Tree down on Sydenham Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Tree down on Sydenham Hill

Post by ALIB »

i feel like a roving reporter with my camera at the ready.

at around 7.45am Sydenham Hill was closed at the Kirkdale end and shut off around Well Park Road.

Workers were cutting away with chain saws at 9am, so it should be cleared in another couple of hours. I enjoyed the tranquility

Last edited by ALIB on 21 Jun 2011 08:24, edited 2 times in total.
Robin Orton

Re: Tree down on Sydenham Hill

Post by Robin Orton »

My wife spoke to a woman this morning who said she had warned Dulwich Estates some time ago that this particular tree looked to be in a dangerous condition. Nothing appears to have been done. She hoped the the Estates would be asked to meet the costs of removing it now!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

it did cross my mind that a Dulwich estate/Southwark tree was incurring costs on Sydenham for its removal.
To my knowledge there have been 3 reasonably large trees fallen within the last three years in Sydenham Woods. in between this, 2 tree surveys have been conducted.

I find it staggering that , whoever owns these trees, seems to be so neglectful in monitoring of their condition.
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

As mentioned this tree has fallen from the small amount of the land in the woods that belongs to the Dulwich Estate. Perhaps the estate would finally like to donate this land to Sydenham Woods as clearly they would never be able to build on it. If they were to do that the trees could be managed properly - clearly this tree has been allowed to deteriorate to this dangerous degree.

In terms of the cost of cleanup, Dulwich Estate are always keen to charge their tenants for work such as this. Hopefully the Council will be sending the bill for this over to them....
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Ahh, that explains the extra traffic on Kirkdale this morning.
I thought the 356 had changed to double deckers...(didn't spot the big sign saying 363 and Crystal Palace).
Nobody hurt I hope.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

sydenhamhillandy raises some excellent points. Perhaps the Dulwich estate are hoping all the trees will fall down so they can then build on the land.
Strong local opposition from residents and nature-lovers has been the major obstacle to the woods being built on.
Can i also add that i know for a fact the previous London Wildlife officer had spoken to the Dulwich Etate about action that needed to be taken in the woods to preserve the habitat. Dulwich Estates chose to ignore the advice, even when the LW officer provided a detailed action plan and method statement. There is a new LW Officer, but i don't know if she has approached Dulwich Estates.

The neglect of the woodland is staggering. If it were not for LW volunteers attending on a fortnightly basis, the woods would slip into decline much more rapidly (IMO)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

IF the tree came down as a result of the acts or omissions of the owners (the Dulwich Estate in this case) then I would be interested to know if they have committed an offence - this could have had very serious consequences for anyone unfortunate enough to have been walking or driving past when the tree fell.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely this is the nanny state again. When walking past a wooded area occasionally trees come down. This is nature.

Did Robin Hood sue King John if a tree fell down in Sherwood. Why must we always look for someone to blame . Sometimes things just happen......
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Robin Hood was (supposedly) an outlaw, Eagle. Besides, King John was half French, thus rendering him an inherently feckless, bone-idle deviant, too consumed by his quest of self-indulgance to oversee the removal of a tree obstructing the King's highway. Typical of that sort, I'm afraid.

In any case, I think eyebrows are remaining raised over this so as not to encourage further complacency on behalf of the Dulwich Estate and how it manages the impact its property has on the general public/plebs.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

because this one came down overnight in Cox's Walk in March 2009. This could have given someone a very large headache. It destroyed the sections of metal railings it landed on.

ALIB

Post by ALIB »

and this one was just off Cox's Walk, on Lapse Wood Walk, September 2009. There was also another tree fall in the Dulwich Estate Woods last year of similar size.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

What's the dog's name?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

In the olden days the locals would not have complained if fire wood had fallen from the Lord of The Manor's estate , they would have used it.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Very true Eagle. I took some of the wood from the tree fall in March. It is a lovely cross-section of the trunk which i intend to make a small garden coffee table from. Lovely piece of wood.

The two factors that i think are of concern are:
1) Obviously the potential hazard. The tree fall earlier this week exhibited that point quite well.
2) Are the woodlands being neglected ? Obviously a tree has to die at some point, but what about surveying them and filing their approximates ages and conditions. Do they need to be coppiced or have diseased limbs removed ?

The dog is Phoebe. She was a large Great Dane until the big tree landed on her in March.
Is now a Pug
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Unless I am much mistaken the inference seems to be that the Estate should pay for any damage.
Surely an act of God. No doubt even these vultures ( where there is a blame there is a gain ) solicitors cannot sue The Almighty.

I would imagine The Shire Reeve would have sorted out these problems in the good old days. Would imagine not so many benefit scroungers in those times.

I recall about 8 years ago when I had a broken wrist I was stopped in Catford giving me details to make a claim.
I refused, I did trip over a hole in the road but I should have been looking where I was going. Probably saved LBC thousands.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I think Phoebe may know Charlie. He is a white and tan Jack Russell/King Charles spaniel cross. My wife Morwenna walks with him in Sydenham Hill Woods most weekday mornings.