The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
thing

Post by thing »

Great News.. Can't wait for it to open.

Just what Sydenham needed.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

The scaffolding has gone up outside, so things are beginning to happen!
lynnmurr

Exciting watering holes in SE London

Post by lynnmurr »

So exciting for me to read about this new pub! Great places to eat and drink are finally moving closer and closer deep into SE London.

I will be visiting The Dolphin once its finished as I have visited the Dartmouth Arms in Forest Hill. Be great to have a place that is enjoyable almost on my doorstep - fab!

(Perhaps someone will also notice the pub next to Penge West station is also for sale and in need of some tlc. maybe one day Penge will also have a nice little watering hole of its own ?! )
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I think I noticed tradesmen on the scaffolding for the first time this morning? Perhaps they've been there all the time but progress seems to be slow?

@ Michael & Violeta: Do you perchance have some architect's drawings (internal or external) of The Dolphin to entice us with? Be nice to acutally have some information on what awaits us from you both rather than the self-serving promotion you have posted to date - which I fully understand the reasons for so please don't misconstrue the tone, we'd all do the same.
Greg Whitehead

Re: Exciting watering holes in SE London

Post by Greg Whitehead »

lynnmurr wrote:So exciting for me to read about this new pub! Great places to eat and drink are finally moving closer and closer deep into SE London.

I will be visiting The Dolphin once its finished as I have visited the Dartmouth Arms in Forest Hill. Be great to have a place that is enjoyable almost on my doorstep - fab!

(Perhaps someone will also notice the pub next to Penge West station is also for sale and in need of some tlc. maybe one day Penge will also have a nice little watering hole of its own ?! )
Hi Lynnmurr,

I think I know the one you mean. Penge West is the one with the quaint old bridge and pleasent booking hall (architecture wise)? I think if it is I know the pub you refer to (by the parking lot?) Unrelated, I must say I was wandering around Penge the other day. Thicket Road is very fine, as is the housing to be found on the unadopted roads (Plawsfield Road etc). I downloaded this walk and enjoyed it. http://www.london-footprints.co.uk/wkpengeroute.htm

I'm not sure I agree that we are deep in SE London (Zone 3 is hardly commuter belt) but I know what you mean. Penge clearly has some wealth to it (perhaps not in the same numbers as Sydenham but it's clearly there) and if I'm thinking of the same pub as you it'd do well serving the professionals who live in Penge but don't neccesarily go out there...maybe get the people coming off the train in the evening?
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 26 Oct 2006 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Greg

The station/pub you mentioned are Penge East and and the Hollywood East respectively.

Lynnmurr was describing Penge West and The Bridge House Tavern.

Both pubs are pretty average builders' watering holes; I sometimes pop in the BHT after work but not often recently as it's taken [another] nosedive in its day-to-day running. Its a big property with a lot of potential - hardly any nearby housing - would make a great live music venue as well as catching the early evening train crowd.

Penge West is being rebuilt after it was torched by neds a couple of years ago.

Penge East is good for both Victoria and Bromley connections, approx. 15 mins either way.

Back to the topic, I too am looking forward to the Dolphin's new look. I may be forced to go to the Dartmouth Arms on a reconnaissance mission in preparation. :)
lynnmurr

Post by lynnmurr »

Hi Greg
I wasn't having a go at SE London in any shape or form. After a couple of years of living in E2, give me the leafy streets of SE London any day.

Just we are in need of a few nice pubs, eateries where where can relax, eat, drink and chat in a safe environment. Like the new Dolphin is advertising.

Things can only get better as they say. Penge does have its monied people - as its one of the few places you can now get on the property ladder in this city. But that is by the by, any normal person deserves to go out and have a civilised drink in a safe clean pub/environment within walking distance of their home. :lol:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I really like Penge. I think its probably the most underrated place in London.
biscuitman1978

The Dolphin

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Hi All

I'm sure many of you will have received the recent email (28 October 2006) from Michael at The Dolphin, but if not here's the full text:
WORK BEGINS ON THE DOLPHIN
Finally the scaffolding has gone up and the builders are struggling with the appalling (if welcome) weather to try and keep on schedule. At the moment they are preparing the outside walls for painting, getting ready to repair the roof and sanding the woodwork for re-varnishing. For the outside colours we have chosen two shades of 'Jungle Drums' by Dulux to soften the classic, but extremely dull, Tudor look. We need to make an impression, show change and shake off the shocking reputation currently attached to the building.

The Dolphin is still open and currently not run by us but two charming girls, Danielle and Lorna. You may be interested to capture a before and after image. If so I highly recommend a visit before it shuts down on 6th November. They will make you feel very welcome, but I suggest you avoid weekend evenings and karaoke nights.

