Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Re: Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by simon »

Lee, Antic still own the site you refer to and got planning permission for a bar, now lapsed. When the Greyhound became available they decided to use that instead.
I agree with the sceptisism about Antic's announcements; its not as if the Greyhound suddenly became smaller last week and they have been saying publicly that were going ahead quite recently.
I think it may be worth investigating the viablility of a community run pub as these have been established in other parts of the country and been succesful. However, the £400k that Purelake want could be a major sumbling block.
It is worth remembering that the Mayor made the area a conservation area in an attempt to keep Greyhound as a pub, inline with public opinion and I do hope Purelake remember that when considering their options.
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

Dorian wrote: And so there agent markets it as http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/proper ... denham-179
Pat Trembath wrote: The building was in such a bad state following the fire and being open to the weather over the past 4 years that it needed to be structurally sound (which it now is) before being marketed
But it was being marketed last year, when Antic "Owned" it, as suitable for a " Bookmakers".

This is all very confusing.
Interesting link D. The unit is hardly being marketed as a bar now is it? And A1, A2 & A3 usage cover wide rage of possibilities just not A4 (pubs/bars). So not sure what Antic Bars have been up to in Sydenham last year but I do know the company has been busy doing nothing elsewhere:

[i"]Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:49 PM
From Antic today:

Work on Knowles of Norwood starts next week.

Yes you read that right, and if you walk past sometime after Monday…you’ll see builders! Yep, honest to goodness hammer wielding ones! We’ll get a banner up soon, announcing our arrival so if you are not completely sure where it is, you’ll be left in no doubt .
Keep everything crossed that we don’t hit any snags and you will be have a lovely new local in no time!
Cheers"[/i]

Three months later those on the Knowles mailing list received the following notification - seems the company was hit with another unworkable site:

"Good Morning All

As some of you have noticed, things have slowed down at Knowles. There is a reason and I’m going to have to ask you to bear with us for a while because of it.

Basically on closer investigation our builders have discovered that the whole building needs to be under pinned. As the realisation of that sank in, we also realised that it would be the a perfect time to make some other large, structural changes that we may not have been able to do had it not been for this.
We are going to add good size toilets, a larger office (ok, not to your benefit) and a better cellar (definitely to your benefit, but in a roundabout way!) and I am afraid this is all going to take time.
***Huge collective groan!***

BUT we are still hoping to have your new pub open by Christmas, so can I ask once again that you bear with us until then.

I’m sorry it’s not better news, but please don’t lose heart, we won’t forget about you or just leave it. This will be done……… and think of the party when we finally get there!

Huge thanks for your unending patience!
Fi (and the whole Antic Team)"
http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/top ... t-norwood/

Needless to say none of the above occured and Knowles of Norwood is a dormant building site.

So back on topic - what's going to happen with this new empty shell of a unit? There's no way it's going to work as a public house - too darn pokey - now if I were a gambling man I know what my money would be on...
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

I have sent Wetherspoons an email again asking them to consider The Greyhound. The last time I spoke to them they were interested in opening a pub in Sydenham and this could be right up their street. If more of us email them then they might get the hint.

If anyone has been to the Postal Order in Crystal Palace you can see that small pubs do work, how big did Antic want it to be?

If Lewisham council could keep the building as A4 then it will have to be a pub. The history of the pub and its position should be more than enough for most businesses. Certainly the Railway Tavern are probably happy.
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

Andwar wrote:I have sent Wetherspoons an email again asking them to consider The Greyhound.
:shock: Incoming...
Annie

Post by Annie »

I love wetherspoon pubs,cosy and sociable places-bring it on! :D
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

Ditto... and you don't need to sell a kidney to afford a pint.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Yeay! :D
dickp

Post by dickp »

Having spend £4 a pint in both the Sparrowhawk and Alma in Crystal Palace last weekend, a Weatherspoons might be a welcome addition to Sydenham High Street....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Is the beer not cheap in the Railway, Alfred, Golden Lion, Windmill (which used to be a Wetherspoons), Bricklayers Arms or Foxy's?

I don't mind them, although their food is awful (can't anyone cook from scratch these days?), but can't we have something a little more aspirational?

