Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
andyjamesy

Re: Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by andyjamesy »

I'm sorry but I had to comment. I haven't read all posts here so apologies if this has already been covered.

Irrespective of what the Greyhound will be used for, i cannot believe that most of this amazing Victorian building has been demolished. I walked past it the other day and was very sad at the ugly site emerging on the corner.

Re-built to be a pub?! Which good pubs are in modern buildings? This beautiful historic building with its AMAZING interior tiles should have been preserved no matter what. Yet another piece of London history gone forever for some cheap, rubbish housing.

Sydenham will never be a Crystal Palace or Herne Hill if all we get is modern, cheap housing and nothing else.

Completely gutted and disgusted with every Councillor/decision maker who allowed this to happen.

Why on earth was that building not listed or protected???
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I could be wrong ( not often but does happen ) but I thought the Greyhound had obtained listed status.
The problem is that no one told the builders on site that day. I suggest we do not let these builders anywhere near an historic building again.

I agree all these new buildings will in 20 years look very dreary and drag the area down. You only have to look at Canal Walk , of Venner Rd , for what a disaster 70's buildings could be.
marymck

Post by marymck »

You might think our MP could have a word. But I couldn't possibly comment.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

andyjamesy wrote:I'm sorry but I had to comment. I haven't read all posts here so apologies if this has already been covered.

Irrespective of what the Greyhound will be used for, i cannot believe that most of this amazing Victorian building has been demolished. I walked past it the other day and was very sad at the ugly site emerging on the corner.

Re-built to be a pub?! Which good pubs are in modern buildings? This beautiful historic building with its AMAZING interior tiles should have been preserved no matter what. Yet another piece of London history gone forever for some cheap, rubbish housing.

Sydenham will never be a Crystal Palace or Herne Hill if all we get is modern, cheap housing and nothing else.

Completely gutted and disgusted with every Councillor/decision maker who allowed this to happen.

Why on earth was that building not listed or protected???
Here's a quick summary of the recent history as I understand it:

- Original plans for the site involved complete demolition of the Greyhound

- The Sydenham Society and others expressed conern about the loss of the Greyhound building and managed to get much of it locally listed and the area within which it is located designated as a conservation area

- The local listing meant that the council committed to using its powers to protect the character and setting of the building, so far as it was able, in making a decision on any planning application relating to the building

- The conservation area designation meant that conservation area consent was required for demolition

- Hence, a planning application was submitted for a development scheme that included a retained Greyhound building

- With this in mind, there was understandable concern when the rear and flank walls were demolished and roof removed without conservation area consent.

- Cllr Best subsequently advised (see earlier post on this thread) that Purelake, the developer, has been asked for an explanation of why the demolition took place, although she reports that the initial explanation was that it was due to structural damage to the walls and dry rot in the roof.

- She also said in her post that the developer has said that the pub will be rebuilt exactly as the original building. She also advised that the bricks and windows that have been stored alongside the original tiles from the drinking corridor.

Whether the demolition of the walls without consent was naivety or foul play on the developer's part I don't know, but given (a) demolition of a building in a conservation area is a criminal offence, and (b) our local councillor and council officers are now well aware of what has taken place, I think that the developer will make pretty certain that they restore the building to a good standard.

In summary, I think it's unfair to say that councillors and other decision-makers are at fault here. The fault lies with the developer, which demolished much of the pub without consent (albeit for an apparently sensible reason, i.e. it was falling down). It's now incumbent upon them to rebuild the pub to a high standard so that it resembles as closely as possible what previously stood on the site. That is, we are told, what the developer is doing. I know many readers of this forum are watching closely!
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

I walked past the site this morning and noted that work has at last beun on rebuilding the walls of the Greyhound. The original brick seems to be in use for the side walls but the rear walls look like breeze block construction. Perhaps this is something to do with the design for the artwork on the rear wall, but I do hope they will be as much of the original materials as can be used for the rebuilt structure. Quite a lot of work seems to have happened in the last 48 hours.
Search East

Post by Search East »

Got a decent view of the pub rebuilding yesterday, when the 202 bus from Crystal Palace was a double decker.

Pleased to see the work progressing after a bit of a lull from the basement being rebuilt. Still, they may have had to wait to make sure the new foundations were holding.

Is there any further news on who going to be running this pub?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

The soil will have undergone investigation already so that they could calculate a new foundation depth.
These foundations will already be in place.

There is no guesswork about seeing if the new foundations are suitable. They can just crack-on re-building
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I cant wait to see the results,I hope it all turns out well.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lovely Sunday Lunch and Real Ales at Grape and Grain , Upper Norwood. That is what you call a good pub.
coll

Post by coll »

I also saw the work on the new building. Is it me or does it seem to be lacking actual psychical depth? I can't imagine fitting an entire pub (bar, seating, kitchen and all) in that tiny space. My other half joked it's the depth of two refrigerators back to back.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Haha, im laughing but,I also thought it seemed very dolls housey.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have mentioned before that the old building had some annexes which are not being rebuilt. I will still be surprised of they find a Pub company willing to Purchase, but I have very occasionally been wrong.
simono

Post by simono »

Yet another planning application put in for the site (must be at least 20). This time to make the basement part of the pub/restaurant, and 2 maisonettes on the first floor and a mezanine. Where will it end?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Let's face facts, the 'Greyhound' pub is no more. I stand by my below post on this subject:

gillyjp wrote:Also my view, for what it's worth, is why throw good money after bad - knock the remaining few bricks down (which lets face it is what remains of the original Greyhound building). Build a small square with a green, perhaps a water feature and some flower beds and seats. Of course that will never happen - there is no money to be made from that solution - just a rather lovely entrance at the Sydenham Gateway.
simon

Post by simon »

Hey Simono, could you please post details of the latest planning app, thanks.
I disagree gillyjp. The continued dilligence of local people can stop Purelake from reneging on the aggrements they entered into when the first obtained permission. The "good money after bad" is Purelakes money and should come from their profit on the deal. The plan for two more flats is just an attempt by the developers to rinse more profit from the deal.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

simon wrote:Hey Simono, could you please post details of the latest planning app, thanks.
I think Simono is referring to application ref DC/12/80236/X.

It was submitted some time ago (around 14/05/12), but there was insufficient supporting material for it to be registered. It now says registered on 20/06/12, so I suspect the additional material required has now been provided.

Supporting documents are yet to be uploaded to the Council's website.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

simon wrote: I disagree gillyjp. The continued dilligence of local people can stop Purelake from reneging on the aggrements they entered into when the first obtained permission.
Did the original permission involve such a small pub building? gillyp is right in the spirit of her post. Okay, so there technically is a pub building. But it is tiny. Seriously tiny. About the depth of my living room. If they fit a bar in there we are all going to have to sit on it.
Last edited by Rachael on 25 Jun 2012 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Why not skip the flats above and make another bar/restaurant then I think it would be viable.As it is now it would be really small to say the least !!!
I think it is really the building company being greedy wanting to make flats above the pub, when all us sydenhamites want is a reasonably size pub at the gateway to Sydenham.
I bet Sainsbury {who have the monopoly} in this area have a larger space.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i took these yesterday.

At least the re-build is progressing
Last edited by ALIB on 26 Jun 2012 10:15, edited 2 times in total.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Full Plannning details are here

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=66511

you can email your objections/comments to planning@lewisham.gov.uk

Citing the reference number DC/12/80236/X