Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

coll
Posts: 186
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 15:55
Location: sydenham

Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by coll » 29 Jun 2011 12:11

:D I was very excited today to see that the butcher is now open in Billings.
Best of luck to them! :D

maturin
Posts: 67
Joined: 28 Apr 2006 09:19
Location: Sydders...

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by maturin » 29 Jun 2011 17:12

Just been in today. Excellent choice. Bought some lovely belly pork.

Julsb
Posts: 98
Joined: 6 Mar 2005 18:16
Location: Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by Julsb » 29 Jun 2011 21:29

Hurrah!

girl_canuck
Posts: 56
Joined: 3 Feb 2009 14:24
Location: Sydenham!

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by girl_canuck » 2 Jul 2011 20:07

We bought some steak yesterday and had steak frites for dinner. Crikey was it good. We've been living as part time vegetarians because it's impossible to find decent meat around here, but not anymore!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mosy
Posts: 3936
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by mosy » 2 Jul 2011 22:08

Well, it's not impossible to find decent meat here and not too far away either.

Not sure if Billings have shot themselves in the foot given it's been successful as a wet fish shop for a year(?) and now one is greeted by a wall of meat smell on entering. Granted the strong smell of fish previously wouldn't have suited some people.

I eat pescetarian so don't eat meat. Billings yesterday had a huge selection of meat which I heard said to another customer was all fresh each day. Can that really be true of meat given much is kept in chillers. Wanting to buy some meat (for another) they didn't "seem" to have what I wanted (or at least not on display) so bought it elsewhere. Billings has a surprisingly large selection of meats so deffo worth a looksee and hopefully meat eaters will consider them.

Suzee
Posts: 195
Joined: 7 Jul 2006 12:42
Location: Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by Suzee » 3 Jul 2011 17:21

It's a great addition to a brilliant shop.... and I personally have never noticed any strong smells, fish or otherwise ;-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott.l.hamilton
Posts: 120
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 11:51
Location: SE26

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by scott.l.hamilton » 3 Jul 2011 18:29

I love the fishmonger and I love a butcher. But said, would prefer a buthcer next to a fishmonger, not the same in one small shop where you mix cutting boards knives etc....

I will still use them, do not get me wrong, just would prefer 2 separate that would have larger choice and specialise. my opinion, that's all.

fletchjason
Posts: 1
Joined: 4 Jul 2011 10:45
Location: Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by fletchjason » 4 Jul 2011 10:48

We went on saturday and pick up some fantastic ribs, steak and lamb. I really hope the locals support these guys as the quality of the meat was fantastic. Melt in the mouth steak!

G-Man
Posts: 611
Joined: 24 Jul 2008 09:30
Location: SE26

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by G-Man » 4 Jul 2011 11:16

scott.l.hamilton wrote:I love the fishmonger and I love a butcher. But said, would prefer a buthcer next to a fishmonger, not the same in one small shop where you mix cutting boards knives etc....

I will still use them, do not get me wrong, just would prefer 2 separate that would have larger choice and specialise. my opinion, that's all.
I think you'll find that the preparation areas are completely separate and the knives used are different. That is basic kitchen hygiene so to open a shop it needs to be ever so slightly above that :wink:

Anyway, had some great belly of pork, bacon and ham from their. Good advice on how to cook certain cuts too.

Good luck to em.

G-Man

poppy
Posts: 574
Joined: 1 Sep 2007 20:03
Location: Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by poppy » 5 Jul 2011 17:05

They seem to be completely separate Scott.

Fish counter down one end, near the window, butcher at another counter at the back of the shop.

Bought sausages and rashers from there and my family really enjoyed them.

We wish them all the best. :D

bigbadwolf
Posts: 726
Joined: 7 Jan 2008 21:21
Location: Forest Hill and Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by bigbadwolf » 5 Jul 2011 17:17

Am I the only member of this forum who hasn't been gripped by Billings 'fever'? Seriously, it's just a fishmonger for God's sake. What's with all the (occasionally dubious) hysteria? Do the proprietors offer concessions in return for endorsement, or what?

Don't hesitate to contact me privately if you want to avoid any unnecessary condemnation.

leenewham
Posts: 5886
Joined: 2 Sep 2007 11:58
Location: SYDENHAM
Contact:

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by leenewham » 5 Jul 2011 18:29

bigbadwolf wrote:it's just a fishmonger for God's sake.
Actually you are wrong. They are also a butcher.

bigbadwolf
Posts: 726
Joined: 7 Jan 2008 21:21
Location: Forest Hill and Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by bigbadwolf » 5 Jul 2011 18:34

leenewham wrote:
bigbadwolf wrote:it's just a fishmonger for God's sake.
Actually you are wrong. They are also a butcher.
Butcher, baker or candlestick maker, they are also just a shop - however rare a service they provide. I just don't buy into the all the recurring enthusiasm.

leenewham
Posts: 5886
Joined: 2 Sep 2007 11:58
Location: SYDENHAM
Contact:

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by leenewham » 5 Jul 2011 19:32

No, you can get candles in Mustis, although I have no idea where they are made. There is a good bakers in Kirkdale and of course the cake shop.

