Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie

Re: Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by Annie »

They have taken away the old buildings dare I say - Dignity, its almost toy like against the new structure. :roll:
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Andwar wrote:I have sent Wetherspoons an email again asking them to consider The Greyhound. The last time I spoke to them they were interested in opening a pub in Sydenham and this could be right up their street. If more of us email them then they might get the hint.
Could you PM me a copy of the email you sent? I'm thinking of contacting a couple of other operators to see what they think and thought it might be good to come from the same page as it were.

I'm going to contact Geronimo, the Capital Pub Company - who own the Florence in Herne Hill and The Bishop in ED - and Fullers, the latter have made a huge investment in buying up pubs over the last couple of years for one, although as this is a lease I'm not sure if they'd be interested.

G-Man
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

to those people wondering where the stone greyhpunds went see my posting on the Greyhound thread
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

This is the email I sent to Wetherspoons:

I contacted you some time ago regarding \'The Greyhound\' public house in Sydenham. This pub is the oldest known public house in Sydenham and is currently undergoing refurbishment by the developers Pure Lake. A pub chain called Antic were due to take over the place in the next few months but have apparently pulled out and so now it appears Pure Lake are looking for a new owner.

So I was wondering whether Wetherspoon might be interested in it again as it ticks most of the boxes which Wetherspoons want. It is historical, in a good location and Sydenham needs a decent pub at the top of the High Street.

This is the link to the Sydenham Forum page where the withdrawl was announced, http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7430

I hope that Wetherspoons do consider it as we would hate to see it become a bookies or McDonalds.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

and this is the reponse as of today:

Dear Mr Warnes,

Many thanks for contacting us with your site suggestion. I will forward it to the regional surveyor for the are for their further consideration.

With kind regards,

Cat Mitchell
Property Department

If anyone wants to ping them an email direct it appears the email address to use is:

Acquisitionsint@jdwetherspoon.co.uk

We could do a lot worse, ie No Pub.
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Voyageur wrote:Two old style pubs (Hollybush and Alma) closed over the last year or so up the hill in Crystal Palace but have re-opened as the Sparrowhawk and ..... wait for it..... The Alma. Both are significantly different in decor and ambience
[/quote]

The new Alma is exactly the same as the old Alma! But with four real ales on tap instead of one that's never in stock. They did get rid of the comfy sofas however.

Haven't tried the Sparrowhawk, the Hollybush was naff but at least you could get a seat and use the jukebox - a thing lacking from most pubs these days.
Last edited by JeeBee on 1 Mar 2012 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

JeeBee wrote:
Voyageur wrote:Two old style pubs (Hollybush and Alma) closed over the last year or so up the hill in Crystal Palace but have re-opened as the Sparrowhawk and ..... wait for it..... The Alma. Both are significantly different in decor and ambience
The new Alma is exactly the same as the old Alma! But with four real ales on tap instead of one that's never in stock. They did get rid of the comfy sofas however.

Haven't tried the Sparrowhawk, the Hollybush was naff but at least you could get a seat and use the jukebox - a thing lacking from most pubs these days.

Well...... the Alma has the same 4 walls and doors in the same place, but it really is quite different in many respects. the old Alma had big sports screens and basic pub grub - a mainly lads pub that I didn't much like apart from the sometimes excellent live music on offer. The new Alma has a far better wine selection, pretty good food, rather nice decor, NO sports screens (hurrah) and 3 lovely fires going on colder days. It is far more popular with women than before it seems and I am far more drawn to it as a result (being a woman and all).
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

I think the building is too small for a Wetherspoons, however it is a good size for a Sam Smiths, and a good location for them being fairly close to their pub in Anerley.
Okepinay

Post by Okepinay »

please see my post here on 5 October 2011 :-

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... =20#p52889
okepinay wrote: Re: The pub on the kirkdale roundabout
by Okepinay » 5 Oct 2011 06:45

I have a long standing bet with my partner that the pub will never open!
It was just a way to get the go ahead for the building of the flats etc.
I would never be surprised if it caught fire!!!

Part of the master plan to get planning permission for the 85% of the area.
They probably told Steve Bullock they would be giving away pies so he would authorise it.

What an absolute eyesore the place looks .................. still ............... You don’t always get what you wish for.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I don't think they're that bad. And regarding the pub, let's just see what happens eh? I for one hope you lose your bet.

It is a shame though, as I went to the opening of the Catford Tavern last night, Antic have turned it into a great boozer.

