STOLEN MAIL

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: STOLEN MAIL

Post by Eagle »

Yes Claudia you seem also to not be 100% PC.

Re Speaking English when living here. I recall a Bengali lady on TV last year commenting due to the cuts the authority was stopping free English lessons. Then she admitted been here for 30 years. I could not believe it.

Of course one should learn English quickly at your expense if you intend to settle in this country. Before I get the standard reply about Briton's on the Costa's , I also think no excuse at all for them not to Spanish.

I believe there is a case being considered at present of an Indian lady who is a UK citizen who wants to bring her hubby in who cannot speak English and would make no attempt to learn. She complains that they would like to live together. Easy answer she could return to India.
No doubt her appeal on legal aid which WE have to pay. I do think Legal Aid sgould not be handed out in immigration cases. The Immigration officer decision should be final.
maestro

Post by maestro »

"Hundreds of staff at the huge new Olympic shopping mall had to be taught to read and write after bosses found they could not even fill in basic forms."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... r-write.do

It's not a problem unique to the Royal Mail then. :shock:
michael

Post by michael »

Nor is it a problem unique to immigrants. Standards of English and numeracy in this country are far from adequate as indicated in the article referenced.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If they came through our education systen it is a national disgrace.

If they are foreign they should learn at their time and expense.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

I agree. Why should the Welsh & Scots not have to pay their full tution fee whack like the English?

Level playing fields please.

PP
mosy

Post by mosy »

Just catching up and perhaps I'm missing something. If the post office is supposedly offering a service (and the cost of postage isn't cheap) then it is for them to provide the service they are purportedly offering. It's not for me to say one way or the other how they achieve their advertised
service. If such service is not being achieved, then I guess moaning on here won't help. Has anyone complained? Some above posts seem just to be chewing the fat.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy you have a point but that also appies to many items raised on this site. People like to air their views.
Not sure complaining to The Royal Mail will do much good.

Posts seem to range from postpeople who cannot speak English , to lovely Claudia who seems proud she is personally responsible for banning a fellow member from the site.

Totally confusing.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thankfully I have only had the wrong mail delivered to me on rare occasions,and being the decent person I am I have delivered it to the correct house myself,perhaps what is happening is the letters etc are going to the wrong premises and the person has not bothered to re-direct the item.

As for Claudia-well-I think shes a Troll,just pops up to try and upset us.
personally speaking I think you should be able to carry out the job you are employed to do,if that means you need to speak/read/write English then so be it-or how far can we go-----Doctors who can't Doctor! Bus Drivers who can't Drive! it all gets ridiculous doesn't it.

HI Claudia! :lol:
mosy

Post by mosy »

Not sure complaining to The Royal Mail will do much good
I'm not convinced it does that much good either, since one is just given a form to fill in. However, if all those aggrieved fill out said form (or follow whatever complaint procedure), it's more likely that they'll both become more aware that the service is lacking and hopefully will take notice and do something about it. The bosses at the sorting office could be living in blissful ignorance if peeps don't complain.

It is pretty impossible via phone or email I reckon so unfortunately it does mean a trip to Forest Hill sorting office, which is easy by car but less easy depending where in Sydenham one is located if on foot. If mail is going astray, people really should take a stand methinks.

I took a stand on recorded delivery (as I mentioned) and simply decided it wasn't worth the paper it was written on, but that is very different from ordinary mail going astray.