Hallowe'en in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Hallowe'en in Sydenham

Post by Robin Orton »

I was interested to see a notice in the newsagents this morning saying that the Safer Neigbourhoods Team have asked local shopkeepers not to sell eggs and flour to young people during the run-up to Hallowe'en. My impression is that the behaviour of local 'trick and treaters' has in any case improved somewhat over recent years. Let's hope that this year the nuisance and anxiety inspired by this tedious and pointless American import is reduced even further.
Tim Lund

Re: Hallowe'en in Sydenham

Post by Tim Lund »

I saw something from the Perry Vale Safer Neighbourhood team about this too, and wondered if it was the best thing to be doing. I used, like Robin, to resent trick 'n' treating as an annoying US import, but American work colleagues have looked at me as if I was mad when I've criticised it. For the vast majority of trick-or-treaters, it's clearly great fun, and they are well supervised by parents. So notices from any part of the police which can be seen as anti-Hallowe'en might in fact seem anti-young people, which would be unfortunate.
BingBong

Re: Hallowe'en in Sydenham

Post by BingBong »

Better that the children do something fun, and safe. On Thursday, there'll be a soft play truck at Sainsbury's at Bell Green from 1.30-6pm and it's free. Also there are Halloween kids' activity listings on the Families website here: http://bit.ly/vNYetT