Vicious Dog Attack Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Re: Vicious Dog Attack Sydenham Road

Post by stuart »

It is a shame they did away with the dog licence.

These days it could be enforced with a RFID tag and compulsory third party insurance. So the market decides what dogs are dangerous and charges an appropriate premium. Dodgy dog, huge premium - quite a deterrant. Oh - no licence, dog confiscated/destroyed plus a grand fine. The DVLA is the model here. And if anything goes wrong the victim will at least get financial compensation.

Seems so obvious that there must be a flaw ...

Stuart
davegr

Post by davegr »

Annie wrote:
davegr wrote:
Annie wrote:" Hence ALL DOGS SHOULD BE MUZZLED! I state my case.

Annie, you can't tar all dogs with the same brush. The vast majority are harmless, friendly chappies that just want a biscuit and a tummy rub ( and I certainly include the much maligned staffie here).

I do think that all dogs should be on leads unless in designated excercise areas. This seems to work in other countries and ensures that the dogs can be controlled without resorting to muzzling.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I have seen the results of a "friendly dog" my brother as a small child ran up to a dog and hugged it,this dog was well known as a good dog in the area all the children loved it,it used to sit outside the bookies whilst the owner was placing his bet,the dog responded to my 4 yr old brothers hug by biting him above the eye, he was lucky it only left a smallish scar,little did we know this dog had a growth on his neck,

I don't hate dogs, we were brought up with dogs all our lives, but I think to be able to control the few? bad ones ,that something has to be done,if that means putting a muzzle on all dogs in public places then thats what should be done,have designated areas in the park for the dogs to exercise and play, but each time i hear of some poor child losing half their face/or worse i just think something has to be done,dramatic as it may sound.
dickp

Post by dickp »

There is this concept called risk - you may have heard of it. Risk assessments allow us to evaluate possible harm, and decide whether the benefits of a particular activity outweigh the dangers.

There is a remote possibility that my dog will go nuts and maul a child. But he almost certainly wont. But, worst case scenario - there is a health service to treat injured children, and dog insurance to recompense them for any harm I could cause them, short of their actual death.

There is a remote possibility that I will injure someone with my car, next time I drive. But I almost certainly won't. But, worst case scenario - there is a health service to treat injured people, and car insurance to recompense them for any harm I could cause, short of their actual death.

There is a remote chance that I will get stabbed if I leave my house. But, worst case scenario - there is a health service to treat me, and critical injury insurance in case I need it.

And so on...
davegr

Post by davegr »

Excellent reply
Annie

Post by Annie »

Theres also prevention is better than cure! :roll:
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Annie wrote:Theres also prevention is better than cure! :roll:
The Government can't regulate all risk out of life. You have to balance freedom, safety and cost (both financial and other costs i.e. inconvenience). The main reason people protest against intrusive "nanny state" regulation is that it impedes personal freedom. Regulation has to be proportionate to the risk it is intended to address.

You'll always have the arguments around the edges of these questions. is it proportionate to require all cyclists to wear helmets to prevent brain damage (probably yes)? Is it proportionate to ban all school trips to avoid risk of accidents or kids wandering off? Perhaps we should ban all extreme sports to stop the injuries associated with it? Would it be proportionate to muzzle all dogs in order to mitigate against the risk that a dog may bite a child? Perhaps its proportionate in your opinion because you don't own or like dogs. But that simply means that you're not objectively considering all the factors in the balance I described above.
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Let's try and keep some perspective here. I didn't like going to the high street when the tattooed man was without a dog because he and his cronies were up there drinking. The trophy dangerous dog is just an extension of this kind of behavior. Muzzling the family pooch is not what is required. We need zero tolerance towards all forms of anti social behaviour. Maybe I'll even be comfortable bringing my kids to the high street some day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
dickp

Post by dickp »

You also have to be aware of risk displacement. Some dogs really do need a great deal of exercise to ensure good behavior at home.

The advantage of ball playing is that it is very efficient. An owner can stand still, but in a few minutes, their dog might have run several kilometres. A happy, tired dog will never bite its owner. A stressed out one who cannot burn off their energy properly might just do so.

Campervantim

Post by Campervantim »

Unfortunately uncrontrolled dogs can either be a danger to others or an extreme nuisance, mainly through the fault of their owners. There is the issue of so-called dangerous dogs (although in reality almost any dog can be dangerous), but also dogs left to play in public places unsupervised and those allowed / encouraged to use public places as toilets.

Personally I do not want any child or other person attacked by an out of control dog nor do I want to be prevented from playing with my son in Baxters Fields because of dogshit getting on our shoes, football, cricket ball etc. Nor do I want a large but reputedly friendly dog bounding around out of control. To the dog and it's owner, they are being friendly but to a young child from their perspective it is a huge beast towering over them with sharp teeth. It can be terrifying for them.

The fault lies with the owners and I believe that they need to be held accountable for ther dogs behaviour. Licensing of dogs and heavy fines for misdemeanours are a must. And failing to clean up your dogs faeces punsihable by being made to clean it up with your bare hands.

Annie

Post by Annie »

JulietP-----I never said I didn't like dogs,

To stop any further attacks on children,by either dogs owned by irrisponsible idiots or homely old ladies, I think in public places dogs should be muzzled. My opinion-My choice not to own a dog.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I would also add dogs should always be on the lead whilst in a public place. Amazing how many are not.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Is there really no Dog Licencing? I've only been here in Britain 5 years and although a doggy person all my life, I won't consider owning one while I live in a flat.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do agree 100% that dogs should not be owned by flat owners unless on the ground floor. Cannot understand why anyone would not agree with me ( which in itself a bit unusual )

Usedto be a dog license . I think it was 7/6d so all I can tell you it was withdrawn prior to D Day.
Trouble is the good citizens would get one , the others could not give a d.......
Annie

Post by Annie »

BBC

BBC News Health

Health
Education
Sci/Environment
Technology
Entertainment & Arts

11 August 2011 Last updated at 11:01