News of the World & Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Re: News of the World & Sydenham

Post by ALIB »

Oooh, here's something that's happened today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-18262740

innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff prevents me from making my own comments.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

AC's house is on the market as well...
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Manwithaview1 wrote:AC's house is on the market as well...
I bet he can't handle the curtain twitchers, finger pointing and tongue wagging.

Blair said "When the press decide to come after you they are relentless."

Funny, the Police are like that as well.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

stuart

Post by stuart »

Tim Lund wrote:SOCA asset recovery?
Ahem, isn't it AC who should be asking for his money back?

Stuart
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Andy Coulson now formally charged with perjury. I have to admit I thought AC was made of teflon. I wonder if anything else is going to come back to haunt him ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-18262740
sean

Sydenham murder and News International link?

Post by sean »

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/t ... 44616.html

One of Britain’s most powerful policemen was put under surveillance by private detectives commissioned by the News of the World.

Lord Stevens, who led Scotland Yard between 2000 and 2005, was spied on by Southern Investigations, a firm of private investigators linked to one of London’s most notorious unsolved murders.

Its co-founder Jonathan Rees claims the now-defunct Sunday tabloid hired his company to watch Britain’s most powerful policeman in 1999. He said Southern Investigations (SI) received a tip that the then-deputy commissioner was using taxpayer funds to fly a Metropolitan police plane to Northumbria to see a mistress. There is no suggestion the tip-off had any foundation. 

Haslam’s undercover work began in 1997 when he was asked to infiltrate SI to gather evidence on Rees, who was a suspect in the murder of Daniel Morgan, the firm’s co-founder, who was found with an axe embedded in his skull in a south London pub car park in 1987. He claims one of SI’s main clients was former NoW executive editor Alex Marunchak whose name was “constantly mentioned” inside the firm.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
simon

Re: Sydenham murder and News International link?

Post by simon »

There's a thread relating to all things NI and Daniel Morgan here :http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6402

Perhaps merge this interesting link with that mods?

Thanks Sean

-------
Done - Admin
simon

Post by simon »

A very interesting development on the back of yesterday's story: Rees is now also calling for a judicial inquiry; to clear his name. He is blaming the original police investigation, which was led by Sid Fillery.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/pr ... 52507.html

Also of timely interest is that the Morgan family is represented by Raju Bhatt, who was also a member of the Independent Hillsborough Panel.

After sitting on this for 13 months, Theresa May can probably expect a question in the House soon. Standard says she's under "growing pressure". The Home Office says: "We are carefully considering next steps.”
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Whilst understanding there are outstanding questions , I think some of us are to quick to call for long and very expensive enquiries.
The judges and others sitting on these enquiries cost a fortune.

Sometimes may be we have to say . It has happened
simon

Post by simon »

Eagle, a man was murdered in the car park of a local pub. There have been five trials at tremendous expense; the last collappsed because some evidence went missing, while a judge in a previous trial said that there had been police corruption. Are you really suggesting that justice should be secondary to cost issues? A man is murdered, there is police corruption and you say; "lets move on, we've spent enough already"? I always thought you were in favour of law and order and justice. On one thread you call for a harsh punishment for an armed robber, on another you suggest we let off murderers as to prosecute them migh costs too much. How much do you think should be the limit on the costs of prosecuting those who killed those two policewomen yesterday?
stuart

Post by stuart »

simon wrote:A very interesting development on the back of yesterday's story: Rees is now also calling for a judicial inquiry; to clear his name. He is blaming the original police investigation, which was led by Sid Fillery.
... who he later appointed as his fellow co-director of Southern Investigations?

You couldn't make this up. His conviction was not for cuddling kittens. Google if you want to be aware of this gentleman's reputation. A reputation that, surely, would be very difficult to blacken further, notwithstanding the other criminal investigations he has been associated with.

Stuart

PS AFAIR Sid did not lead the investigation. He was part of it and responsible for gathering evidence from Southern Investigation's offices
simon

Post by simon »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19799329

Interesting development yesterday with the arrest of Rees and Marunchak. I think that is the first time Marunchak has been arrested.
While you could say the arrests are in relation to a case unrelated to the murder of Daniel Morgan, I think that perhaps they are.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There is quite a lot of discussion and a campaign running on Twitter, especially in the light of the Hillsborough review. Search the hash tag #DanielMorgan

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
simon

Post by simon »