't have the option/ luxury of hopping online to find local information.
In terms of 'private local magazines', one is Families South East, which is funded by advertising and includes lots of local info. The editor is very supportive of local businesses through the editorial and the magazine is free from libraries, cafes, bookshops, childrenswear shops etc and online at www.familiesse.co.uk.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »