Vicious Dog Attack Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
RoyalTraining

Vicious Dog Attack Sydenham Road

Post by RoyalTraining »

Just yesterday a well known Staffordshire bull terrier ran riot in Sydenham high street, mauling a dog passing on the other side of the road.

At about 19.30 last night unleashed and uncollared, the staff made a beeline for the dog on the other side of the road (on a lead), biting the unexpecting dogs face. Causing considerable damage to the head and eyes. The walker who does not want to be named, fought for ten minutes to stop the attack and prise the dogs apart. The owner of the staff did not do anything to prevent the attack or to stop the attack. If it wasn't for the fact the dog that was attacked was also a strong dog (shar pei X staff) I believe if the dog was a smaller breed it would have been killed.
"It was horrific. But the public were absolutely great, I just want to thank them all for their help," the walker said

I have personally seen this dog attack other dogs when passing in the street.
After tracking the owner down who didn't have the dog during the attack the owner then explained " The dog was mad, and had already killed 3 cats in the last few weeks and that he should muzzle him really"

After the attack, the injured dog was taken to the Foxgrove Veterinary Surgery, where he was treated for deep puncture wounds around the head and damage to the eye.

We are desperately seeking advice from anybody who has had a similar experience and how it was dealt with both criminally and civilly. We have reported the matter to police, and RSPCA who are investigating.

Our vets bills have reached over £300 with more to come. We do have insurance but I have concerns it will not cover the full amount. I am certain the dog could easily attack another dog or even worse a child.
Eagle

Re: Vicious Dog Attack Sydenham Road

Post by Eagle »

Who deals with dangerous dogs and dangerous owners. Is it the Police or the Council
Whoever you should immediately report . Maybe there have been other reports and they know where the owner lives.
Annie

Post by Annie »

All dogs should be muzzled when out in public places.End of!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree 100%.
Problem is the owners of dodgy dogs have zero respect for the law. If questioned would sipmly say, dog aint nothing to do with me innit.

Great idea Anne but enforcing it not easy. These dogs are substitute to carrying a knife or gun.
Annie

Post by Annie »

When I was walking out of sainsburys the other day,there was a staff walking unleashed along side its owner,the dog and owner looked menacing,and it occured to me where was he going to leave his dog while he went in to shop?
I see dogs off leads/unmuzzled as a potential weapon.
I ,and many more people I suspect stay away from dogs if possible, not everyone is a dog lover.
I think that all the time there is a potential threat that a dog might go "off on one" then they should be on a lead and muzzled to protect people's peace of mind.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Which 'well known' dog are you talking about? Are you talking about the street drinker's dog? Because I reported that to Safer Neighbourhoods last week for getting a bit lairy with tatooed face man (he was drunk, it was getting excitable)... Safer Neighbourhoods were helpfull. I also reported my concerns to the RSPCA (no response so far) and Lewisham Council (no reply from them either). You can contact all of these people easly via their respective websites and I suggest you do just that. SN said they had had other reports and were aware; please ring or email them and tell them about this incident. They can't do anything if they don't know.
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I really can't understand the point of having a controlled alcohol zone when it isn't enforced. I find that tattooed guy and his cronies (not to mention the dog) intimidating. Anyone know why it isn't enforced?
maestro

Post by maestro »

cue Bensonby.........
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

This is when you need Rick's .45
michael

Post by michael »

I was going to suggest that a puppy might make Rick feel safe on the streets of London, possibly unarmed and surrounded by all those dangerous liberals.
RoyalTraining

Post by RoyalTraining »

I have reported the case to the Police and to the RSPCA. the RSPCA are very concerned and I have had numerous calls from them throught the day.
So if anyone is missing a cat in the Sydenham area around the top of Sydenham road then please report it as it may have been a victim of this dog.
I also know where the culprit lives as I followed them home, so their address has been forwarded onto the police and RSPCA.
Thank you for all the support and messages
RoyalTraining

Post by RoyalTraining »

I disagree that ALL dogs should be muzzled, and I dislike the sterotyping on particular breeds and sizesI have two large dogs that are always under control, always well behaved and always on the lead.

Both of my dogs are stupidly soft and human friendly and animal friendly. We currently live with 7 kittens and they have never shown any aggression to any. I have witnessed this kind of attack numerous occasions from smaller breeds on larger breeds but because they are not thought of to be dangerous then reports havent been filed.

If people looked at reports I think they would find the smaller 'cute' breeds do more attacks, but are not reported on as much as the 'staffs' as when staffs fight back they do more damage.
The dog that was attacked was large, and well built and only because of that is alive.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

michael wrote:I was going to suggest that a puppy might make Rick feel safe on the streets of London, possibly unarmed and surrounded by all those dangerous liberals.
:lol: ROFL
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

It's a real shame folks. I have lived here for 10 years and have watched this and similar subjects being discussed on the forum but nothing improves. I simply avoid bringing my young kids to the high street if I can avoid it. It's immensely frustrating.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Post by stuart »

The police have taken action in Sydenham against the owners of banned breeds. Its always difficult deciding whether a dangerous dog is one of these but if the police can act they have a record of doing so.

Make sure the Neighbourhood Team are aware.

Stuart
Annie

Post by Annie »

" I have witnessed this kind of attack numerous occasions from smaller breeds on larger breeds but because they are not thought of to be dangerous then reports havent been filed.
If people looked at reports I think they would find the smaller 'cute' breeds do more attacks, but are not reported on as much as the 'staffs' as when staffs fight back they do more damage.
The dog that was attacked was large, and well built and only because of that is alive."
RoyalTraining

Hence ALL DOGS SHOULD BE MUZZLED! I state my case.
dickp

Post by dickp »

And how, pray tell, could a muzzled dog play ball, stick or frizbee in the park? Perhaps i could stick velcro on my dogs head, so he could pick up a ball with his head?

Playtime is an important part of many dogs day. It help them let off steam, and facilitates good behavior at home. And, for dogs, playtime normally involves catching something in your open mouth.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
davegr

Post by davegr »

Annie wrote:" Hence ALL DOGS SHOULD BE MUZZLED! I state my case.

Ludicrous. :roll:

Some teenagers were involved in rioting the other week and will be sent to prison. Your logic dictates that all teenagers should be sent prison because of the behaviour of a few....Hang on-maybe that's not such a bad idea.
Annie

Post by Annie »

davegr wrote:
Annie wrote:" Hence ALL DOGS SHOULD BE MUZZLED! I state my case.

Ludicrous. :roll:

Some teenagers were involved in rioting the other week and will be sent to prison. Your logic dictates that all teenagers should be sent prison because of the behaviour of a few....Hang on-maybe that's not such a bad idea.
Good idea, :)

Why should some poor child lose its face or worse so your dog can play ball?
Perhaps there could be cordoned off parts in the park to allow dogs "freedom without a muzzle"
I don't doubt that your dog is the best behaved dog in the world and would never do anything like bite a childs face off! but why should anyone take that chance?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Ann
Good idea but the trouble is the minority of dog owners ( crimanls and chavs ) will do what they like and the Police have not got the person power to round them all up and put them down.