RUBBISH OUTSIDE SYDENHAM KEBAB

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GLOBAL THINKER

RUBBISH OUTSIDE SYDENHAM KEBAB

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Am I being overly sensitive or is the rubbish outside Sydenham Kebab a health hazard? Or maybe it's just another one of Lewisham Councils ways
to say "Welcome to Sydenham - It could be a great place to live"

Every morning I walk by and the smell is incredible. One of the most fustrating things about living in Sydenham is seeing the untapped potential for small traders and the community to come together and create a place that people want to move into. By having crappy facades to shops and rubbish on the streets we are giving out a message that we don't care about our environment and that customers and making money are not a concern for businesses.

How about limiting the amount of takeaways and £1 shops and how about a decent welcoming pub, a few more funky shops and eateries. All I see when I walk through Sydenham is a town centre that has lost its soul, its heartbreaking :(
sydenham Don

Post by sydenham Don »

i agree GT, the general scum and rubbish needs to be sorted out - I used to live in Holloway, Junction Road, and I thought that was bad, but Sydenham road is just the same. I was walking to the station just near the ladbrookes / Newlands park junction a few weeks back, to be confronted with a huge dead rat on the pavement...

Sydenham road needs more frequent refuse collection full stop. :x
fuzzy logic

I am in total agreement ......

Post by fuzzy logic »

Thank you !! It's not only me then.

Why is it that when my friends visit Sydenham I feel as though I have to run along and get to my flat before they can comment on the high street. There is nothing to be proud of along the high street ............ oh no .... I forgot we could go and do a tour of the one pound shops then go and get stared at in one of the lovely pubs ?!

Somebody please sort it out ...... I want to have a spring in my step when I step off the train ..... " This is Sydenham and I am proud to live here !"

A half decent pub and a deli would be a start. East Dulwich and CP stride further and further ahead.

Let's attract people to SE26.
Rebecca

Re: I am in total agreement ......

Post by Rebecca »

[quote="fuzzy logic"]There is nothing to be proud of along the high street ............ oh no .... I forgot we could go and do a tour of the one pound shops then go and get stared at in one of the lovely pubs ?![/quote]

Maybe you should move to another area! :roll:
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Having recently moved down the road from Crystal Palace to Sydenham (in order to find affordable property), I do certainly miss the restaurants cafes etc in that area.

However, as I keep reminding myself, if we had all those things in Sydenham I wouldn't be able to afford to live here - can't have your cake and eat it too!

It will probably be years before the delis start to arrive, but we do at least have a few good shops (Kirkdale books, DIY shop, Healthfood shop, a number of convenience shops which have a good range of fruit and veg, flower stall). Am I also right in thinking we have a butchers and a bakers?

Hold out until 2010 when the East London Line Extension arrives (maybe), there will probably be an influx of Canary Wharf workers and we'll all be moaning about where the proper shops went!

Not saying I don't moan about Sydenham too but trying to look for the silver lining here...

And we do need some decent pubs!
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Sydenham Don & Weeble - aren't you regular posters on Virtual Norwood? I am as well...
Really pleased to see this forum has been set up as I was starting to wonder if anyone was interested in anything other than CP!!!
I totally agree with you Weeble. I think give it time and Sydenham will get its fair share of delis and bars (although thinking about it - Im not sure that's such a good thing!). There are plenty of people moving to Sydenham since surrounding areas got stupidly expensive, so its only a matter of time before more shops, restaurants etc start springing up.
xxx
fuzzy logic

Post by fuzzy logic »

I have just moved to a new property in Sydenham !! I am staying put.

All I am trying to say is that it would be nice to be able to have a good pint and a bite to eat in nice surroundings after doing my shopping along my high street.

I shouldn't have to hop on a bus to do this.

I know I can't have my cake and eat it but if any of you have been to the Horniman museum and seen the old photo's of Sydenham it put's modern day SE26 to shame.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

[quote="sydenham Don"]. I was walking to the station just near the ladbrookes / Newlands park junction a few weeks back, to be confronted with a huge dead rat on the pavement...

[/quote]

I saw that rat too, it was a monster
Sandie

Post by Sandie »

Hello Global Thinker
Well, look around - it's not just in the High Street, it's anywhere where there is a shop throughout Lewisham. Have you read my post on the pink refuse sacks. Leaving the refuse out all night and day will attract vermin.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

[quote="Rebecca"]Sydenham Don & Weeble - aren't you regular posters on Virtual Norwood? I am as well...
[/quote]

Yes, I am Weeble on VN! Let me guess...Becky2??

- also glad that we have somewhere to discuss and find out things about Sydenham. I've learnt so much about the (wider) local area on VN, hope will pick up some knowledge about my neck of the woods here!