Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Re: Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by ALIB »

and i took these today, now the sheeting has been removed

michael

Post by michael »

Looks like more al fresco drinking for Sydenham :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Looks like it's been restored to it's former glory circa 1942.

I like how one window still has what appear to be rather naff blinds in the window.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's a bit spooky, like houses that have been mostly demolished in some sort of natural disaster, and you still see curtains and wallpaper and what not in what is left of the building, just flapping in the breeze.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

... so does that mean you can smoke there or you can't?!! ..
Annie

Post by Annie »

sydenhamboy wrote:... so does that mean you can smoke there or you can't?!! ..

Don't see why not! theres plenty of fresh air. :)
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

After all this time, all the posts,all the effort- for what? Such a disappointment.
Annie

Post by Annie »

MartinH wrote:After all this time, all the posts,all the effort- for what? Such a disappointment.
Why disappointed?
The front looks like its staying,looks like its just been cleaned up to me,when they add the sides and roof,who knows we might just get what we wanted. :)
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

it's easy to get down-hearted after all the effort. Extension of Conservation Areas, thwarting of arsonists,...just to see the pub almost totally destroyed "for structural reasons"

Let's give the developer and the Council time to formulate a solution which may prove to be a valuable asset to the site, and surrounding area.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

ALIB wrote:it's easy to get down-hearted after all the effort. Extension of Conservation Areas, thwarting of arsonists,...just to see the pub almost totally destroyed "for structural reasons"

Let's give the developer and the Council time to formulate a solution which may prove to be a valuable asset to the site, and surrounding area.
Here here AliB. Let's see what happens. Hopefully we'll have a nice new watering hole that can be a centre for the community.

G-Man
SimonHenderson

Re: Antic have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by SimonHenderson »

Hi peeps,
Sorry for any misunderstanding caused... Antic don't have any say in the use of the building, Fi was simply saying that the license for the building was that it had to be a pub...
I don't know about any coding changes...

I wish the best for the Greyhound, but my interest is really in Antic opening in Sydenham... The Sylvan post in Forest hill is great, as is the Westow House in CP, & Jam Circus in Crofton Park... Maybe not to every bodies taste... But Antic in Sydenham, in my opinion, would be a very good thing for the continued development of the area...

(hmmm... How will my comments fan the fire of debate on the forum? A very lively bunch for sleepy old Sydenham... I look forward to sharing a pint with you all at the Greyhound or somewhere else in the near future :-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Heartily agree on Antic coming to Sydenham, love the Westow, but we like to see a smiliar pub in Sydenham.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Completely. Really hope they come to Sydenham. They know how to run a decent community focussed pub and also how to keep there beer!

G-man...wishing the negotiations would get sorted

ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i've just been informed by a friend that someone was trying to take photos of the Greyhound site yesterday through the open gates. A workman saw the photographer and shouted something along the lines of ,..."Clear off, no photos, this is a private site"

I told him i'd posted a few pictures on STF, so the condition of the site was already in the public domain

It was reiterated that all the building materials are being cleaned and stored, ready for rebuild.

That's going to cost a few shiny pennies
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

They cant prevent photos being taken from public land - snap away all you like!
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

Many listed buildings are often demolished with only the front wall left standing. As AliB says, the process of cleaning and replacing all of the original materials will probably be v costly, so I'm sure if they could have avoided this (if the building was structurally sound), they would have done so.

The Greyhound will be solid and returned to it's original state - this is a good thing. I've seen plenty of beautiful brick buildings knocked down and sucked up into ugly new housing developments, with the token front wall crudely intersected into new brick or glass facades. So the campaigning by so many locals to keep the Greyhound alive is a massive win! (As someone who has also only recently moved to se26, it was a huge attraction to the area when we were considering where to move - there aren't many communities who are so proactive). I'm sure without all of that hard work, the Greyhound would have been another shopfront.

