Antenna & heavily wooded hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Greg Whitehead

Antenna & heavily wooded hill

Post by Greg Whitehead »

On the journey home as we leave L.Bridge, off to the right (almost to the 2o'clock if that makes sense) in the distance I see a very raised and heavily wooded area with a large antenna (a few miles off, no more)

I wondered if this was our very own Sydenham Hill and CP antenna?

I know the line goes round in a loop and perhaps it's a matter of orientation but I can't think of where else it'd be.

If indeed it is 'us' then not only are we very close to town but we look awfully high.

Anyone confirm or deny. I'll try to take a picture if I can. I've been doing this journey for 5 years...

Odd one I know.
randomv

Post by randomv »

Greg, not sure which one you mean? I thought there were 3 antennae with the CP transmitter being the most prominent and, from memory, in the middle?
I always wondered what the other ones were..I think there is one to the west of Crystal Palace that's very lit up at night?
I love the fact that I can see the antenna as soon as the train leaves London Bridge - makes it feel like i'm nearly home sooner!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I'll have to get the 'photo. I think it could be us, if the front of the train's 12 then at 2 o'clock there's a TV mast, maybe 3 miles away. I do think it's the CP mast as I often feel as if we go around the hill given that once we pass Millwall Football Club we seem to keep on a sharp right hand bend all the way home.

I know I'm not making sense - let me take the 'photo.

Does anyone know where the masts can be found, ideally plotted on a map?
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Could it be the aerial somewhere behind Hornimans Museum, I think Taymount Rise?????????

If I recall this used to be a very small aerial now it seems enormous
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I have the camera today and my compass (very sad) but watch this space !
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Greg Whitehead wrote:I have the camera today and my compass (very sad) but watch this space !
I suppose Google Earth would tell us :D
Unfortunately I have not got the time to look at the moment :cry:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I just have (lunchtime). I'm pretty sure it is us. If I could screengrab GoogleEarth I would just to show. Still going to take picture though.

It's heavily wooded, very, very high with a large TV mast...Sydenham Hill part of 'the ridge' then?

I think the one you refer to randomv may be the one on Shooters Hill another very high part of London?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I'm sure you are looking at the range of hills from Forest Hill to the Crystal Palace and beyond. There is a mast on Horniman Drive, then a dip to London Road (sometimes you can spot the Horniman museum tower), then at the end of Sydenham Hill is Crystal Palace mast and beyond that at the junction of Church Road and South Norwood Hill is the Anerley mast. I do a lot of walking round south London, and use those features to navigate - they can be quite reassuring when spotted from the remoter parts of Greenwich and Croydon
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26718677@N00/249190210/

Not sure if you can access this. I am pretty certain the CP antenna is right on the western edge of this photo (I know it's blurry but the 18.25 goes at quite a lick) and it seems far away (it's just my rubbish camera)

This is just as we pass the 'New Den' it is over to the right at 1 or 2 o'clock. So this is the CP antenna and the south Norwood antenna?

If so my do we do a huge loop! The building slightly obscuring the south Norwood antenna must be the large estate which is in private owners hands on Underhill/Overhill road in ED?
leaf

Post by leaf »

it certainly looks like cp tower to me?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

You're right, Greg. On the extreme left is the CP mast, and the Norwood mast is partially obscured by Dawsons Heights.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

CP mast was always easier to spot before Crown Castle changed the white flashing strobes to static red lamps, like all the other masts.

By daylight, remember it's the one with the broader base.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

It was just one of those odd things...

Still can't work out where the third mast on Horniman Drive is - this is the small one you can see when we pull into Forest Hill station? Up behind some flats?

Can see the other 2 clear as day on Google Earth but but not the FH one.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Got it !! It's directly opposite where Liphook Crescent meets Horniman Drive. :P
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Greg Whitehead wrote:Got it !! It's directly opposite where Liphook Crescent meets Horniman Drive. :P
So I was correct then :D
I think this aerial has got taller especially during the last 12 months
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

You were correct The Eagle.

Perhaps it has genuinely gotten taller as they've added mobile phone dishes to it? It's hard to spot on GoogleEarth if you don't know exactly where it is!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Greg Whitehead wrote:You were correct The Eagle.

Perhaps it has genuinely gotten taller as they've added mobile phone dishes to it? It's hard to spot on GoogleEarth if you don't know exactly where it is!
Maybe the picture on Google Earth was taken before they increased the height of it?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I agree. I just checked and GoogleEarth still has the old Wembley stadium. On that basis we must be viewing pictures at least 5 years old ?!

I really despise Google. If you want to search info then Wikipedia is the best - Google just tries to flog you sh*t from it's sponsored searches and that my friends will be the death of it, mark my words.