If it's cheaper ale we are after, I'd rather it be a Samuel Smiths pub.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

leenewham wrote:
+1
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Pat Trembath wrote: Having talked to Purelake recently we were assured that although A1 and A2 business could in fact go into the Greyhound building Purelake are aware that Sydenham wants a pub on this site and that is what they are going to provide.
Which begs the question: why are their agents marketing it for A1 use (albeit alongside A3/A4 use)?!
Pat Trembath wrote:I'm also sure the building is on the radar of most breweries and independents.
Do you know this for sure?
Pat Trembath wrote:G-man. I also smiled at your suggestion that "some on here and the Syd Soc might want to organise a comittee to try to find a decent business to take it over."
Why so amusing? What's so wrong about someone contacting a pub operator to see if they might want to take on a landmark building which might otherwise stand empty?
simon

Post by simon »

Can someone please explain how "A1 and A2 business could in fact go into the Greyhound building" when the Mayor specifically used his powers to declare the site, and more of the high street, a conservation area so that wouldn't happen?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

biscuitman1978 wrote: Pat Trembath wrote:I'm also sure the building is on the radar of most breweries and independents.

Do you know this for sure?
Some good points biscuitman1978.

This entire escapade just doesnt add up. Antic " own" the Pub, then they cant get in to survey it, then its too small after they " owned" it.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

simon wrote:Can someone please explain how "A1 and A2 business could in fact go into the Greyhound building" when the Mayor specifically used his powers to declare the site, and more of the high street, a conservation area so that wouldn't happen?

Simon , the Conservation area protected the building from immediate demolition. It didnt protect its future use or in fact potential demolition, just made it more difficult for the owners.
Annie

Post by Annie »

leenewham wrote:Is the beer not cheap in the Railway, Alfred, Golden Lion, Windmill (which used to be a Wetherspoons), Bricklayers Arms or Foxy's?

I don't mind them, although their food is awful (can't anyone cook from scratch these days?), but can't we have something a little more aspirational?

Not at the Golden Lion, although thats ok cos they provide music.

If I go out for a drink (not often) Then I prefer a Wetherspoons so I go to penge,Its just my choice Lee,its not about how cheap the booze is, its the atmosphere of them I like, I like the little cosy niches,and the general decoration,not everyones taste maybe.but it is mine.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

leenewham wrote:Is the beer not cheap in the Railway, Alfred, Golden Lion, Windmill (which used to be a Wetherspoons), Bricklayers Arms or Foxy's?

I'd rather it be a Samuel Smiths pub.
Nope, the beer isn't cheaper at all, at least at the Golden Lion, it is as much as the Dolphin if not a bit more expensive, and owned by the same brewery. Not sure on the others, as they aren't particularly inviting boozers, for me.

Agree with you on Sam Smith's although they have come under fire, rightfully so, about how they have treated some customers of late, for that reason I haven't been to one in ages.

G-Man
simon

Post by simon »

I think its a bit unfair to tar all Sam Smiths pubs with the same brush just because one (the John Snow?) treated some customers poorly G-Man.
Thanks for the clarification Dorian; all the song and dance at the time led to the impression that the Mayor had, almost singlehandedly, saved the Greyhound. Surely there would still need to be an application for change of use though?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

The building benefits from A1,A3and A4 use classes already which are:-

A1 Shops, retail warehouses, sandwich bars, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices, dry cleaners, showrooms, domestic hire shops, funeral directors, internet cafés etc.

A3 Restaurants, snack bars, cafés

A4 Public house, wine-bar or other drinking establishment
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

simon wrote:I think its a bit unfair to tar all Sam Smiths pubs with the same brush just because one (the John Snow?) treated some customers poorly G-Man.
Fair comment Simon, I think similar things have happened in a few of their pubs, but yeah, overall you're right, but it just put a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm off for a pint of Old Brewery... :D

Cheers

G-Man
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Approaching the Greyhound from Kirkdale today, I was struck by just how tiny the remaining building is, and how ridiculous it looks cowering under the new buildings. Was this really what was approved?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image