show yourself...continued

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I saw that artcicle too Stringfellow. But I think there's too much paranoia these days. If someone really wants to come and kill you they will probably manage to get your details regardless and how likely is that? Try being a nice person so that they won't want to murder you if the first place. :)
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Thanks Juwlz, I can't say I'm particuarly bothered there are loonies everywhere and if they're gonna get you they're gonna get you!

I just thought it was rather ironic having seen this thread going on for a while.

That said I work in the finance industry and I know exactly how easy it is to trace people through the internet/BT/electoral roll/Friends Reunited and sometimes just by putting their name into Google can bring up some surprising information (if you haven't been sufficiently egocentric to put your own name in you really should give it a go)!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Steve Grindlay wrote:The assailant traced his victim "using electoral records". I'm sure most of you know that two electoral registers are compiled. One, which lists everybody who is eligible to vote, is not publically accessible. The other, on which the online version is based, only shows those voters who did not tick the box on the registration form asking to be excluded.

Ticking this box seems a reasonable precaution, as does being ex-directory. I was surprised, on checking my own postcode, that almost all my neighbours, their partners, children over 18 and tenants are listed in the online version of the register (I also note that Greg, like me, is not).

Thanks for pointing this out Steve. I was 100% certain that everytime I filled out the Electoral Roll I 'opted-out' - I'll take it up with the Council.

I'm surprised but not wary or scared. How many of us quite happily confirm our postcode, D.O.B. and telephone number (how many give out the first line of our address as the 'final security check'?) when our 'bank' calls us? This is single-layer authentication and quite frankly is pointless, indeed, how do you know it is you're bank? So long as you know these details then you're in (if you're a criminal). Just because your bank asks for a passcode in addition DOES NOT make you any less exposed. Unless there is some form of biometric fail-safe then you're as vulnerable as the day you're born.

I think this is part of a wider debate. Ok, I might get a bit more junk mail than I'd like but other than that I don't see it as a real threat. A 'chugger' stops you in the street "excuse me Sir, give £5 a month to Shelter to help the homeless" as long as he/she has that 'official' laminated badge and lurid vest then they're perfectly legitamite...aren't they??...I think you get the picture. As soon as we're on an internet forum we can't even give out our given name for fear of the burgulars beating a path - paranoia, pure and simple.

n.B. For those who've taken umbrage with my posts it would seem you can find out where I currently live. Please excuse the state of the frontage - I promise I'm not squatting there (I'm having a man come round next week to paint it before I move to Sydenham Hill). Can you keep the projectiles to soft-boiled or raw eggs and I'm actually quite partial to white lillies so won't take them as the death threat you may intend but instead will be most thankful.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Sorry Greg, I didn't explain that well. You and I do not appear in the public register.
Last edited by Steve Grindlay on 20 Oct 2006 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Its all very well opting out of the phone directory etc. but what if someone wants to trace you for a nice reason? What if they are urgently trying to contact you because you've been left a fortune by a long-lost relative? :lol:
The fact is most people are attacked by someone they already know pretty well, in fact someone who lives with them already,someone who already knows where they live in other words.
Don't have nightmares. :shock:

Its the financial stuff that's the worry. Not so long ago I had my card 'cloned' by someone who then happened to start spending my money in England when I was busy spending it in another country, so luckily the bank noticed straight away and it was obvious that it wasn't me spending the money. The bank refunded the money to me, but if I hadn't been abroad at the time I wonder if I would have had trouble proving that the transactions weren't made by me.
I had problems for a little while afterwards when if I made an unusual transaction with my card I would have to wait ages while the bank verified it. I haven't a clue how or where it got cloned. There's not much the individual can do about this sort of thing it seems, even the bank said as much.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Steve Grindlay wrote:Sorry Greg, I didn't explain that well. You and I do not appear in the public register.
Oh - good to hear it. Thanks Steve.
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Can't we just leave it at some peope don't want to reveal their full name? You shouldn't weight posts more just because they come from someone using their full name. Not least because police advice is not to do it.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

still_robbo wrote:Can't we just leave it at some peope don't want to reveal their full name? You shouldn't weight posts more just because they come from someone using their full name. Not least because police advice is not to do it.
Sure thing still_robbo.

Odd first name that, still?

*very, very, poor joke*
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

thanks for the historical correction Steve. You can tell that i should have paid more attention at school, but somewhere in the dark reccesses of my memory was a vague recollection of a woman throwing herself under a horse.
The previous posts have generally specified a relutance to post would be down to a need for privacy- or not to give out too many personal details. I would agree with this viewpoint. However, if there are really nasty people out there, they will always find ways to trace you. No defences are 100%. But I do think some people feel vulnerable by posting, which is a shame.

Is this perhaps another case of the very small minority, detrimentally influencing the majority? what happened to democracy?

Thanks for the welcome messages. I hope my posts are stimulating rather than offensive.

Ali
KCS

Re: show yourself...continued

Post by KCS »

ALIB wrote:but it does seem a shame that we have so many visitors to the site, but not very many people posting their opinions.
I've been using the Internet since 1996 and read this site for at least a year, I don't post too much as learned pretty quickly since 1996 everyone has a view/opinion and therefore reading is more enjoyable than writing.

I don't post my opinions too much as I know there will always be others with a different opinion which are deservedly so and don't want to waste my time with difference of opinions. I feel I am a 'jack of all trades and master of none' sort of person hence my expertise would always be bettered so to speak.
KCS

Post by KCS »

Steve Grindlay wrote:how many give out the first line of our address as the 'final security check'?) when our 'bank' calls us?
I never give out any info when called on the phone and asked for, it's surprising how many people do though and then wonder why their bank account is being used for fraud.
OLD SCHOOL

Sydenham Boy's

Post by OLD SCHOOL »

Yo Dudes,
Stumbled on this forum and thought why not!
Major respect to winding up the Park Keepers at Mayow Park (don't av park keepers any more) Causing havoc at Forest Hill boys and meeting the lads from Roger More. Who set the Science block alight at FHB. Chucking the 1st years in the pond. Making metal flying stars in DT.
As for the Two Brewers - Quality get 2 gether, that or the Rutland. Have some very fond memories there.
Any way.....I have got lots of events I could ramble on about but understand that this will not push every ones buttons. Take care and c u all later's