London Fire Brigade website

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

London Fire Brigade website

Post by maestro »

The LFB have launched a new website which will report all incidents in the area that they attend.

For example.....

Upper Sydenham – roof fire

24 May 2011

Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters attended a fire in a two storey house on Sydenham Hill in Upper Sydenham, yesterday.

Part of the house roof was damaged by fire.

The Brigade was called at 1128 and the fire was under control at 1233. Fire crews from Forest Hill, Clapham, Lewisham and West Norwood stations were in attendance.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/index.asp
Savvy

Re: London Fire Brigade website

Post by Savvy »

..... and I'm interested because ?? Really; if I had a house fire who would want to know ? Who's business is ? This is about gaining sympathy, but it will backfire - all those engines. I don't think the general public will understand the need, then there'll be more time needed to EXPLAIN to the public WHY. And then there'll be a need for MORE information and MORE statistics...
Just get on with the job, its information overload as far as I'm concerned.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Indeed Savvy. I don't see the point and these statistics will just generate more questions from people that don't necessarily understand how the organisations work.

That said, publishing the number calls may go some way to demonstrate how busy the emergency services are - and aid in managing expectations. I have no idea how many calls the LFB and LAS receive but I know the Met always has more than 10,000 CADs* in a 24 hour period.

*CAD = computer aided dispatch - one log is generated per call.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

The MPS need to publicise the alternative to 999 for "non-urgent" calls more widely.
Or change it to something memorable. There has been a successful pilot in the Midlands of using the number 101.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I've heard on the grapevine that 101 will be introduced from the summer. The current number or 0300 123 1212 is easy to remember though I find.

Either way it won't effect the number of CADs that go on.