Billings only sell Fish and Meat...Oh and eggs.

Besides the pedantic, what's wrong with promoting a good local business? Isn't it good to be positive about something local BBW? Do you dislike Billings? Good product, nice guy, good service and even a decent shop front. They were even in the South London Press. They must be doing something right. Infact Billings appears to be a remarkable local business.

Talking of promoting local things, new post and pictures about Home Park's fun day from last Sunday coming soon.

bigbadwolf
Posts: 726
Joined: 7 Jan 2008 21:21
Location: Forest Hill and Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by bigbadwolf » 5 Jul 2011 19:52

leenewham wrote:Besides the pedantic, what's wrong with promoting a good local business?
Pedanty aside, nothing at all.
leenewham wrote:Isn't it good to be positive about something local BBW?
Yes, within reason.
leenewham wrote:Do you dislike Billings?
I hold no animosity towards Billings or its proprietors. I'm even willing to admit that I've never even stepped foot inside the shop. I just thought all the initial hype would've had a shelf life, and I'm slightly perplexed as to why it hasn't died out or down. That's all.

Tim Lund
Posts: 6688
Joined: 13 Mar 2008 18:10
Location: Silverdale

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by Tim Lund » 6 Jul 2011 07:42

bigbadwolf wrote:
leenewham wrote:Isn't it good to be positive about something local BBW?
Yes, within reason.
leenewham wrote:Do you dislike Billings?
I hold no animosity towards Billings or its proprietors. I'm even willing to admit that I've never even stepped foot inside the shop. I just thought all the initial hype would've had a shelf life, and I'm slightly perplexed as to why it hasn't died out or down. That's all.
Let's be positive about your cynicism, BBW, but only within reason. The problem is that you like the cynical pose, but sometimes when asked to justify it, you run away - as in this recent post - failing to back it up with reasoning. And here again, you have nothing to say on the matter other than a knee-jerk aversion to what you probably see as our local chattering classes. Cynicism isn't such a bad thing if it prompts you to go asking awkward questions, and coming up with answers which deserve to be known. But you're firing blanks here.

bigbadwolf
Posts: 726
Joined: 7 Jan 2008 21:21
Location: Forest Hill and Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by bigbadwolf » 6 Jul 2011 08:39

Tim, I fully understand that you enjoy using the textlink function, but in this instance your enthusiasm has got the better of you. I know you're trying to subtly bait me, but I'm afraid I'm impervious to such obvious antagonism. If you actually read back through the comments I've witten on this thread, you'll see that I've actually remained quited measured and objective. I've clearly outlined the reasons for arousing my suspicion - which I've even hinted at perhaps being unwarranted. I was just a bit mystified as to why all these recurring Billing threads keep appearing.

G-Man
Posts: 611
Joined: 24 Jul 2008 09:30
Location: SE26

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by G-Man » 6 Jul 2011 08:54

[/quote]
I hold no animosity towards Billings or its proprietors. I'm even willing to admit that I've never even stepped foot inside the shop. I just thought all the initial hype would've had a shelf life, and I'm slightly perplexed as to why it hasn't died out or down. That's all.[/quote]

Well, if you've never been in you wouldn't know why people are saying it's such a good addition to our high street, therefore you have no reason to complain about people saying they like it. If you had been in and thought it was rubbish or even average then you would have every right.

Also, in case you didn't notice, previous posts were about the fish shop, it is now also a butchers, therefore people are commenting about the butchers and it being a good addition to the high street, very different subjects.

Anyway...you should go in, see what you think, we'd be interested to know.

G-Man

bigbadwolf
Posts: 726
Joined: 7 Jan 2008 21:21
Location: Forest Hill and Sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by bigbadwolf » 6 Jul 2011 09:01

G-Man wrote:Well, if you've never been in you wouldn't know why people are saying it's such a good addition to our high street, therefore you have no reason to complain about people saying they like it. If you had been in and thought it was rubbish or even average then you would have every right.
Hi, G-Man.

In case you hadn't noticed, I've already conceded that my scepticism may be unwarranted. Even I can admit when I'm wrong. I suppose I'll just have to wait until I've actually been inside before I choose whether or not to give Billings both barrels. Though I hasten to add that aesthetically (even a non-attendee can comment on that, right?) it is indeed a welcome addition to an otherwise grubby highstreet. Better than yet another tat emporium, eh.

sydenhamboy
Posts: 264
Joined: 8 Oct 2006 10:33
Location: sydenham

Re: Billings Fishmonger and NOW BUTCHER!

Post by sydenhamboy » 12 Jul 2011 19:27

Bloody great place. Very impressed. Just what the highstreet needs. Knowledgeable butcher and superb meat. Love the fact that the excellent sausages and burgers homemade on site. All very borough market. And the fish section was great anyway. The space is plenty big enough. Well done the boys at Billings and let's all support it.

Post Reply