SAYING YES TO THE MOSAIC ON THE NABORHOOD CENTRE?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: SAYING YES TO THE MOSAIC ON THE NABORHOOD CENTRE?

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin Orton wrote:I went to the AGM of the mosaic project this morning. Good turn out and a very positive discussion. I remain convinced that this project has a lot to offer our local community.
Was this a public meeting? How many actually constitute a 'good turn out'? Were accounts presented? Is there a constitution?
Robin Orton wrote:We were shown pictures of the already completed roundels and preliminary mock-ups of all but one of the planned ones. The one still being thought about is hoped to be something reflecting modern Sydenham's social and cultural diversity - local schools have been asked to come up with some ideas about how best to do this.

As I understand it, the total cost is estimated to be about £50,000 of which about £35,000 has now been raised. Various fund raising events (including carol singing at Christmas) are being planned.
This sounds remarkably similar to the figures given earlier in this thread, which didn't add up then, and are unlikely to add up now.
Robin Orton wrote:I made the point at the meeting that I thought the project would benefit by having a rather more accessible presence on the web. I think the problem may be a lack of the necessary expertise amongs the organizers. But if anyone wants to help in any way, and doesn't know how to get in touch with the organizers, please PM me.

Members of the committee earlier this year are now in the public domain, and contact details for three of them can be found on the SydSoc website.
Robin Orton wrote:(I am a 'supporter' but am not on the committee.)
Why the scare quotes? Do you also have reservations?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I cannot answer Lee's detailed questions, except to say that I do not believe that the timetable for doing the necessary preliminary work on the Naborhood Centre and actually installing the mosaic has yet been decided. Obviously it will largely depend on the progress of fund raising.

In answer to Tim, yes, the project has a constitution, but I do not have a copy. I put quotes round 'supporters' because it seemed to be being used at the meeting as a sort of technical term. Whether it is defined in the constitution and, if so, how, I do not know, but I guess it means roughly anyone who has expressed their active support and has indicated that they want to be involved in the project, and who is thereby entitled to attend the AGM, in order to hear progress reports, ask questions, and to (re) elect the officers and committee. In other words, what would be called 'members' if one were talking about a club.

There were about twenty people at the meeting yesterday. The committee is, I think, as in the July document which Tim refers to, plus Judy Hodgett who was elected treasurer.
poppy

Post by poppy »

The thought of this mosaic and the money and time wasted on it depresses me. :(