G-Man
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Pat Trembath wrote:I am certain that The Greyhound will continue to be a landmark and a viable, aspirational business, G-man. I also smiled at your suggestion that "some on here and the Syd Soc might want to organise a comittee to try to find a decent business to take it over."
I've been thinking about this, the reason I wrote this is because I never know what you're doing for the local area, it would be great if you could let us know what you're doing for the Greyhound and other projects via this forum, so wires don't cross and we can get involved and help where possible.

We all want the Greyhound to be something Sydenham can be proud of so let's work together.

G-Man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This is very regretable but to me not surprising. As mentioned before the devolpers artists impression managed to give a very false impression of the site.

It might as well be incorporated in the devolpment now otherwise it will just sit there and fall down

Having known the building since 1950 it makes me very upset although exactly as I expected
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

The existing public house will be retained, albeit with the demolition of some
existing elements at the side and rear, to provide a self-contained two-storey
A3/A4 unit located in the centre of a new public square. The majority of the
surrounding buildings would be demolished, with the exception of the cottage
fronting Spring Hill.

The above is a quote from the Planning Committee report dated 21 January 2010 - http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... ry2010.PDF setting out the planning application for The Greyhound Public House.

My understanding is that the pub is being marketed with the current A3/A4 use - restaurant/pub/bar - and I am sure there would be a number of objections to a change of use.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Let us hope some cafe or pub wants to move in , but I have my doubts

I am afraid the devolpers have acted as one would expect.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

rshdunlop wrote:Approaching the Greyhound from Kirkdale today, I was struck by just how tiny the remaining building is, and how ridiculous it looks cowering under the new buildings. Was this really what was approved?
It is indeed. The decision notice is at http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATEDOCS/65370_1.pdf It identifies the drawings to which the permission is tied. Most of those drawings, including those showing the height of the buildings, are at http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATE ... 842_22.pdf
Chris Best wrote:My understanding is that the pub is being marketed with the current A3/A4 use - restaurant/pub/bar - and I am sure there would be a number of objections to a change of use.
The pub is being marketed for A1 use, as well as A3 and A4 use - see http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/files/ ... aa612e.pdf

The planning permission provides for the pub building to be used for A3 or A4 use. However, change of use from A3 or A4 use to A1 or A2 use doesn't require planning permission, unless the planning permission specifically withdraws that right (and in this case it doesn't).

More information on changes of use is at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... angeofuse/ (scroll down to section on 'Changes of use not requiring planning permission')
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Well then Buscuitman1978 let's just hope that Chris Best and the Sydenham Society get behind it being kept as a pub or even a restaurant so we have something Sydenham can be proud of.

Cheers

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

G-Man wrote:Well then Buscuitman1978 let's just hope that Chris Best and the Sydenham Society get behind it being kept as a pub or even a restaurant so we have something Sydenham can be proud of.
Agreed!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

We can but hope, but not sure it will happen. But lets be positive .

I think far too small for a Modern Pub. Might be OK as coffee shop. Decent resturant would I think find the site would not meet their requirements.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I wish people would stop being so negative. Of course it's big enough for a pub. The Alma in Crystal Palace is a tiny boozer but still works. Pubs don't have to be massive to have a good offering, they just need to what they do well. We should be writing about what a great pub it would make in a great location instead of dismissing it, how else can we attract investment?!?!?! Especially when this forum is so high in google searches.

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said . I also have been in a great many smaller pubs , but unfortunately these are the type of establishments which are closing in droves . Most people now considering opening a pub there would be requiring space for cooking and serving food. You say the Greyhound is big enough. Maybe you like me have been to the old Greyhound. I think the bit now left is well reduced from the old Pub.

I do hope you are right and do not mean to be negative bit can only say what I think.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Eagle you seem intent on putting any prospective buyer off by banging on about how it’s not as big as it use to be and how smaller pubs are closing down in droves. It’s in a prime location right by the station. If it can attract the evening commuter traffic then surely it will do well. The amount of people waiting at the station in the morning at around 8.00 a.m seems to have doubled in the last year or so. The point being that there appears to be a lot more people living in Sydenham with a bit of cash to spend on a few pints after work a couple of nights a week at least.

The only pub in Sydenham with any decent music is Friday nights at the Golden Lion. Having another pub with a decent music offering could make Sydenham a good night out! I’ve been out in Palace quite often recently and things have definitely changed for the better. There are 4 or 5 good pubs (most of which aren’t big) and its buzzing at the weekends.

I’m with G-Man in thinking that people need to be more positive. This attitude of expecting the worst and therefore limiting disappointment is not going to help attract new business to the area.