Sainsbury's Stench

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
danstevens

Sainsbury's Stench

Post by danstevens »

Has anyone noticed the smell of raw sewage to the left of Sainsburys in Bell Green? I'll try and explain better where i mean - if you're standing in the massive car park looking at the store front its the area that runs down the left side of the store -where the buses go up and down to turn around.

I only notice it because i cycle past it every day, just as i turn off the cycle route 21 path that runs towards the back of the store. I try and hold my breath for twenty or thirty seconds but alas am still concussed by the smell. I can't work out if its coming out of the vents that run along the bottom of the store. Its making me have second thoughts about shopping their - i now associate the place with the smell of raw sewage.

cheers

Dan.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Dan

I too cycle down the spine road towards route 21 and I've also noticed the smell you mention. Perhaps we aren't smelling sewage but some rather more unpleasant things that lie under the Bell Green site. Bell Green was, of course, the site of an old Gas Works. The soil was highly contaminated which is why no houses are allowed on the site. To contain the highly toxic remains the whole area was capped with a huge plastic cover. Maybe we're smelling the results of one hundred years of gas making finding its way to the surface. I know its a long way up the spine road on a bike but hold your breath until you pass this spot!