There are no interior drawings at all for us to work from, but our plan is simple. The layout will remain as it is, the awful toilets will be completely stripped and re-furbished, the floors will be sanded, stained and varnished, the 1930's wood panelled walls will be retained as they are, the 1980's wall dividers will be removed, the ceiling will be cleaned and repainted and all junk machinery will be thrown out. We will install a working (gas) fireplace, some large and solid tables and some appropriate lighting. The only serious job will be the bar back. This is a very nasty tongue and groove piece of modern vandalism and will be ripped out. We aren't going to try and restore the original - we don't even know what it was like - so will put in something plain, simple and functional. In other words a standard, sympathetic gastro pub conversion as employed by all of us blessed with small funds and the huge remains of a beautiful pub.

One big announcement is that we are changing the concept for our food offering. The menu will be modern European rather than the British style of The Dartmouth Arms, allowing us to serve such dishes as tajine and tempura and a wider range of ingredients including couscous, chorizo etc. More importantly we are changing the style of service. All dishes will be served in two sizes and are designed to share. You will order from the bar or at a table and the food will be served to you as it is cooked, not all at the same time. There will be table service to make your meal more enjoyable andreduce repeated queueing at the bar. We think we have hit upon the perfectidea for the Dolphin which will be more interesting, enjoyable and cheaper than originally proposed.

I am keeping the web site up to date as much as time permits and you will already see the photo gallery expanding. As I write the opening date is still scheduled for mid December.

Michael Richards
I'm looking forward to the opening!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

'Jungle Drums' is a lovely colour- I have it in my kitchen!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to say the 'old' Dolphin finally closes its doors this Sunday 5th November. Fireworks, karoke and other events to make this a wake to remember.

Does anybody else here want to meet up to meet?

Admin
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

What have you got in mind? I haven't been to the Dolphin yet, but i'd sure like to see the full before/after effect!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How about an 'Editorial Conference' starting 8pm? Sparklers mandatory ... Anybody up for it?

Admin
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Count me in.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK it is official - the first annual Sydenham Town Bonfire Night. Perhaps not yet as great as the famous massive Rotary Firework Party we had at Crystal Palace every year. But we have to start somewhere. So why not the Dolphin?

See here: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=783

Admin
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Hurrah - I'm thrilled to bits that we're finally getting the sort of pub I've been waiting for.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Here's another of Michael's recent(ish) emails (16 Nov 2006):
Opening Date
The outside is painted, the scaffolding is down and a target date for opening is set for Monday 11th December.

Progress Report
On Monday 6th November we took the keys, the builders moved inside and immediately set to ripping out and re-fitting the interior. We finally got a chance to have detailed look around to see what can be salvaged. As expected there was good and bad news. The ceiling, wall panelling and interior woodwork are generally in good condition. The TV monitor casings and wall partitions have been removed revealing little damage to the ceiling and original wood. The service bar is solid and will be retained. The awful back bar has been taken out, but sadly, all remains of the original are gone with only the outer frame still standing. The carpet is still in place protecting what we hope is a decent set of floor boards. There is a working fireplace (gas) with an original surround and we are currently searching for a period insert. The toilets have been completely rebuilt with new tiles and fittings throughout, along with stunning mosaics. The trade kitchen is in poor but working order and will be tackled next. Outside, the original oak doors are being re-hung, stripped, stained and varnished. Upstairs, the accommodationis splendid with a roof terrace, parquet flooring, an impressive period staircase and most of the original fireplaces. The beer cellar is to be completely refitted with a new cooling and dispense system. The wine list will finished by the end of the month. The outside smoking area is being prepared and a baby changing room constructed in a disused toilet. Local designers John and Lee from Honor Oak (who designed and planted our little patio at The Dartmouth Arms) came up with some fantastic ideas forthe garden from which we have chosen a splendid formal layout. Work will begin after Christmas. The chef joins us next Monday 20th. Cyril is French and originally trained in Paris. He moved to London several years ago cooking French food at Cafe de Jardin and British food at Level 7 Restaurant at Tate Modern. He also spent some time helping out at The Dartmouth Arms last year. We are very pleased to have him back. An updated menu can be seen on the web site http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com/menu.html So, things are moving along well and whilst it can be hectic at times, we are still on schedule for our opening date. Looking forward to it, as we hope are you.

A picture record of the project is being compiled at http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com/spgm-1.4/index.php

For full details on some or all of the above keep an eye on the websites.

Michael Richards
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Although the Dolphin was not the pub closest to my residence, it was the one I chose to use as my local back in the early 1970s because it was more central for use by my particular circle of friends.

I moved away from Sydenham in 1977 - so I'm glad to hear that the old place is getting a new lease of life.