THE OLD CURTAIN SHOP IS GOING TO BE…

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Re: THE OLD CURTAIN SHOP IS GOING TO BE…

Post by Robin Orton »

I find all this prejudice against undertakers extraordinary. It reminds me of the fuss on the SE23 forum in response to Southwark Council's proposal to extend the cemetery at Honor Oak. Dead people have needs too, you know. We can't all avail ourselves of the delights of trendy restaurants, clothes shops, galleries, cupcake shops etc (even if we wanted to). And in any case I suggest that more undertakers' premises could help to provide Sydenham Road with the reassuring solidity and gravitas which I sense it lacks at the moment.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I was going to say that I find all this prejudice against cupcake shops, trendy restaurants, clothes shops, galleries etc incredible.

But alas Robin, perhaps you are right. We need more places for dead people.

Lets make Sydenham deadbeat, not upbeat.

I see a campaign in this:

Sydenham, don't pass by… pass away.

;-)
CATLADY

Post by CATLADY »

Yes I suppose with the formation of a pocket park on Queensthorpe and therefore road the closure it will be a 'dead-end' anyway !
But seriously Robin there is already an undertakers a few doors up- why do we need another one?? And as for availing myself of trendy restaurants etc- I know plenty of my neighbours would be grateful for a few , so the need is there.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
marymck

Post by marymck »

Funeral parlours have to go somewhere and they have to go somewhere convenient for the bereaved.

I don't think they should be hidden away and may even encourage a few to stub out those cigarettes or drink a little less Thunderbird.

But, on a practical level, I don't see how it can work in this particular location. Once the pocket park is in place, vehicle movement will be restricted and difficult (hearses are pretty big beasts). There is also the question of impact on the conservation area, should changes be required to the side windows and rear of the premises. I also wonder if there aren't health and safety restrictions on having mortuaries so close to people's homes?

It also really is a shame that cafe or sandwich shop owners haven't had the foresight to see what benefits there would be in having premises adjacent to a pocket park, so I think if these rumours are true, it's a waste of the potential of the location.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In defence of Robin, I think he was being ironic (as I was). His post made me smile.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Well lets face it - we'll all be dying to get in there one day! :lol:
maestro

Post by maestro »

multisync

Post by multisync »

Would like to see comments from High Street residents. Personally I think it really makes the high street more dead than it is now.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

with the escalating knife crime in Sydenham, it would seem a logical step to increase the number of Funeral Directors.

May i suggest an appropriate business title ,..."Curtains for you" ?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Pretty poor taste, Ali, but it still made me smile ...
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Tittered too Image
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i endeavoured to try not to be offensive. Dark humour is always likely to offend someone, but it was not intentional.

Should i copyright the name before Lee Newham pinches my idea ? :D
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

ALIB wrote:i endeavoured to try not to be offensive. Dark humour is always likely to offend someone, but it was not intentional.

Should i copyright the name before Lee Newham pinches my idea ? :D
Or Clarkson, don't forget Clarkson...)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Lol. Brilliant Ali. I will steal it!