How to dispose of old TV?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

How to dispose of old TV?

Post by mosy »

I'm wondering if the council has a plan to collect several old TVs at once, on a special day(s) or from a designated collection point, in the run-up to digital switchover. I have a memory that electric/electronics are supposed to be taken to a tip miles away, which I guess ain't gonna happen for some (fly tippers) so what's the plan generally? Does anyone know if there is one?

Ta.
Rachael

Re: How to dispose of old TV?

Post by Rachael »

I seem to remember there was a day last year for taking old electricals to designated drop-off points around the borough rather than schlepping to the depot in New Cross. Maybe they will do something similar

Of course, you don't have to get rid of your old tv to watch digital. It just becomes a monitor rather than a tv. if you do upgrade, you'll find plenty of takers for your old tv on freecycle.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
goofslogan

Post by goofslogan »

Anyone getting a new TV - don't just dump (and especially don't fly-tip) old TVs etc if they're in working order. Lots of us who are struggling in these economically challenging times can't replace their TV with a new one if it stops working and the local freecycle group or local charity shops are a great place to find these types of goods if you're skint! Good for the environment and good for a sense of community/charity.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Ive got one, a Thompson, good picture. PM me if you want it.