Hopefully the Greyhound will be returned to it's former glory and some. We'll also hopefully get the Antics pub, which will be again a real feather in SE26's cap - I agree these are great pubs! (The Antic's Royal Albert in New Cross is another good eg)

DC
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Good call DC

I know I keep saying this but does anyone know who the operator is that has supposedly agreed to take on the Greyhound?

G-man

Heritage Angle

Post by Heritage Angle »

Right at last I've finnaly reached the page I need. Its a good thing this topic has rcvd so many posts. I came here tonight (well ok this a.m. now) to report this as I've only seen this a short while ago - as per the photo's in the last post (only during darkness). What we have now is but a mere veneer - a layer of about, what, 3 or 4 bricks in depth, held by scaffolding. Now this happens during demolition when a facade has been listed and must be kept intact (I know of an example in Bournemouth Triange). Not sure the fmr Greyhound is. I noted an earlier comment along the lines of 'well lets wait n see, it may turn into a pub yet and be what we want'. Ok, now call me sceptical but hard to imagin with the block built to such utterly close proximity to what was its rear wall (literally inches). Nah, foul play has occurred on this dev and to an extremely high degree. I thought it a bit imaginative when I saw the plans in the bookshop (I'm not going to plug their damn business name for free!!). I know a certain STF user and pillar of Sydenham society who is very much in the know on these matters and herby invite their comment - over to you:
Heritage Angle

Post by Heritage Angle »

Right at last I've finnaly reached the page I need. Its a good thing this topic has rcvd so many posts. I came here tonight (well ok this a.m. now) to report this as I've only seen this a short while ago - as per the photo's in the last post (only during darkness). What we have now is but a mere veneer - a layer of about, what, 3 or 4 bricks in depth, held by scaffolding. Now this happens during demolition when a facade has been listed and must be kept intact (I know of an example in Bournemouth Triangle). Not sure the fmr Greyhound is. I noted an earlier comment along the lines of 'well lets wait n see, it may turn into a pub yet and be what we want'. Ok, now call me sceptical but hard to imagin with the block built to such utterly close proximity to what was its rear wall (literally inches). Nah, foul play has occurred on this dev and to an extremely high degree. I thought it a bit imaginative when I saw the plans in the bookshop (I'm not going to plug their damn business name for free!!). I know a certain STF user and pillar of Sydenham society who is very much in the know on these matters and herby invite their comment - over to you:
biscuitman1978

Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by biscuitman1978 »

It's worth getting a few things straight:

- The listing applies to the whole building, not just the facade.

- The listing is only a local listing, which offers no specific statutory protection, although it does commit the council to using its other powers to protect the building as far as possible.

- The building's location in a conservation area means that conservation area consent is required for substantial demolition. This is one of the powers the council can use to protect the building.

- With this in mind, there was understandable concern when the rear and flank walls were demolished and roof removed without conservation area consent.

- Cllr Best subsequently advised (see http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 830#p59811) that Purelake, the developer, have been asked for an explanation of why the demolition took place, although she reports that the initial explanation was that it was due to structural damage to the walls and dry rot in the roof.

- She also said in her post that the developer has said that the pub will be rebuilt exactly as the original building. She also advised that the bricks and windows that have been stored alongside the original tiles from the drinking corridor.

Whether the demolition of the walls without consent was naivety or foul play on the developer's part I don't know, but given (a) demolition of a building in a conservation area is a criminal offence, and (b) our local councillor and council officers are now well aware of what has taken place, I think that the developer will make pretty certain that they restore the building to a good standard.

As for the proximity of the pub to the new building to the rear, that was established when the planning permission was granted. We'll have to wait and see whether that puts off potential operators, but Cllr Best also noted in her post that, according to the developer, a pub operator has been found.

BTW, I'm not sure who Heritage Angle is referring to when he/she refers to a 'certain STF user and pillar of Sydenham society', but if he/she has more information it would be great to hear it!